Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Housekeeping, Decorating, and Furnishing Thread • Page 20

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChaseTx, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Mr. Dennis

On the Free from PSG

And expensive

RJ Knorr, johnnyutes, MrCon and 2 others like this.
  2. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Interested to see how this turns out.
    I have a shelving project I have been procrastinating on myself.

3. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Flippancy aside, owning your own place does have its perks, it just happens to come with a new set of problems too.

Being able to decorate my whole place, replace carpets and modify things as I wanted meant I felt more at home than I ever have, so that's nice.

It also introduces interesting new questions. For example:

"Do I want a new guitar, or shall I replace the remaining old carpets first?"

A tough choice, to be sure!

So there you go, aspiring real grown ups, a little positivity!

4. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Let us know how it turns out! To no ones surprise in here, my dad and I built one as well. I'll have to see if I have any pictures of it.

5. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I need to figure out how to buy curtains and hang them. How have I never done this? I'm 27 :crylaugh:

awwgereee, GrantCloud and MrCon like this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I can't hang shit. We finished our basement in November and I framed like 15 different things I want to hang down there, but still haven't hung anything up.

My wife actually has hung everything we've ever put up (including curtains) on the walls, haha. She's far more handy than I am.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  7. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I should start an handyman service! I love doing all this stuff, haha.

I wish I had a better picture of this, it goes all the way up the stairs. It was one of the most rewarding projects for me, it looks fantastic.

[​IMG]

Did this for my in-laws

[​IMG]

Again, crappy picture; rhe attic was the focus originally, but you can see pictures on the side.

[​IMG]

awwgereee, ChaseTx, RJ Knorr and 3 others like this.
  8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I found a better picture, this is when it was just finished (we've since then changed the colors of the wall to grey)

[​IMG]

Also, another huge DIY. tearing up a two car driveway and put down grass.

[​IMG]

So the drive way comes from the street, as a single car, then once it hits the back of the house, it goes wider into two. I broke it up where it starts to spit. And then we put a fence up at the end of the remaining drive way (if that makes sense).

[​IMG]

This picture explains it a little better, the fence goes to the brick wall, in front of that water drain. Our backyard became much bigger (better for our dog too!), and we've since put in a huge vegetable garden in this space.

[​IMG]

spiffa0, awwgereee, ChaseTx and 5 others like this.
  9. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

My girlfriend's parents bought me a drill for Christmas... hahaha. It's nice to have and I'm comfortable using it on wood and things outside, but using it inside kind of terrifies me.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

When my wife and I had an apartment together before we were married, I tried to hang shelves and just totally fucked up the walls. Now that I own my own home, I have reservations of ever trying to hang anything. I just feel like I'm going to totally ruin my wall.

Ken likes this.
  11. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

For the first time I’m getting new furniture for my apartment and not hand me downs or garage sale finds!

Couch and chair:

1FFCBB75-8C71-4BDD-A513-2C3F8EB96CEA.jpeg

8FE9CCEA-D434-427B-8A2B-B217C6E59699.jpeg

Coffee and end table:

18BB3B03-1ACA-465A-B823-D9CCC2A0C92F.jpeg

6A8617E3-6D68-47F0-8DCF-257A2E614232.jpeg

Kitchen bar stools:

9647BB59-D08A-4EB0-A507-C70047A2C918.jpeg

awwgereee, ChaseTx, RJ Knorr and 5 others like this.
  12. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

I've been trying to convince my wife that our dog needs one of these Ikea couches
    [​IMG]

ChaseTx, Joe4th, dylan and 2 others like this.
  13. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

dylan and Ken like this.
  14. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

dylan likes this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, that whole setup is quite nice. Where's it from? Looks similar to stuff on www.article.com

dylan likes this.
  16. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Thanks! Yeah, the couch and chair are ridiculously solid and comfy. It’s Flexsteel brand, I got it at Nebraska furniture mart. Same with the rest of the stuff. I was trying to go for the whole “mid-century modern” look originally but none of the stuff that fit my budget that was in that style was very comfy. So the coffee table and end table hopefully pull more of that style out in my place.

My parents have bought Flexsteel stuff for as long as they’ve been able to and it’s held up for decades so I really recommend the brand and I’m lucky that the ones I ended up buying were on close our sales.

Now I need an area rug to go with it all and I have no idea what to go with. Suggestions?

Ken likes this.
  17. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

I've bought area rugs at ikea haha

18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

My wife and I are looking for a recliner/rocker for our living room corner (we took out a small sofa to put in our finished basement) and we went to Levin and this was the best thing I ever sat in - in the world. It massages every single part of your body.

$5,000 tho :(

Vector Robotic Message Chair

19. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

20. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Gotta love the new year when your property tax bill comes in and it's $400 more than last year :teethsmile:

ncarrab likes this.
  21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Any of you have HOA fees? Mine are $275 per year. Not bad I guess, but I have no idea what I’m paying for.

22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

HOA fees are a dealbreaker on any house I'm looking at.

awwgereee likes this.
  23. I can't imagine you are getting much for 275 a year. HOA fees around me range from 100 to 300 a month. Not worth it at all.

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

It's mostly for maintaining a few 'common areas' we have in our neighborhood. We have two huge open field areas, one of which has a pavilion. We have a bridge for our main entrance area that requires a lot of maintenance on flowers, mulch, etc but other than that not much.

Do your fees change monthly? You say a range between 100-300. That's a wide gap. I'm guessing you guys have a community pool or something with fees that high?

25. I don't have hoa fees. I was just relaying what I've seen around where i live. It depends on how nice the neighborhood is and what they offer. New Jersey is an expensive place to buy a house.