Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier / Told Slant / Loone / Bellows Tour • Page 6

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by kidinthebushes, Apr 6, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

Mobo is huge with the teens

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  2. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

"the teens"

3. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

[​IMG]

MrRobot likes this.
  4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

5. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

[​IMG]

cybele likes this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This is all accurate. So many youths with terrible show etiquette. I thought The Hotelier attracted mostly the same crowd, so I was very pleasantly surprised.

7. bennjeff

Regular

Was pleasantly surprised by the lack of phone use by the crowd at the show tonight. First time at a show in awhile where there weren't phones taking photos everywhere

NationalPhenomenon and teebs41 like this.
  8. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

man, jaded old ppl going after teenagers at shows are the worst

(not talking about cwhit)

cwhit, devenstonow and teebs41 like this.
  9. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

idk man i have a hard time verbalizing this and am probably gonna fail miserably but i feel like music *usually* means a lot more to and has a greater experiential impact on younger folks than people in their twenties who have a lot more power over their own lives and (usually) have less unbridled passion for art & creation and it sucks that people under 18 (who understandably may not have years of experience going to shows) have so few spaces that they can be freely themselves in. no one gets more shit than non-male teenagers at shows, and for doing things that *usually* hurt absolutely no one.

teebs41 and Emotherapy like this.
  10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I was going to write a similar post. When I was in high school going to shows wasn't just about experiencing music, it was way more therapeutic and it probably the only thing that kept me sane ha. I definitely felt like it was almost a part of my identity or something.. It's hard to put into words. Don't get me wrong I love seeing live bands now just as much as I did 13 years ago but there was a special feeling going as a teenager..

11. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

Cwhit at shows is the worst.

St. Nate and cwhit like this.
  12. bennjeff

Regular

I've never had issues with younger kids at shows other than maybe once or twice where I noticed a couple being obnoxious for the sake of doing so, but that's what kids do sometimes when they are free to let loose. I'm sure I was the same way. More just commenting that I feel like the oldest one in the room a lot of times now which I'm fine with, just a general observation.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

My post was specifically talking about male teenagers who were not respecting the experiences of others and making the whole night about them while endangering everyone else. There were SO many young girls there that clearly did not know what to expect with pushing so they were unable to protect themselves well, and so many young boys who were trying to start pits in unsafe spaces and pushing and jumping on people who were vulnerable. I stood next to a girl who was maybe 17 or 18 who had never been to a "pop punk" show before and had never stood up front. My heart sank for her when I heard this, because I could tell the crowd was going to be just terrible for Joyce Manor. She went from jumping up and down with joy just because the guitarist from Thin Lips high-fived her to screaming in terror every time someone started to crowd surf, and came dangerously close to passing out all night. Shows like that just become a perfect storm of people who don't know what a show is like even if it is safe and has a good vibe and people who just want to seem tough and don't care who they step on for it.

Maybe their fan base has just changed in general, or maybe it was the presence of JM on the tour, but I haven't felt that uneasy at a show in years. Equal parts worried for my own safety and that everyone around me was going to get seriously injured. I've been to a lot of shows with younger kids recently and had no problems (The Front Bottoms in particular was a blast), but that one sucked big time and I was happy to not have to deal with it again for The Hotelier.

collin512 likes this.
  14. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Is Joyce Manor not still doing the strict "no crowd surfing/stage diving allowed" thing? If so that's a shame, it made me really appreciate going to their shows.

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

They are not. They did call out one guy who had already done it twice during the first two songs and was jumping RIGHT onto all the 5" nothing girls around me, but tons of people did it without any comment from the band. I was hoping for it as well. I couldn't enjoy their set much at all because of the ridiculous pushing and divers.

16. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

wouldn't be surprised if they're easing off being strict about it because of the ridiculous fucking blowback they got the last time. every so called music zine out there made a huge deal about that.
    "Patriotic Straight Edge Piece of Shit" is forever ingrained in our scene history now

17. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

I get the intent, but that phrasing tho.

18. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Ugh, that sucks. I know I wasn't alone in thinking it was a great move and wishing more bands would follow. Too bad our voices were drowned out by the losers who don't care about others' safety.

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Agreed! I also realized too late that I had not written down their number for texting in case of feeling unsafe, and I wished that I had so I could have given it to those around me. Their hearts were in the right place, but not enough was done to proactively keep things safe. I loved PWR BTTM starting their set by telling people to be aware of their surroundings, which I have also seen The Hotelier do. It does so much so quickly for changing the tone of a crowd.

collin512 and VanMastaIteHab like this.
  20. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

ok yeah this makes sense. sorry for jumping on you. it's just most times when people talk shit about teenagers at shows they're talking about teenage girls doing things like being really excited or taking pictures or w/e so i assumed that's who you were talking about. it sucks when people mosh / crowdsurf with no regard for the safety and enjoyment of others

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, thanks for that. It did bum me out to be called a jaded old person when I was talking about actual problems, but I could have been more clear as well. The combo of kids who are used to bigger shows where there is no pushing or no shows period and kids who only care for themselves is a scary one. Having to deal with a person grabbing onto my hipbone with intense force for "support" because they are scared and don't understand the flow while also getting a shoe to the back of the head? Fun to terrifying real quick. It was probably the worst choice for venue for that tour in hindsight too.

22. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

My show was yesterday. The crowd was pretty mature between performance, few young folks but it was all good. Other than that, the Hoteliers brought really good support and blew me away.

23. Supernova Jul 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 8, 2016)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Went to the Birmingham show tonight. Venue was very cool. For Hotelier's set the whole crowd sat down Indian style. It was a floor show so Christain tried to rearrange the crowd so more ppl could see and started to suggest having the first few ppl sit then he said "why not everyone sit". We all did and it was a great experience. I would estimate about 100 ppl turned out. Place was mostly full.

It was a shorter set by maybe 2-3 songs than that long one posted earlier so that kinda bums me out, but I'm glad I got to see them finally and especially in that specific venue and the uniqueness of it.

We didn't get "Mail", "Discomfort", or "Settle". :/. I'll see them again for sure though, so I'm bound to hear those.

[​IMG]

cybele and teebs41 like this.
  24. marsvoltamcr

Trusted

Yeah, I used to be one of those kids who went crazy at shows so I'd feel like a dingus complaining about them. I just try to chill in the back/bar if there is one. Let the kiddies be kiddies.

25. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

That's awesome hahaha

teebs41 likes this.