Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier Stream ‘Goodness’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 19, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hotelier’s new album, Goodness, is streaming on Stereogum.

“I think that if people are looking for anguish, that’s fine and they don’t need to get that from this record,” Holden says. “This isn’t Home #2, this is a transition. You have to find a way out.”

“You can’t live in anguish your whole life.”

2. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Here we go!!!

3. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Yaaaas

4. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

5. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

body ready

6. disambigujason May 19, 2016
    (Last edited: May 19, 2016)
    disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Really digging this so far. I was sure the hype was overblown, and almost didn't listen, but I am glad I did. Also, the write up is a good one, worth the time to read.

7. kevincomplains

really excited to check this out. only discovered these guys a couple months ago from this site, so i feel a little bit like i've cheated compared to some of you faithfuls

8. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

finished it about 10 minutes ago. probably the best first album listen ive ever had. Not a hyperbole.

9. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

So freaking good. I had my doubts it could be as good as Home but it totally is

KennedyBN likes this.
  10. Fuckkmerunning

so amped for this! the two singles they put out were so good and so different then home.

11. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Just finished my first listen. This album is beautiful.

12. halby

Really cool write up, but I'm so confused by why Christian is always pluralized when referred to with a pronoun.

13. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I think if Brand New and Blink 182 did a co-headline show with The Hotelier as the opener, this site would break the internet. All great bands, but they seem to on a different level in regards to site popularity.

efp722 likes this.
  14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Christian uses gender-neutral pronouns (that is to say they/their). A little background info for you, though since I'm traveling I can't find the best link at the moment, but hopefully it will help.

Gender Pronouns | LGBT Resource Center

15. efp722

Regular

I'd get behind this.

Bayside 182 likes this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I did not realize "Housebroken" was about police brutality, but it makes sense. I always assumed it was about seeing a friend in an abusive relationship. Although, I suppose police brutality in America can be considered an abusive relationship.

17. Kixur413

Two Deliverances and End Of Reel are my jams! This whole thing is great, though. So much energy and care was put in to it.

18. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I can't get anything but the two songs that were already released to play. I'm so bummed.

19. TriangularDuck May 19, 2016
    (Last edited: May 19, 2016)
    TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

It wasn't working for me in Chrome on my desktop, but I've got it kicking off my phone.

edit: Coup is an awesome game, was excited to see it mentioned in the article

Turkeylegz likes this.
  20. thenewedition

Can You Stand the Rain?

You do not have to be good.
    You do not have to walk on your knees
    for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body
    love what it loves.
    Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
    Meanwhile the world goes on.
    Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
    are moving across the landscapes,
    over the prairies and the deep trees,
    the mountains and the rivers.
    Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
    are heading home again.
    Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
    the world offers itself to your imagination,
    calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -
    over and over announcing your place
    in the family of things.

Mary Oliver, "Wild Geese"

21. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning..

22. Saephon

Regular

It's good. It's great. It's melancholy and beautiful and I can't wait to have all the lyrics so I can really appreciate it, which is what I've been doing with Home for the last couple years.

23. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I wonder if people who didn't like the song will look at it differently given that info.

24. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'd be interested to see if it gets a different response too. Honestly, it's always been one of my favorites from the record and I was kind of surprised when I saw negativity towards it on here.

FTank likes this.
  25. noKings

Regular

Feel like the stream should've been up sooner, but oh well. Worth the wait. Edit... I take that back, thought it was out this week, not next.