Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier – “Soft Animal” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

GAAAAAAAAAH THIS BAND IS THE BEST

LWS and fenway89 like this.
  2. don't fret

I feel like this what the Wonder Years have been working towards from a sound perspective, but this is much better.

3. noKings

Regular

Mmm yesssssssss

4. shea Apr 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2016)
    shea

RIP Supporter

Still not wild about the last track they released but I love this immediately.

edit: listening to the clips now. I feel pretty dumb for thinking I wouldn't like this after not digging Piano Player. As I should, haha.

5. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Very interesting take on the sound, and I get that. It makes sense. I just think a natural sound vs not-polished sound is pretty much the same thing. I'm liking most everything. I like the more natural sound. I especially like the idea of "what becomes focal is never constant." But I wish that damn snare wasn't so focal.

I don't think it's a "bad mix" because it sounds very intentional. I just don't quite agree with some of the choices.

Now, all of that being said, those guitar tones are amazing.

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

This is the best song

fenway89 and teebs41 like this.
  7. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I gave HLNIT a few listens when it came out and just couldn't get into it. This sounds incredible though. I'm going to have to give that record another try before this one comes out.

8. bristphili

i couldn't not listen to the album clips. 'End of Reel' sounds like it could be my favourite song by them.

9. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I guess I'm not hearing what everyone else is here. Lyrics are interesting, definitely, but for me that's not enough to save a song when I don't find it musically compelling. Song just seems dull to me... it stays at basically one dynamic level the whole time and I really can't find anything in the melody to latch onto.

From what I've heard of this record, I'm not sure it'll be for me. I'm glad others are enjoying the new stuff, but so far I'm thinking the direction they went in for this one just doesn't jive well with me.

10. I know it was what they were going for, but man I would kill for the band to go all out on one time through the "make me feel alive" section. Could not be more excited for this to drop next month!

11. dustyfloors

Baskiceball Champion

Love it. It does sound a little grainy to me though.

12. joshuaharris

I agree with the comments about the mixing, but this sound really is beautiful.

13. kiguel182

Regular

The more I listen to it the more I like it. Fantastic song.

The mixing in this songs is weird but it's clearly on purpose and after a couple of listens you get used to it. Gives the songs a kinda surreal feeling.

14. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

That chorus. Superb. Perfect. I want this album.

15. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

I'll wait for the entire album before I comment too much on the mixing, just to see how it all works in context.

16. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

i'm in

17. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

I'm right there with you. But did you listen to Piano Player? I think that song is more at the one dynamic level you're talking about. 5.5 minute song where the drums do the same thing all the way through. Same with Goodness Pt 2. Yes, I clicked through the samples of songs but I've listened to it all multiple times to find things I like enough to pre-order. In the end I really like a few songs but I don't agree at all that it's so amazing and mind blowing and surpassing Home. That album is more interesting, more passionate, more melodic, more... everything. *All under the massive umbrella of "IMO."

18. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep, while I'll have to spend more time with this album, I mostly agree with you as of now.

19. SayHello

Regular

To listen now, or to wait...

20. shea

RIP Supporter

This is NYP on Bandcamp right now in case no one mentioned that already.

21. princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

I saw them two hours ago in Turin (Italy). Good concert. Soft animal
    was the best song!!! Ps opening act Rozwell Kid did an amazing set!!!

22. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I wish I could engage in a thoughtful and engaging conversation with you all, but the only thing going through my mind is

fuckyeahfuckyeahfuckyeahgivememore

teebs41 likes this.
  23. SayHello

Regular

This song is so, so weird, and so, so good.

teebs41 likes this.
  24. mybreakingpoint

The Greatest Escapegoat

What a chorus. I wasn't totally feeling it until that came in. I'm back on board for this album after being completely underwhelmed by the last song.

teebs41 likes this.
  25. thenewedition

Can You Stand the Rain?

You do not have to be good.
    You do not have to walk on your knees
    for a hundred miles through the desert repenting.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body
    love what it loves.
    Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
    Meanwhile the world goes on.
    Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
    are moving across the landscapes,
    over the prairies and the deep trees,
    the mountains and the rivers.
    Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
    are heading home again.
    Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
    the world offers itself to your imagination,
    calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -
    over and over announcing your place
    in the family of things.