Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier Stream ‘Goodness’ • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2016.

1. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I was kinda thrown off by the use of they/themselves but after I saw it repeated I could pretty much tell what they are going for.

Album is really awesome, just as good as I would have hoped.

Personally however not a fan of this write-up/interview. I feel like in 10 years Christian will look back on themself at 24 and be like "what was all that anarchist stuff about?". I did enjoy getting more insight to the writing process of Goodness and Home. Sounds like he was surrounded by a a lot of sadness/despair for a while.

efp722 likes this.
  2. sean_rugy

select all delete Prestigious

Sun is a monumental track.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. grimis16

Regular

am I the only one that cannot stand the song Goodness pt. 2? I've tried to like it, or at least not skip it but now after 5 times I think I'm going to give up on it. Other than that song, I'm enjoying this.

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Nah I don't like it either.

5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

What don't you like about it?

6. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I, for one, don't like the drum beat. It's awkward and doesn't sit well in my ears. The song gets good when it opens up, but it's still held together by a drum beat that doesn't sit with me.

7. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I understand why people may not like it... I mean the drums are 1and2 3and4 so nothing crazy... Also everything in the beginning is syncopated so nothing falls on the down beat which is meant to make you feel uneasy and then when everything kicks in its supposed to feel like a huge release..it's funny it seems like the beginning is either too weird for people or not weird enough ha.. Anyway I personally really love it, the melody is great and I love tension and release in music

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think if the beat died down when the vocals came in and it was just Christian singing over the guitars coming in, before building back up it would be a better song. That beat just drives me crazy cause it goes so long.

9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Does anyone hear a ton of guitar effects on here?? It's pretty cut and dry, clean and distortion? Like that, I have a masters degree in classical guitar and it bothers me when records rely too much on a lot of guitar effects... Just feels really natural to me that they don't really use them that often

10. efp722

Regular

Really? That's the one track that has yet to really do much for me. At times I can hear what people are talking about but then that prechorus part comes in and then the spark is gone

11. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I think that entire intro is unsettling (on purpose I'm sure) and I'm actually annoyed more by the sound of the guitar rather than the rhythm of the drums.

12. efp722

Regular

I love the dissonance and when it all comes together in the end it's great. However, I think I only like it so much because it's such a deconstruction of Goodness Pt. 1. If I hadn't listened to that song to death i probably wouldn't love it as much as I do.

That said, I hate the random snare hits at the end of the track and at the end of End Of Reel

teebs41 likes this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

You electric players!! Haha jk.. I mean I play a Gretsch electric but I don't use a lot of effects at all... Just need distortions and clean would rather have my playing tell the story rather than some delay pedal or something, just me though. I actually like listening to cool guitar tones and effects but just not when I play, and I like that they don't use them on this record, which I meant to feel very organic... It's like an acoustic record with electric guitars if that makes any sense

ComedownMachine likes this.
  14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I think the guitar tones are one of the best things about the band.

teebs41 and St. Nate like this.
  15. Saephon

Regular

I don't mind them on "Goodness, Pt. 2" because of the cool lead into "Piano Player". I don't see its purpose at the end of the album though, other than the band possibly trying to (sort of?) bookend the record. On the note of drums though, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed in them on this album. They overall feel a bit simpler and less interesting than I'd prefer, compared to the drums on Home, which I feel were quite varied and spectacular.

teebs41 likes this.
  16. efp722

Regular

I noticed that theme across the entire album. Everything is stripped down to the bare basics and I find it very refreshing. There's definitely something to be said and the less is more approach. Did they go to far with that? For me personally, not at all.

17. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

posted more thoughts in the album thread but i think i would like goodness pt. 2 more if it was more dissonant during the first half over a tighter beat and if it kicked in at a different point (e.g. "if we stay...")

glad i missed most of this thread tbh.

Nick and teebs41 like this.
  18. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

They layered minor seconds!! What else do you need!! Hahah jk i enjoyed your write up

19. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

This isnt quite punching me in the gut the way I wanted it to, but it's fantastic....and it might reach that level with further listens.

20. jlinitz

John Linitz @jlinitz

Realizing that the bandcamp link lets you download the album early is THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TODAY

21. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Yeah there's the guts of a great song there. The beat just annoys the hell out of me. It should drop off sooner, maybe have Christians voice and the guitar come in together without the beat,.

22. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Album of the decade

teebs41 likes this.