Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Housekeeping, Decorating, and Furnishing Thread • Page 18

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChaseTx, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My weekend is gonna BLOW. Once I ripped up all the carpet last night, by the time I was cutting it into smaller pieces, rolling/taping it up and bringing out to curb, it was like a 3 hour job so I saved the rest for tomorrow.

The glue isn't heavy per se, it's just randomly everywhere. Looks like someone walked around just dripping it. I think I'll be OK just scrubbing it with a flat shovel. We're putting in vinyl flooring, so I'm not so sure I have to scrub it off completely considering the glue isn't raised much or thick.

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Do you have a palm sander? That might save you grinding away with a shovel.

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

No :(

I do have a few handscrapers I was going to try

4. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My body is broken. Spent a good 5 hours today scraping up the glue and wooden nail strips. The nail strips were super easy, just slammed a flat head shovel into them and they popped right up.

Scraping the glue was backbreaking work, haha. It was just all over the place and random places. Used a little handheld paint scraper (and the flathead shovel. Also filled up 10 32-gallon bags with carpet padding.

Looking forward to getting this basement finished.

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

It's a weird feeling being at work while contractors are at your house renovating a basement. Been texting my wife every 10 minutes to make sure everything is going OK...

Ken likes this.
  6. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

We have a basement door in the house (obviously), but also have outside access. We just locked the upstairs door so they could only do work in the basement. Both of us worked, I wasn't comfortable letting them walk around my house.

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Thankfully my wife only works part time and she creates her own schedule so she's home most of the time. When she's not, her mom is over watching the kids so someone is always home.

8. Yasqueen4

Trusted

Can I still post here even if I'm not an adult Chase?

9. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Living in the middle of nowhere has destroyed my expectations of rent. Like rn I live in a really cute building that's downtown has exposed brick and i love it. Rent is reasonable cause it's a small town in a rural area nobody wants to live in. When I research others towns I'd live i just cringe at the price of rent. exposed brick is a must for me tho. Unfortunately those buildings are usually expensive af so I should prob lower that expectation. But they're just so pretty.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

BASEMENT PROJECT UPDATE: Contractors finished Day 10 today. Framing was completed in two days, electrician came last Wednesday to install extra electrical outlets. dry wall was put up last Thursday/Friday. Ceiling was finished this Wednesday. First coat of primer was put on today.

Only thing left that needs to be done is the flooring (we're doing vinyl flooring Monday and Tuesday) and the electrician is coming back to finish the lights (tomorrow morning) then they will paint the walls. Looking like it'll all be done Wednesday or Thursday.

Just want this to be all over tbh. It's been stressful. Especially because we had to take EVERYTHING out of our basement and put it upstairs so our first floor looks like a war zone.

MrCon likes this.
  11. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Pictures when done!

My new home-ownership thing was having (I think) my neighbour's mother come and tell me off for closing the garage door too loudly. Not sure what magic she thinks I can do. It's a garage door. It makes noise...

12. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah man, don't forget those pics! We re-did our basement last year, best investment we made. Took an old cruddy basement and transformed it into a awesome livable space.

13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

GUYS. HOLY FUCK ALERT.

So, I live in northeast Ohio and we got P.O.U.N.D.E.D. with rain last night. Like, most we've had in probably a decade. Anyways, we always had what we thought was a small crack in our foundation on our basement wall, that was never much of a concern. Maybe like 2 or 3 times, it'd be damp to the touch after a storm but never dripped to the floor or anything.

Well, last night, I was doing laundry and went downstairs and where the crack was, I noticed a decent amount of dampness on the floor where the crack was/is (our contractors put up the drywall last week). The water did not get on the drywall at all, but rather seeped in through the 2x4 on the ground. Nor was there flooding, it just looked like someone spilled a cup of water in front of the wall.

So I had the contractors cut out the wall today (that they just put in) to seal the crack and it turns out, the crack actually ran all the way up the wall (we had installation always there, so never noticed it). They had to rip out a ton of drywall and they sealed the shit out of the crack. They also went outside and measured where the crack was inside vs outside, and found the crack on the outside too and sealed that up. What a nightmare though. Wish we would have caught this last week because it probably just set me back another $1,000 or so and more time finishing the basement.

14. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Dude, be thankful they caught it early! We checked everything we could before we put up the framing and drywall, I spent two full days drylocking it - that stuff is painful to paint onto the foundation.

15. ncarrab Nov 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 6, 2017)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm kicking myself so much that we didn't tell them to do this last week before they put up the drywall. We mentioned it to him but told him not to worry about it because we didn't think it was an issue. But yeah, I'm glad we caught it before they painted, put in the flooring, baseboards, etc. Last night's rain was BAD. We had tornados in several areas around us. A lot of homes in our neighborhood flooded and alot of basements in our area flooded. Come to think of it, we were lucky just to have the small amount.

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Finally finished:

274B4B87-4204-4A9D-99D8-848EE07F90E2.jpeg

A6A78563-26E5-4DF9-985A-2159E35A18AE.jpeg

76663A08-1557-4CCC-AB5D-C6F203F216FF.jpeg C92CA1B5-CAA5-4396-BE18-686769DDDBED.jpeg 0E620990-CE44-4703-AD14-D6B0D6C72C02.jpeg 84BC81B1-EC5B-428D-8D3F-E2ABD4F8AE11.jpeg

ghostxvapor, Ken, RJ Knorr and 4 others like this.
  17. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Hell yeah! Nice and clean. What kind of floor did you use?

18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Thanks! It's a vinyl flooring. I'm not totally sure on the specifics. My wife picked it out. We're going to get some large square rugs to put in a few areas.

19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

thesoftskeleton and ChaseTx like this.
  20. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

not sure if this entirely fits this thread, but...

tried out a clothes steamer yesterday because i hate ironing (to be fair, i hate ironing because i nitpick and end up spending 35 minutes on one shirt, drenched in sweat from the heat and pressure to get the shirt perfect) and the first shirt went well. and took much less time than ironing. second shirt i overfilled the water tank (i guess) and the damn thing essentially blew up, boiled over and burned the shit out of my hand. guess i should have worn the oven mitt thing it came with.

back to ironing.

21. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I finally gave in and bought the expensive bed frame I had been eyeing for about a year... the delivery guy dropped the boxes in the dining room, I signed for them, and he left. Then I start unpacking them and notice a fist-sized hole in the headboard box, which turned out to go all the way through the back of the headboard itself. It's not compromising the stability and it's on the back (so not visible), but I paid $100 for the delivery and want my money back. I've never complained and demanded money back for anything before... is it worth trying?

22. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Yes, definitely

23. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

yeah, for sure call / email about that. take pics of the box / headboard too and send them with right away to save time on any potential back and forth.

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

When I bought my house in 2014, I bought patio furniture online. It was like a $400 set. When I put it together, I noticed there was a decent size scratch on the top of the table. Honestly, it didn’t bother me much but I took a picture of it anyway and sent it to company and they sent me another table top free of charge. I still have the new tabletop boxed up in my garage. I never even opened it.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  25. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

100% yes. Take photos and if you get push back ask for the manager, or say "Who else can I speak with that is able to help me address this?". Good luck

Mr. Serotonin likes this.