Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier - Goodness (May 27, 2016) Album • Page 306

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 18, 2016.

1. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I was definitely one of the "the poem and snare hits take away from the album" people back then. What a weird hill to die on.

2. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

Sun is just a fucking amazing song

3. Noradrenaline

Regular

I really like Goodness but I don't think anything can top Home for me. It reminds me of such good times and people, especially one specific person, that I love so much. Every time I hear that first accordion chord I want to travel back to the winter of 14/15, when I discovered that record. It makes me sad, or at least very sentimental, every time I hear it but I still want to listen to it over and over again. It's one of my favourite records ever and after having spent six years with it, it feels like it's going to be that forever.

4. MFA

See you in hell, or see you when I see you. Prestigious

There's moments in my life that Home were the soundtrack to that were so important to me that it'll never be topped, but Goodness is an incredibly worthy follow-up. If the only thing that separates two albums in quality is nostalgia then you know you've got a damn fine band on your hands

Iago, sawhney[rusted]2 and OhTheWater like this.
  5. spookymulder

iambirthdaydad.bandcamp.com

Goodness is like otherworldly. There was a while where it was the only sound I wanted to hear.

6. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Listened to this in the car today and my girlfriend bopped the steering wheel a bit.

Elder Lightning and OhTheWater like this.
  7. God bless starting this thread back up. This album made my night. I love how well they made it fit the 2x LP format they pressed it in

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Maybe the only pure thread on the site

9. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

oh shit okay let's do this it's been awhile

waking season likes this.
  10. Jim

Trusted Supporter

This thread made me listen to this hiking through the woods and it was perfect

11. danielalee12

Regular

Listening rn and the feels and nostalgia is unmatched

waking season likes this.
  12. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

I don’t think the interludes on this record get enough praise. The two coordinate ones are so beautiful and really set the tone, and Fear Of Good is such a special moment.

A message to my brother sky
    I long to hold your hand tonight
    But when up against this summit's height
    I'm tense, I'm small, I'm speechless
    And I'm freezing
    So freezing

13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I literally meditate to the I see the moon interludes

Iago and Justin Roux like this.
  14. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I bought a bundle of every variant they were releasing for this album because I was so ecstatic about it. I miss feeling like that. I also wish I didn’t make that decision because now I’m sitting on extra copies of it lol. But regardless, I miss feeling excited to that extreme.

15. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

The closer is just so good. It’s really one of the only songs on Goodness’s that slips into a similar vein/tone as Home.

16. Ellite25

Regular

Goodness might be my favorite album ever. It’s perfect.

Iago and BigMouth like this.
  17. Buscemi knows best

You owe me a Sausage McMuffin

I wanted this record to hit me like it has for some of you. But it didn't. And I gave it way more listens than most albums, through different systems, speakers etc. It just didn't hit me. And I was let down, because Home is the perfect record for me.

18. Genuinely sorry for you. This is an all-timer for me, whereas Home is crazy good but ultimately feels more "of its time."

19. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Yeah I mean I think my love of home is well documented and, while I think this is only a notch below in terms of quality and in terms of my connection to it (and honestly probably a notch above lyrically), I think that album does a much better job of creating a world or a feeling and embodying that musically and lyrically

Iago likes this.
  20. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Goodness knocked me off my feet when I first heard it, especially coming at a time in my life when things were moving from darkness to light. Like many of you have said already, it all broke into something transcendent and encompassing (from the songs themselves, to the poetry of the lyrics, to the use of field recordings and interludes, to the rawer production). Home is also incredible, but doesn’t quite reach that threshold.

21. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I hold both Home and Goodness about 20 notches above other emo albums. Always will.

22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Remember when someone tried to say the guitar solo in "Goodness pt. 2" wasn't earned?

[​IMG]

Cameron and dwpaulin like this.
  23. Dog Fish

Mutt

What does that even mean?

24. Iago

forbidden chalice.

And it sounded like something [they] would say

Elder Lightning likes this.
  25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Christian will be live tomorrow playing poker with a bunch of other music folks