Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier - Goodness (May 27, 2016) Album • Page 305

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 18, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Holy shit they do so many classics in this set!!
    plus the "I'm With You" cover!

Leftandleaving and waking season like this.
  2. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

“You said you see life in exploding color
    Like the flash of stars
    Or New England autumn
    I should've asked if you could stay
    I should've found a way around it
    Because now all I see is grey
    All trapped in memories that surround it”

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's wild that people write off INGO. Christian's song writing is in full force on a lot of songs on there. To skip the album would be to miss essential Hotelier songs.

4. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I stumbled across this one snowy morning almost three years ago, so good

OhTheWater likes this.
  5. LessThanTrevor

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve been going back to INGO a lot recently. Something about it screams the end of summer to me. Plus “Weathered” may be my favorite song by them, which I’ve stated before I believe.

OhTheWater and waking season like this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

waking season likes this.
  7. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Just record more music

8. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Never heard this lol, this is wild

9. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I need to revisit, this was a fun read!

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This might be my favorite verse in any Hotelier song. It’s at least up there with any verse in End of Reel

sonder, Justin Roux, jordalsh and 2 others like this.
  11. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Oh wow I cannot imagine this without the poem. Definitely would find somewhere for Goodness Pt 1 but i need that poem.

12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

"Two Deliverances" absolutely should've been an at least modest radio hit, that thing slaps.

Leftandleaving likes this.
  13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

This band should be bigger than they are. It's a shame they aren't because everything they have put out has been great.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  14. cherrywaves

Trusted

OhTheWater likes this.
  15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I like Goodness, don’t adore it like some of you guys

but the run from Soft Animal to the end is their best work hands down

can’t put my finger on what it is, but the first half of this record doesn’t hit nearly as hard

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I will say I enjoy this whole record but I do think it takes a few tracks to really step up for me. Goodness pt I not beng on the record is criminal, too.

Haven't listened to this in maybe a year or so. Gonna spin it tomorrow I think.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  17. it's wild to me that anyone could discount "Piano Player," which some days is my favorite on the album

18. Iago

forbidden chalice.

I love this record so much and wouldn't change a thing about it. The headspace it puts me in is otherworldly. Definitely an album I think about a lot even if I go long spans of time without touching it

19. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I don’t love the pacing of Goodness

20. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

Thanks for reminding me

sawhney[rusted]2 and OhTheWater like this.
  21. Iago

forbidden chalice.

Pressing play on this again and god, I forgot how much I love the intro poem.

22. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Playing this ((((very loud)))) with my windows open right now.

Iago likes this.
  23. Iago

forbidden chalice.

man that juxtaposition between new hope ("a kid half my age") / old memories ("88 remembered loves") in Piano Player absolutely wrecks me

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

@OhTheWater you talking about your relationship with this album has been so great to read, love seeing all the love for this album.

I lost both my grandpas and my aunt in 2016, it was the year I graduated, and at the end of the year my girlfriend of four years split up with me, and honestly I couldn’t believe how much this album related to all that. Piano Player dropped I think the week one of my grandpas died, Soft Animal dropped the day I left for my aunts wedding, and the morning I woke up and found out my other grandpa died Piano Player was the first song that came in shuffle when I got in the car that day. This was the year I also leaned away from Christianity and realized I was agnostic, and this album really helped me look at spirituality in a whole different way. The relationship element of the album definitely helped me with my breakup (realizing the beauty in losing someone/seeing them in a different light, etc etc), but nothing in music has hit me in the way the themes of death and acceptance have on this record. In 2017 my friends and I floated a lot and I saw a blue heron every single time, and I always took that as my own Soft Animal moment.

anyways, it’s a perfect record. I’ll never not get the biggest smile on my face when the vocals or the guitar solo come in on Goodness Pt. 2. I’ll never not feel so content when Piano Player comes on. I’ll never not scream along to Soft Animal. I really can’t get over how much this record means to me.

25. Justin Roux

Trusted Supporter

I’ll also never forget listening to that shitty “leak” the night after my aunts funeral. I clicked through End of Reel soooo many times lmao seriously can’t believe my first listen of this record was literally clicking through chunks

MFA likes this.