Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier Stream ‘Goodness’ • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2016.

1. Dave Dykstra

Daveydyk

“‘Yeah, because we’re living under capitalism.’ That’s why I’m mad. That’s why I’m an anarchist!”

Album is good. this is dumbbbbbb though.

2. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Super good write up. I didn't realize there was that much conflict in the band. Excited to listen to the stream!

3. efp722

Regular

Album is really good. About half of that interview was eye roll worthy though.

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

This band clearly has interesting political views... That being this said, this record is lyrical and musical genius.. I feel like I will be talking about this record in 20 years as a turning point for me and how I listen to music

5. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I don't exactly when they started using gender neutral pronouns, but pronouns are a really tricky thing sometimes. A lot of people have a tendency to misidentifying you by male pronouns (sometime even unintentionally) by sheer force of habit or by societal factors that lead us towards gender binaries.

Also, even if you identify as a cisgender male, you can still chose to identify yourself with gender-neutral pronouns. Like I said, it's complicated, but i promise if you read up on it, it starts to make sense. I myself have to do a better job in the future of it, because I still sometimes find myself slipping accidentally even when speaking to my own friends who use "they" pronouns. It's all a learning process.

teebs41 likes this.
  6. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I just think the questions were phrased a little harshly, and the fact that it took place over Facebook message and all the answers were separated means it made it look like Christian's answers weren't fully formed. Though I suppose relating to that first point, I suppose that's sort of the point.

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

Dropped this in the thread, but no one's really talking about the write up in there right now:

I didn't really care for the write up. The author made it feel like they were really trying to sell the band as some super huge deal, which, from what I gather from Christian's blog posts, is not what their all about. It also paints Christian in a frame that makes them seem less well spoken and than they actually are.

It also leads the reader to believe that Christian may be hard to work with sometimes because of his creative streak. Whether or not that is true? I don't know.

8. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

i don't think of this as a "different" sound for them. Even on only a second listen, it's clear that it's not as, idk, dire, as NoPlace. It's a bit more pastoral (maybe a bit contrived in that respect, but still), but I do think this is a nice move towards greener pastures (forgive the pun).

9. devenstonow

Noobie

10. untilitkills83

such an amazing album! thrilled that they sent out the link for download for those that preordered it.

teebs41 likes this.
  11. Saephon

Regular

On my second listen. The melody in "Two Deliverances" is so good.

teebs41 likes this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Just the guitar bass and drums make me feel so good it's crazy.. This song is everything I love about music ha.

Saephon likes this.
  13. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

Only had time to listen to about half of it, but not making a good first impression on me :(

teebs41 likes this.
  14. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

I feel this album is one you have to listen to as a whole to get it. Halfway through I was thinking this is good but at the end I was thinking this is such an amazing work of art.

15. AgainstMe182

Lmao. That made that interview so unnecessarily complicated to read.

16. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Seriously? Christian cares about how they are identified, and want people to use the proper pronouns to refer to them, and you're actually going to complain because it made article more difficult to read?

Don't read it then. Either educate yourself on why it matters or don't listen to the band.

teebs41 likes this.
  17. AgainstMe182

No one educated uses 'they/them/their' to refer to a single person. His/her, fine, call someone whatever the want to be called, no big deal. But by calling someone using a plural pronoun, you undermine effective communication and that's just stupid.

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

It's not plural, it's gender neutral. Go learn what you're talking about.

teebs41 and Fuckkmerunning like this.
  19. AgainstMe182

teebs41 likes this.
  20. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

There's something horribly ironic about saying "call someone whatever they want to be called" and then telling someone they can't choose to not refer to themselves within the gender binary. Please educate yourself. I posted a resource in my original post that you quoted. I suggest you read it. I've given you all you need to stop being ignorant of people's desires. The rest is on you now.

Nick, teebs41 and FTank like this.
  21. Jason Tate May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 20, 2016)
    Don't you find this a little strange to have an Against Me! username and be saying things like this? Take a look at the "singular they" portion of this article on Wikipedia as a good jumping off point:

Gender-specific and gender-neutral pronouns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let's be tolerant here and walk into this looking to learn something. Trust me, you'll be happy you learned something new today and you'll have the added benefit of not calling human beings stupid.

Nick and teebs41 like this.
  22. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

I will piggyback off Jason's post to post the original resource I posted again. Gender Pronouns | LGBT Resource Center

I think it's important to remember for others that a lot of AgainstMe182's post comes from a lack of experience with anyone who identifies outside of the gender binary. The best response to this would be to point them in the direction of resources to help them gain some knowledge and experience instead of namecalling. It's still something I'm working on being better at, but I wanted to throw it or there anyway.

Nick likes this.
  23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

24. hoodrat May 20, 2016
    (Last edited: May 20, 2016)
    hoodrat

Regular

lol.

Album is great.

25. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

[​IMG]