Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 646

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

What reviews have you seen that make it mixed and not universally panned??

2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Why would they remake The Thing again? The carpenter version exissssttttsss

3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I believe I saw John Squires speaking favorably about everything except the ending. Or maybe I misread some tweets along the way, but I thought some said it was fine while other critics were pushing the whole “no good horror movies come out in January” thing.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  4. I want to believe a Thing remake can be fun, especially with the right people. I don't even hate the 2011 version. But I don't know why it's necessary when it will never, in a million years, touch the original.

jkauf likes this.
  5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Because remakes make more money

BirdPerson likes this.
  6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Jason Blum be like...

[​IMG]

BirdPerson, Cameron, Cory and 2 others like this.
  7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

The main problem with The Turning is the ending. Otherwise I loved the haunted house feel and the cast was good. Endings are crucial though so it fell right down the middle for me. Gave it a 2.5/5 on Letterboxd (which might be a little generous). But it was good until like the last 15-20 mins for me.

8. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Rewatching the Haunting for the first time in forever. This movie scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. Still partial to it. Solid cast, too.

the first time I saw Lili Taylor was going to be in the Conjuring, you knew the casting director - or whoever was responsible for her acquiring the role got it right.

BirdPerson likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The quick cut to the hanging woman in The Haunting got me good as a kid. Also the lady who gets her fingers hurt while playing piano or a violin? Super unnerving

airik625 likes this.
  10. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Horror/genre in the past week for me was Malevolent, The Prodigy, Velocipastor, Tammy and the T-Rex (gore cut on shudder). It's been a ride haha.

11. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

The original from 1963 is far better.

12. Bug was a wild one. Not perfect, but for a dialogue-heavy tragedy, play adaptation, and realistic horror film, it gets close. Exceptional performances from Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon. There's some really interesting visual stuff going on, too. Feels a bit ahead of its time, like the A24 crowd would love it.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m forever disappointed that I didn’t see the play.

14. BackyardHero11

Trusted

I might go see Color Out of Space tomorrow. originally was going to see Parasite, but I had a meeting pushed back and won't make the showing. and I suppose as much as I'd like to see that in theatres, I could rent it.

15. BackyardHero11

Trusted

16. bradsonemanband Jan 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2020)
    I saw Relic lastnight up at the Sundance Film Festival. I was unnerved and would get waves of goosebumps over my whole body throughout the entire movie. It was pretty fantastic.

Basically it's a suspense horror with an underlying theme of what it's like to watch someone you love suffer through dementia.

The director was there and did a Q&A afterwards. She's a young filmmaker and this was her first feature length movie, and she nailed it in every way.

I hope it gets picked up so you can all check it out!

Also got a free Relic/Sundance button for going to the movie, but it's kinda spoilery so I won't post a pic of it. :-)

17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Deborah Logan vibes?

18. A bit, yeah. But without the found footage ness.

OotyPa and jkauf like this.
  19. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Thought Brad was talking about the 90s movie The Relic. That shit freaked my adolescent bean in theaters.

20. drewinseries

Drew

Started The Wailing last night, going to finish it tonight. Some of the imagery is incredibly well shot and moving. Though I find some of the aspects of the film campy, I wonder if that is more of a cultural shift, or the movie aims for tones like that.

The lead actor plays perfectly into his confusion on WTF is going on.

21. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Somehow, Tammy and the T-Rex is more bonkers than I expected.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  22. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

anyone seen gretal and hansel yet?

23. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

the reviews I've seen aren't great, which is a bummer

SlappinCups likes this.
  24. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

yeah, I say skip it.

for 87 min, it’s so fucking boring.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.