Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier - Goodness (May 27, 2016) Album • Page 309

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

Piano Player
    End of Reel
    Goodness Pt. 2

Two Deliverances, Soft Animal, and Settle the Scar could all probably take that third spot, but I’ve got a real soft spot for that guitar solo and this line:

Little bird on the side of the sidewalk
    Sings me hymnals of comfort and pain
    Says give me you all disarmed and uncertain
    In the promise that I’ll do the same
    And it sounded like something you’d say

Also gotta give some love to You In This Light and Fear of Good.

2. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

Sun and Goodness Pt 2 just hit different

However Settle the Scar isn't as good as the original version and I will die on this hill

3. It'saDoneDeal

Vibing

I get what they were attempting with Goodness Pt. 2, but that song could've been so much better than the final product. The rest of the track isn't interesting enough for me to wait for the payoff of the "Little bird" section, which is glorious.

4. this is wild to me, the opening with just drums, Christian coming in hot on top of that, and then the first dissonant chord strums, until the tension finally releases when the other guitar comes in? it's perfect

5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Make new music bro

Thrillcollinz likes this.
  6. congruence

Got a light?

Listened to some of my favs of the last two albums last night after an edible and uhhh this band is really really good

7. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

I think about this album at least once a week. The GOAT for me.

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

People who obsess over new songs played live, and then say the recorded version is not as good. Smh Settle The Scar is amazing, and I will not hear some other version played live is better.

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

it wasnt played live--it was on a four way split back in 2013

Rowan5215 and genericities like this.
  10. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Yeah, I’m partial to that older version too.

11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think the newer version is better and it's one of the many highlights on the album.

12. congruence

Got a light?

Grew to accept the new version but the nostalgia of the original had me partial to it for a long time, overall prefer the original lyrics but I think the song overall improved sonically so eventually I accepted it and stopped listening to the old version

13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Old version is superior but I like both probably only superior since I was used to it which always happens

14. .K. Oct 3, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 3, 2021)
    .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yep. Had to put this record on today.

15. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I had heard the original Settle the Scar before hearing the Goodness version, a few times actually, but it never made a big enough impression for me to prefer it to the album version. both are good, I kinda prefer the experimental things they did with the production on the Goodness cut

SpyKi likes this.
  16. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

It's really just a perfect album and every song is my favorite.

Turkeylegz and MexicanGuitars like this.
  17. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

this is basically how I feel about HLNPIT

oncenowagain likes this.
  18. Nap

Hey Mr. Holden, it's obvious the world needs another Hotelier album

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  19. spookymulder

iambirthdaydad.bandcamp.com

I remember when Goodness came out and it was the only sound I wanted to hear. All other sounds pissed me off because they weren’t Goodness.

20. Iago

forbidden chalice.

goodness was the first album i ever walked to, with like, the explicit intent to go outside just to listen to an album

21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Why didn't goodness pt. 1 make the album

SteveLikesMusic and Friendjamin like this.
  22. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

It’s always been “part of the album” in my mind. Even though it’s not on the track list it was the clear prelude to the era. I never play the album in full without listening to that first.

Elder Lightning and Friendjamin like this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Tbh I had no idea they released it as a single on streaming services until rn. Very excited haha

.K., coleslawed and Justin Roux like this.
  24. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I listened to a few tracks from Home today — Christian’s vocal range is INSANE

Leftandleaving likes this.
  25. Friendjamin

Regular Supporter

I do the opposite. I always listen to it after the album as a meditative coda to wind down from the intensity of End of Reel

Justin Roux likes this.