Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The House That Jack Built - (Lars von Trier; November 29, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 14, 2018.

1. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

It’s weird, I feel like this was getting fucking savaged after it premiered but now all the notices I’ve seen are pretty surprisingly positive.

2. Kuri44

It’s crazy (stupid) that’s it’s easier for me to purchase a semi automatic in America than it is to watch/purchase a directors cut of this movie. Anyways, excited to check this out today

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

Festival reception, especially negative reception at Cannes, is always pretty whack. I get why people would write this film off, in 2018, upon initially watching it. It’s hard to really reckon with the weightier ideas of a film when you’re watching 4/5 a day. I’m glad the consensus has shifted with a wider audience.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I felt similarly.

Swae Lee likes this.
  5. Syre Dream

Regular

Should I rent this on Amazon or wait for the directors cut?

6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

From what I understand the directors cut is four minutes longer; cannot be that much different.

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah I'm curious what the extra footage is in the directors cut.

8. username

hey you lil piss baby

My understanding with the director’s cut is that there is more gore and it was cut to appease the ratings board (s).

I’m curious which version of the film I saw in October because the festival didn’t advertise it one way or another.

9. Well, I probably can't casually listen to "Fame" ever again.

riotspray likes this.
  10. dash64

This is my design

Watched this on Saturday and it was everything I wanted, and more with that ending. If they ever remake American Psycho I'd appreciate something more along the lines of this.

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This was great.

12. Kuri44

I really liked this movie, but didn't love it like I expected to.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Yeah this was very well done.

14. yung_ting Jan 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 11, 2019)
    yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I’m still wrestling with how to approach LVT and am apprehensive about praising him at this point but that being said

That was such a wild experience and that ending was so unexpected. It is a difficult watch but I think it’s unfair to call it gratuitous. It wasn’t as vile as I expected and the philosophical musings make up as much of the film as the graphic parts do. He’s obviously wrestling with his past work and in provoking the viewer I feel like he’s letting us in on the conversation. I still don’t feel like I have any answers to the ideas of decay, violence or the nature of art but I think it was bold to both implicate and invite us into the dialogue

I’ll be thinking about this for a while. If anybody has interesting articles besides the one on the first page plz link em

15. username

hey you lil piss baby

Haven't actually read these yet but they're from the two publications that I view as the most insightful wrt film writing. One is an interview with LVT and the other is an essay/review.

The House That Jack Built
    http://cinema-scope.com/cinema-scop...ca-likes-me-an-interview-with-lars-von-trier/

yung_ting likes this.
  16. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

17. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Definitely gotta read more about Dante’s Inferno

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

on hulu

Aaron Mook and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I’ve been very curious about this. I feel like I know what I’m getting with a Lars movie but the review for it really piqued my interest.

20. I'll give it a watch this weekend