Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier - Goodness (May 27, 2016) Album • Page 314

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 18, 2016.

1. CAC3

Dog

I’d kill to see the recording of this show. I suppose I will have to wait for the professional version to come out

2. jols

Trusted Prestigious

Beyond not feeling like he can top the album, he's indicated that he's not really creatively motivated to do it. I think what would really be "lame" is going through with it anyway and creating something with indifference because it's what you're "supposed to do"

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Not being creatively motivated or having the desire is very different and assuming you can’t do better.

5. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, if he feels like he can't top it, why should he be forced to try and write/release something? Especially something that probably is not coming from a genuine place of inspiration or having something more to say musically. As much as I would love new music some day, I want it to be something Christian/the band actually want to share, not something they feel pressured to share.

CAC3 and Elder Lightning like this.
  6. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

The way some people feel entitled to new music or question artists reasoning for not releasing new music (in cases like this) is always odd. I'd much rather they wait until they are ready.

For example, would you rather have a new Fiona Apple record every time fans want new music but the quality not be great because of outside pressure, not having something worthwhile to say at the moment etc.? Or would you rather she take all the time needed and actually release a genuinely great album? The point is that artists should release something when they feel ready to do so, not when fans expect them to. (I used this example because she's someone who takes years to release new music, does it when she feels ready, and only if she has something worthwhile to say).

7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I’m like 99% sure that .k. has me blocked but its hardly worth even giving it this much time. this is the same user who comes in the Gaslight thread every 4-6 weeks asking why the band wont just reunite.

8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Yes it's best to just ignore K haha but my comment was more generally for anyone who comes in asking

Sean Murphy likes this.
  9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

yeah i 100% agree that, for this specific example, i would gladly take 50 more hotelier albums in my lifetime but would also gladly take 0 and be happy with what i have if they just were not motivated to create more music.

10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

mea culpa

Anthony_ likes this.
  12. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

You beat Christian in poker or something?

13. Anthony_

14. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

MFA, Snoblin, aspeedomodel and 14 others like this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

16. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

I’m sure it’s gonna get a lot of likes soon so it’s staying

17. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

Goodness is the greatest album of all time so it would be almost impossible to improve on that.

18. OotyPa

fall away

I’m all for Christian trying to make a new album when the inspiration strikes. Of course we’re not owed anything, but it obviously would be amazing if things align the way they should (it’s also very reasonable to feel disappointed that the band has no plans for anything).

That said, as a fellow creative, there’s definitely a conversation to be had about whether you can persuade yourself down to feeling like you can’t make anything up to peoples’ (or your own) expectations. Writers block sometimes lasts only as long as the writer doesn’t feel like writing, or feels intimidated to create something timeless. I’m not going to jump to any conclusions that they haven’t tried to write anything, but maybe he’s putting an expectation on himself. It would be cool to even get some loosies or jams. It doesn’t need to be this big grandiose statement/project for me as I’d be happy to see them making music just for the fun of creating art, not necessarily to outdo themselves.

.K. and CAC3 like this.
  19. Anthony_

I get his feeling like he can’t top Goodness but if every artist stopped making music after their masterpieces then we’d have missed out on a lot of great records throughout history. It sucks he feels that way. Hopefully he doesn’t feel that way forever. If he does though, hey, at least we got three great records from him.

And yeah, we aren’t owed anything.

SteveLikesMusic and OotyPa like this.
  20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Not being inspired and motivated to do something is is tough but it happens.

Saying you did something amazing so there’s no point in trying anymore seems disappointing. I don’t know if those were his words or not. He/they have a talent. It’d be cool for them to continue to explore when the time feels right. Maybe nothing comes of it. We don’t have to know and just see where it goes. We were already given a great cool music. No pressure.

21. abear182

Regular

From Boston a few weeks back! Their is apparently a Pro Shot coming for this with sound from the board.

But they haven't missed a beat by the looks of it.

Anthony Brooks, morken, LWS and 5 others like this.
  22. bradpetrik

Trusted Prestigious

I vastly underestimated how much I miss seeing this band live. I still remember the last time I saw them come through Chicago and listen to their songs almost daily. I really hope this is them getting back into it.

23. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

:eyes:

24. jols

Trusted Prestigious

Said he’s trying to use an SM7B so prob podcastin

25. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I record vocals through an SM7B. Depending on your interface you may need a cloud filter. Thing needs a lot of gain.

seimagery likes this.