Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hotelier – “Soft Animal”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hotelier’s new song “Soft Animal” can be streamed below (the artwork is shown in the player and NSFW). The new album, Goodness, will be released on May 27th via Tiny Engines. If you’re the kind of person that likes song clips from albums — you can also find those on JunoDownload.

2. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Nothing has really grabbed me from this album yet. But i can see this song growing on me.

3. One of my favorite songs of the year so far, probably my favorite (or close to) on the album. Fantastic chorus, great ending, really interesting lyrics, and just an overall step up in the band's already stellar songwriting career.

4. I'm still trying to get sold on some of the weird mixing choices on "Piano Player" (that first verse never sits right with me) and the vocals are still a little too buried here, but this song.... this song is killer.

teebs41 likes this.
  5. CMilliken

Trusted

Gonna try really hard not to listen to this until I can listen to the full album.

teebs41 likes this.
  6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Still want the vocals higher but, beautiful song.

7. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

those album clips are juicy.

8. TheoW593 Apr 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2016)
    TheoW593

Regular

Guys. What the hell is up with this mix? It sounds absolutely terrible. Is it just SoundCloud compression? Loudest drums with the quietest vox and the song is so vocally driven that it sounds odd! Love the song and maybe if it IS a creative choice I'll learn to love it

edit: on speakers it sounds great. Maybe i have shitty headphones

9. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I only listened once, and it's the first song I've heard since Tuesday, but I can't agree with that last sentiment more. I have a feeling this album is going to be something very special for me.

10. It's definitely on purpose.

11. This is fantastic.

12. princexero

Let's Lead, Not Follow

Amazing song! I'm going to see them tomorrow with rozwell kid as opening act in Turin (Italy). Can't wait! :)

13. JJ Pagan

Trying Hard Not To Look Like I'm Trying That Hard

Wow. It's not often that a song hits me on an emotional level on the first listen. Couldn't more excited for this album.

14. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

P E R F E C T I O N

15. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

Yeah the vocals are a little quieter and the drums are louder, particularly the snare, purposely... for whatever reason. Doesn't sound terrible but kinda bugs me. There are other ways to make it sound not polished.

16. what

Regular

Flawless

17. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Wow. Just, wow.

18. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I wanted the vocals higher.

Song is really really good. Really enjoy it but neither song compares to the best stuff from 'Home'.

19. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

Listened only once to the album clips. I just can't wait.

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

There are going to be fans that loved home that don't like this record and there are going to be fans who love this record who didn't love home... Pretty sure it's a very different sound and that's okay with me

21. I don't think they're doing it to make it "sound not polished." I think they're doing to because it's the exact sound and feeling they want the music to evoke. Dirtying up a song because you are going for a certain aesthetic is one thing, and it works for some artists and not for others, but I don't think that's what the band did here. I think the entire theme of the album, from the artwork to the lyrics, to the music, to the sequencing, to the way it sounds is all part of a whole. If you walk through forest at night, and you hear a discussion off in a campfire in the distance, and it mixes with the sound of the creek just around the bend — you don't get both sounds crystal clear in your head. They aren't mixed at the perfect balance so that they drift in and out and you hear them "correctly." I truly think this natural sound is meant to evoke a similar feeling from the listener - what the ear grasps onto changes with each listen - what becomes focal is never constant. Not to avoid a feeling of "polished" but because it's in service to the entire essence of the songs; all of it is a reflection of the songs.

MFA, GetUpAndrew, patrfinley and 6 others like this.
  22. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This was unbelievable, even by their standards. Genuinely almost moved to tears by that first listen. This record is going to be something truly special.

fenway89 likes this.
  23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Suuuper cool take on the album.

teebs41 and fenway89 like this.
  24. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Talk about the perfect fucking way to build to an ending.

25. Morkypep

That's pretty cool and all. The snare is too loud though and the vocals are slightly too low. No amount of "rationalization" takes these issues away. I can see your idea coming to fruition in that first verse of the previously released song and that is cool, but the rest is just pure bad mixing imo. If your going for a lo-fi production you do it at the recording stage. You still mix your song accordingly and get the levels right. Bad mix.

That being said, the song is still awesome and I know I will enjoy this record.

joshuaharris likes this.