Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hot Sauce Thread • Page 52

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Anthony_, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

y u m

riotspray and estebanwaseaten like this.
  2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

That's awesome! Haven't had their Buffalo yet but have 4 bottles of their stuff in my fridge. Love the Garlic Reaper (although I can only eat it in small doses lol).

3. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

They have been so consistent for me. At this point I would even branch out and try their BBQ line.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

They're phenomenal. They had a tent up at the Christmas Village in Philly last year and I was able to try a bunch of stuff. I didn't realize they had stuff like mustard, horseradish sauces and bbq but it was all pretty great.

5. OotyPa

fall away

dang i really want an air fryer so badly.

riotspray and pauljgreco like this.
  6. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

That's so cool! I've had all of their garlic sauces, their Psycho Curry, and their Spicy Horseradish Mustard in addition to actual hot sauces. Really really wanna get my hands on the Headless Horseradish and their superhots.

It's a gamechanger. It was a gift from either my mom or my girlfriend's mom (I can't remember now) and we buy a 20lb bag of frozen naked wings at Sam's and then do around 20 wings every sunday. 12 minutes, flip, 12 minutes and their crispy and damn near perfect.

riotspray, SEANoftheDEAD and OotyPa like this.
  7. karcrashianpanache

hysterical and useless

I didn't know Chorus had a hot sauce thread!! currently fermenting peppers for my first go at hot sauce making. It won't be particularly hot, but I just wanted to see how the flavor compares to fresh

upload_2020-4-14_11-16-19.png

8. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I got fermenting lids for christmas but still havent used them

9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

let us know how it turns out!

10. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I’ve never made my own sauce before. Any good resources or recipes for making a first batch?

11. I made hot sauce for the first time on Sunday. I'd wanted to for a while and always knew what ingredients I wanted but didn't know the process or how much of each to put in so I watched a few youtube videos of people making them all different ways and took a little bit from each one based on what cooking equipment I actually had and just had a go with no expectations.

Very happy to say I somehow nailed it and it tastes amazing and is my perfect spice level, I'd probably just add a tiny bit more fruit next time. I'd call this a pine-mango garlic habanero sauce.

IMG_4144.JPG

12. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Sounds/looks great! Care to share your process? Looks like several people are getting their feet wet with making sauces and could use the advice. Unless its a secret of course haha.

13. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

This looks delicious. My one attempt at a sauce ended very badly and it looked like loose, thin, green salsa that had been sitting out at a taco bar for months. It tasted ok but I ended up diving into pickling instead of trying to keep at sauces. This is inspiring tho.

14. Fried the habaneros, onion and garlic in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. Put them in a food processor with vinegar, mango, pineapple and some spices and that was it. It was a lot easier than I had been expecting to be honest haha.

15. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Nice! I've never tried using fruit in any of mine but want to experiment some. I use the same method you do, except I toss some carrots in there too. Last time I roasted the garlic in the oven and that gave off a great flavor.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  16. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Sounds much easier than i expected. I’ll try to do something for sure. Thanks!

SEANoftheDEAD and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  17. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

So weird I was just looking at making fermented hot sauce yesterday and was coming in here to see if anybody has done it and it's currently the topic being discussed. Weird. Trying to formulate some recipe ideas.

18. karcrashianpanache

hysterical and useless

Did you leave in the seeds or end up straining it? Looks great!

19. I love thick sauces so I was super conscious of not accidentally making it too thin so used way less vinegar/liquid than all the other recipes I'd seen knowing I could add more at any point if it was too thick.

I was originally planning to do it all in the oven but thought this would be quicker and easier haha but now it's not so daunting I think I'll use the oven next time.
    One of my favourite sauces ever is a 'Habanero Carrot Curry sauce' by Marshalls Haute sauce so I definitely want to have a crack at that one at some point there's just a part of my brain that struggles with the idea of carrots being in hot sauce.

Thanks! left the seeds in. I only used 3 habaneros and 2 jalapenos so figured it wouldn't be too spicy anyway. I got just over 3 of those bottles filled, so around 500 mls probably.
    After sitting with this one I think I'll add another of each chilli next time too.

20. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

@The Comfort nice, that sounds great. Carrots in hot sauce sounds crazy but they're actually in a bunch of different sauces, including one of all of our faves - Secret Aardvark!

21. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

Might have to give making my own a crack this weekend. Almost through the torchbearer garlic reaper sauce

22. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the heatonist sauce with an ingredient never before used in hot sauce is SEAWEED!!!!!!

it's labeled as a seafood marinade so i'm expecting fairly mild stuff

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

estebanwaseaten likes this.
  24. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

coleslawed and phaynes12 like this.
  25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Surly has had these sauces in their taproom since they started serving food, now it’s finally available to buy :tongue:

F4B881B7-3328-4E92-A42D-38AB3110F8CC.jpeg

chewbacca110 likes this.