The Hotelier Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Mar 6, 2016.

1. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

The Hotelier (formerly The Hotel Year) is a self-described anti-pop anarcho-punk band from Worcester, MA. They write songs. Those songs are about things.

teebs41 likes this.
  2. Nick

@fangclubb Supporter

gonna pitch my tent in here as well. i think life in drag might be my favourite hotelier song. means a bunch to me. great band.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

phil bombs not bombs Prestigious

I listened to Home when it came out and wasn't super into it but I've been giving them another chance recently bc I'll give any anarcho-punk band a good chance. Will have to go through with the lyrics. I love songs about things.

teebs41 likes this.
  4. sponsor
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i'm in

6. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

i could have a new favorite Hotelier song everyday. right now, Scope is probably my top track.

teebs41 likes this.
  7. scott

kill the switch Moderator

[​IMG]

hell yeah I am

HalfHearted and Nick like this.
  8. Snewt

Does whatever a spider can. Prestigious

Thanks for the reminder! Just picked up my ticket as well.

scott likes this.
  9. jordalsh Mar 9, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 9, 2016)
    jordalsh

jordalsh.wordpress.com Prestigious

GOODNESS

just bought Philly tickets B-)B-)B-)

10. cwhit

I have a season pass to the venue it's at so I don't have to buy tickets!!!!

11. jordalsh

they have that? hmmmmmm I looove Union Transfer

12. cwhit

wrong, I'm in Baltimore, the Ottobar does that. 110 for a full year's shows, already done Lower Dens, Dope Body, and have Chairlift, Hotelier, Citizen/Turnover, Oneohtrix Point Never, Andy Hull/Casey Cresenzo, and Minus the Bear on the menu. Missed a few other cool ones too like Titus, but this venue is walking distance from me so it makes it very easy to pick and choose depending on the night and how I feel

schlotty likes this.
  13. jordalsh

oh I got confused and thought you meant the same show as me. thought it was weird that you had a season pass for a venue two hours away haha. that's very cool though

14. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

Just bought my tix!! Seeing my favorite band at my favorite venue, so fuckin stoked, it's still 2 months away dammit

stnewton likes this.
  15. cwhit

Probably going to go to 300 bucks worth of shows by the end of the year for a third of that, so awesome

16. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

Got my tickets for the Hotelier/Told Slant show. so stoked

stnewton likes this.
  17. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is insane, especially for that price. Are there not many venues options for artists in that size bracket? I was just trying to think if this would work anywhere in Toronto or Vancouver but I can't think of much consistency with where artists play because there's got to be at least half a dozen that they could be set up at.

18. cwhit

It's interesting, since there's a weird split between DC and Baltimore. I want to make a longer post since it's a really intriguing topic that I think about it a lot, but I'm on my phone. I'll post something in an hour or so.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  19. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

how do sold out shows work? do you RSVP in advance, or are there like a set number of tickets reserved for pass holders?

regardless, that is v v cool

thinking about making a trip up to Fresno for the show at the cafe, bussing back down in time for the LA show, then going down to SD the day after. it's gonna be a fun weekend.

schlotty likes this.
  20. cwhit

so basically there's a pretty interesting split between DC and baltimore. DC usually gets all the big indie shows, mostly because we have the 9:30 club, one of the most famous venues in the country. 1200 cap, most shows there sell out, many bands play multiple nights there. the black cat is also in DC, another famous venue, that hits about 750 cap (with a back room of 200 or so). DJ shows are usually at u street music hall, and DC 9 and rock and roll hotel get a lot of the emo/punk shows and smaller indie shows in DC. echostage is the step up from the 9:30 club, at 4000 cap, gets bands like the 1975, chvrches, etc before they play ampitheater or stadium shows. big EDM and hip hop acts go there too. and the fillmore is right outside DC and gets big pop acts, hip hop, ETC at around 2000 cap. and of course little DIY spots

now compare that to baltimore. rams head is the major venue, around 1500 cap, gets all the hard rockshows and any other big indie show that doesn't decide to hit DC (which really aren't many). soundstage gets the pop punk and metalcore shows like TWY and modern baseball that are too big for ottobar (soundstage at 800, ottobar at 400). ottobar as you saw gets a cool mix of stuff, pop punk, emo, indie stuff, definitely the best venue in the city for good lineups. but DC gets most of the good big shows, especially since there have more of a variety of size venues, but a lot of scene shows that fall within the gaps get left out entirely

they allow you to email ahead of time if a show sells out, or they email you first, for the kurt vile show they hit us up (kurt vile and titus andronicus were two of the shows i missed that i could have gotten in as well). only a limited amount of passes were sold as well

21. cwhit

act fast

22. jorbjorb

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dendron is my fave

teebs41 likes this.
  23. GhostOverground

Haven't been this stoked about a band in many years.....$12 for a headlining set is awesome.

teebs41 likes this.
  24. cwhit

most shows i see are about that much or less lol
    gotta go to smaller shows if that's the issue

25. sponsor
  26. GhostOverground

Yeah, I got lazy about discovering new bands/artists.

27. cwhit

heh, i'm generally of the impression that there are always good shows around for donations/under ten bucks. well, i guess that's also partially an area thing, but small bar shows of under 15 bucks are usually the best/most common for me