Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 571

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

probably going to watch It tonight. can’t wait for Its tomorrow

so ready for Bill

333 GANG likes this.
  2. IT 2

Pretty satisfied, but not without some qualms. As with the first movie, the comedic relief was hit or miss for me. Also, I had a problem with showing the suicide, killing the gays and using an Asian restaurant as a backdrop when there aren't any Asian characters. The first two I'm assuming are outdated story elements carried over from the book. The latter isn't thaaat big of a deal, I mean, Black Panther had kind of the same problem.

Hader gave the best performance, yes, but it's unfair to say that he stole the show; McAvoy and Chastain were also great, as was Skarsgard, whose line delivery consistently sends shivers down my spine. And it was nice to see the kids from the first movie again.

Loved the monster and set designs, and it was just the right amount of scary for me (not too many jump scares this time around!) but I think the strongest moments, in both films, are when the Losers are just hanging out and being themselves. I can't remember where, but I think it was @EASheartsVinyl said that's where King's strengths lie, capturing the beauty of the mundane. I think these films were faithful to that.

(This was definitely too long. I went to the restroom during Ben's flashback scene. What did I miss?)

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. 333 GANG

ACAB

The Chinese restaurant scene is in the original film and the book.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  4. Ughhh, it's a good scene, but like, did it have to be fortune cookies? I'm probably gonna think about it the next time I'm at a Chinese restaurant.

currytheword likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep, in the book the explanation for choosing that restaurant is that it’s on “neutral ground” and had no connection to their past whatsoever, so it was a good place to ease back into everything. The fact that It still gets to them there kind of breaks them of the idea that anywhere is safe or that they have much time to rest.

6. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

he'll yes @ Possession. classic

SpyKi likes this.
  7. 333 GANG

ACAB

Eden Lake is another one that would be in the running for my list. That one really stuck with me for a while. If anyone hasn’t seen it, I highly recommend giving it a watch.

8. Oh hey, someone had The Neon Demon on their list, right? What do y'all think about Refn, Aronofsky, and von Trier--horror or no? I liked a few of their films here and there, but idk

Rowan5215 likes this.
  9. Rowan5215

Aronofsky and von Trier have absolutely done horror (whether it was good or not is another debate but yeah). Refn I never considered to be in that ballpark, but I haven't seen The Neon Demon

10. Neon Demon was cool and pretty horror-y, but yeah, Drive wasn't horror, and Only God Forgives was a mistake. mother! was... an experience. I've seen Black Swan quite a few times. I loved Melancholia and Nymphomaniac. I wish I could wipe Antichrist and Requiem for a Dream from my mind, those were traumatizing. Not scary like Hereditary, though. Aster's films are pretty shocking as well, but Midsommar feels special for some reason. Dancer in the Dark was affecting, too, I guess, but that's another one I never want to see again.

11. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Idk, their films are pretty horrific but idk if they fit in the horror genre. I generally love most of their stuff though. Neon Demon is prob the most horror but even that is maybe a bit of a stretch, it's just tagged as one on Letterboxd and I love it so I included it.

12. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

Lmao so colour out of space.... if you ignore the production value which feels like an early 2000s doctor who episode, I think it’s actually a pretty good movie?? Still not sure tbh. I’m so tired and I have no idea what I just watched.

Oh ya nic cage is off the rails , so that’s good

13. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I feel so drained after seeing lighthouse and whatever that was back to back . Too much physiological weirdness for me in one night

zigbigwig likes this.
  14. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

it2 was super cool. i feel like it’s really reliant on the first one though, and would be hard to watch standalone. some scenes i would have liked to have had more impact, but overall i thought it was a good.

probably going to always watch it back to back. everyone was great, crazy how uncanny the resemblance were between the young/old Losers.

i’m a fan. and will def put it as part of my horror rotation

Jake Gyllenhaal and 333 GANG like this.
  15. yung_ting

Trusted

This is... pretty much what I expected, I’m so fascinated by the film overall and can’t wait to see Nic get weird

16. Ma went full-bonkers in the third act, it wasn't perfect but it was a total blast

333 GANG likes this.
  17. 333 GANG

ACAB

This is on my list to watch when October rolls around

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Bezelbuth was not without some flaws, but overall I really enjoyed it. Solid possession film. Very tough for me to not picture Jigsaw anytime Tobin Bell spoke though, I really wish he had some sort of variation in his vocals although i’m really not sure what that would sound like I guess haha.

BirdPerson likes this.
  19. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I enjoyed IT Ch2 overall, but definitely liked the first one much more. Gosh, it felt unnecessarily long!

currytheword likes this.
  20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah probably gonna wait for br/on demand just like endgame. Not gonna hold my bladder that long

21. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

holy shit

333 GANG and Rowan5215 like this.
  22. Rowan5215

this is from the guy who directed The Blackcoat's Daughter, one of the best of the decade. cannot see it being less than great

Cory and angrycandy like this.
  23. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

yeah, I love his films. can't wait

Rowan5215 likes this.
  24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

My theater finally got ready or not. I rly enjoyed it. Adam Brody came throoooough. love that he ended up being the only decent one in the family. Was so sad he died but I guess I'd rather have him die that way than be a jerk and explode. Also like..... Why does anyone in that family get married?? I guess it's like a ~prestige thing for them, but like if they just didn't get married they wouldn't have to play the game right?? Like I know she wanted to get married but at that point put ur big boy pants on and just say no so u don't risk ur lives??? Husband guy was the worst.

supernovagirl likes this.
  25. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I’m not sure if this belongs here or in the Hulu thread but this months into the dark was gr8

Contender likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.