Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 629

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. I was at Target and saw they're having a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale on DVDs (among other things). Was gonna get Good Omens, Alita: Battle Angel, and The Steven Universe Movie, but apparently for the latter Warner Bros. was like, "nah, let's move the release date to 11/12 instead, even though it's already on the shelves, because fuck you, that's why," so I went back to look for another third thing and

tl;dr I got The Haunting of Hill House Extended Director's Cut on DVD

(tagging @mad b/c you rec'd)

bradsonemanband and mad like this.
  2. Just remembered I also saw Child's Play. I'd put it somewhere between Middle and Bottom? Might have to reconsider how I've ranked these--after I watch The Nightingale.

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

So far I’m liking Castle Rock season two more than one. I’m super biased to a ton of the cast so that may have something to do with it, but it hasn’t gone off the rails like one did after the first few. Not a fan of the half binge/half weekly release schedule at all though.

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Loved Climax. Agree that it’s a tough watch, but really incredible horror film. Probably Gaspar Noe’s most accessible (if Enter the Void isnt your thing).

5. 333 GANG

ACAB

I would suggest downloading the Letterboxd app (it’s wonderful if you’re a film fan) and sorting my genre/year.

6. Nice choice!

7. xkaylinh Nov 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 10, 2019)
    Watched The Nightingale, finally, and also remembered a couple others I've seen from this year.

Updated list:

Midsommar, The Nightingale
    Doctor Sleep, The Lighthouse, Us
    Happy Death Day 2U, Little Monsters, Ready or Not, Zombieland 2
    Child's Play, The Dead Don't Die, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
    Brightburn, It Chapter Two, The Perfection, Velvet Buzzsaw

edit: idk why I spend so much time in here haha. I love the recs I get, but Doctor Sleep and Us are the only straight up horror movies I've liked. I still don't consider myself a fan of the horror genre. A lot of good movies recently just happen to have horror elements.

edit2: genres are dumb. I like what I like.

mad likes this.
  8. zachmacD

Trusted

I loved Dr. Sleep, Pet Sematary, Haunt, Lighthouse, and It chapter 2

Happy Death Day, Crawl, Brightburn, Ready or Not, and Scary stories were good but I wouldn’t watch them again at least anytime soon. HDD2U was my favorite of the bunch and I’d love to see that actress in other things

I hated US and Annabelle Comes Home. Annabelle ,IMO, was just horrible and US fell apart at the end with that twist ending.

angrycandy likes this.
  9. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Jordan Peele's movies hold absolutely no interest for me, especially Us. just seems kinda dumb

yung_ting and zachmacD like this.
  10. zachmacD

Trusted

The cinematography is wonderful and they are definitely suspenseful. I personally just didnt really enjoy either story from Get Out or Us

angrycandy likes this.
  11. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

that's where I'm at. neither seem to have much to engage me personally

12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Get Out is an all timer for me

13. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Get Out is fantastic. Us tries to bite off more than it can chew, but the technical aspects of it are really great. I also love Peele’s ability to tonally walk the line between comedy and horror.

chewbacca110, Cameron and Aaron Mook like this.
  14. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Get Out is one of my favourites of the decade. Us is great too although it's definitely more flawed.

Midsommar easily my fav horror of the year. I thought Climax was a 2018 film, if not that's up there too.

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I’m about 10 minutes into Wounds and so far it’s unintentionally hilarious

jkauf likes this.
  16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

So bad.

17. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Got round to watching the first season of Twin Peaks over the last week and it was really good though it'll probably be a while until I get the second season watched considering it has nearly three times as many episodes.

18. mad

I was right. Prestigious

jkauf likes this.
  19. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

The Lighthouse
    Midsommar
    Climax
    The Nightingale
    Luz
    Haunt
    In Fabric
    Knife + Heart
    Ready or Not
    Child’s Play

20. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Good bad or bad bad?

21. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I try not to say this to avoid seeming contrarian but Get Out is just pretty good and Us is maybe the most overrated movie in recent memory

22. mad

I was right. Prestigious

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Under the Shadow was so good that I need to watch Wounds just to understand what went so wrong

24. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

As much as I don’t want to, I agree with this. I’m obviously glad they exist though - undeniably important movies whose success should give hope

yung_ting likes this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Episodes 1-9 of season 2 are impeccable. It falls off afterward since Lynch left the show until the last two episodes of the season. Season 3 is among the best film/television I’ve ever witnessed- no exaggeration.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.