Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Housekeeping, Decorating, and Furnishing Thread • Page 17

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChaseTx, Mar 13, 2016.

1. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Love this thread.

The amount of time I've spent researching bookshelves... un-fucking-real. You know you're an adult (and maybe have a problem) when you still get excited as shit about a cool hunk of wood/metal/whatever to store your other shit on even after hundreds of hours of research.

2. Kiana Aug 20, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 20, 2017)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

So when I moved I took part of my sisters sectional cause I didn't know if the whole thing would fit. Its a comfy couch but since it's part of a sectional, only one side has an arm rest and so the cushions kinda slide off and its crowded for even 2 ppl to sit on. I tried bringing up the rest of the sectional but I had a Ross Pivot moment and it wouldn't fit up the stairwell. So I ordered another small couch and decided I'd also keep the small sectional piece. So my couch got here today and its cute and turquoise, but omg I don't like it!! Its rly firm and a tad too high up for me. Its cute and imma keep it cause I need a pop of color and I'm lacking seating so much that I can never have guests, but I was hoping it'd be the main couch. Imma def stick to the sectional as my go to cause while its not as cute, its super comfy! The blue couch had soooo many good reviews and its not horrible but its not amazing either. Its not like a lounge all day and take a nap couch.

3. marsupial jones

Did you buy this new couch online without testing a model in a store or anything? Gutsy! Also, it will probably get more comfortable as time goes on and you break it in, so there may be a ray of hope there.

4. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah I had to read like 1000 reviews cause I didn't like any of the options in the few stores we have here.

5. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

So, I just picked up my keys for the first place I've ever bought. Now I have to be a grown up and paint it and put carpets in. This can only go well...

RJ Knorr and Kiana like this.
  6. MrCon

Sit rep: The oven is broken, the fridge sounds sick, I've ripped a hole in the kitchen wall covering (it's like cardboard underneath the paint??) and I broke a light bulb in my hand. Running smooth!

Also, anyone got any experience with re-painting walls? Did you just clean them before painting or did you sand them too?

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  7. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I think it generally looks a little better if you lightly sand first.

MrCon likes this.
  8. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I can't believe I just found this thread. Heaven

Serenity Now, Ken and ChaseTx like this.
  9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I repainted every room in my house. You'll definitely want to lightly sand first. Also, patch any small holes and let it sit for a while before painting.

Mr. Serotonin and Ken like this.
  10. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I've always sanded as well.

Ken and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  11. MrCon

Time to buy a little palm/orbital sander...

12. MrCon

Just came home from the hardware shop with 12 tester pots of paint.

So, my night will be spent smearing it all over the place so that I can have a look at it tomorrow before I start to buy a lot of it.

13. marsupial jones

One of those weekends where I clean out everything I haven't used in a year or more - and probably more on top of that. I hate having extra shit lying around and I'm not a knickknack person at all so my apartment is usually pretty sparse but it's been awhile since I went through feel it. Feel less and less stressed and weirdly irritated with each bag of nonsense being taken down to the dumpsters.

14. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Recently my wife and went through our things and brought a ton of stuff to goodwill. We plan on going through more stuff and doing it again very soon. Letting stuff go feels good. Before I was a hoarder. Someone else can use it more than me. Probably take the DVDs and CDs to either 52nd and Charles or Princeton Record Exchange.

ChaseTx likes this.
  15. marsupial jones

Just destroyed my bedroom furniture and it feels sooooooo good to have all that space back. Fuck off bedroom furniture I bought out of boredom that took up 85% of my bedroom space and made the room look super super dark. Fuck off indeed.

16. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

We moved into a new house last week and the family room has wallpaper in it. We thought it wouldn't be too terrible to rip it down but it turns out underneath this layer is another layer of wallpaper that had been painted over. We hired a guy to remove it for us and he spent all day today and got maybe half way done. This is turning into a much longer and more expensive project than we had figured.

17. sleepy

pale earnhardt jr.

We went and got candles for our room today in the meantime, lil things like this and cleaning/reorganizing been keeping us "enthusiastic" till we have something all the way ours, not just a room or something. Not much, but something to make it ours.

18. MrCon

Over the last 8 days I have painted an entire 2 bedroom flat to remove every trace of magnolia paint. I never ever want to see magnolia again.

19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I hired a contractor to finish my basement. The work is starting next week. Holy shit has it been hell clearing everything out of my basement to make room for them to get the work done. We pretty much had 4-years of storage down there and have to get everything out to give them room to put up the walls, ceiling, flooring, etc. I still have to rip out all the carpet that the previous homeowners had installed in the basement (for some reason - even though it wasn't finished) and I'm really, really not looking forward to doing that.

ghostxvapor likes this.
  20. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Can you pay friends in beer? Can seem less daunting that way.

lish likes this.
  21. MrCon

Unless the carpet has been glued down or something, it should be trivial to get it out. Get yourself a good stanley knife and just slice it into chunks you can roll up and carry yourself. When I was sorting my place out I had a couple of carpets replaced and the guys who did the fitting had the old carpet gone in 5 minutes, using only knives.

If it's glued down though, best of luck. :teethsmile:

RJ Knorr likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Oh yeah, i'm not worried about ripping it out, that'll only take literally 5 minutes, haha. I'm more worried about ripping it into a zillion strips in order for my garbage company to take it from the curb. I think they have to be in like 3-foot rolls or something. When I moved into my house, we ripped carpet out of every single room (to replace it with new carpet) and it was awful because there were a billion staples everywhere all throughout each room. With the basement, I'm pretty sure the staples are just along the corners of the walls and the rest is just kind of laying there. I don't think it's glued down. I guess I'll find out here soon in the next couple of days/nights.

MrCon likes this.
  23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Fuck my life the previous owners sprayed random glue down everywhere underneath the padding, so the padding is just like ripping off into little pieces. Getting the carpet up kind of sucked too. I cut up and rolled up about 20 rolls of 4-foot carpet rolls and placed them on my curb last night. God help me if the garbage doesn't take them today. They told me to tie them up, didn't have anything to tie it, so I just used thick black masking tape, however due to the dampness, not sure how well it held up over night.

Sometime this weekend I'm gonna have to scrape up all the padding that is glued down with a flat head shovel maybe? Then there is wooden strips along all the walls with nails into the cement, so that should be fun to get up too...

I'm really trying to figure out why a homeowner would professionally install carpet into an unfinished basement with no drywall and/or finished ceiling. Like, what's the point?

24. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Go check your storage barefoot? That shit pays for itself in no time.

Kidding, sorry removing carpet sucks when glued down..

25. MrCon

Seems a bit weird to use the nailed edging board and then heavily glue it down too?

But then, carpeting an unfinished room seems a bit weird too...