Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 570

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. the What We Do In The Shadows series is reeeeally good. it’s not scary though.

Matt and BackyardHero11 like this.
  2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

WWDITS is too good. I want it to go on forever so everyone has to watch it.

Matt and bradsonemanband like this.
  3. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Last AHS I watched was Coven but I'm interested in the new season

4. Hotel and, surprisingly, Cult were really good imo. (and obviously Asylum but that was before Coven so I assume you've watched it)

Contender likes this.
  5. Jake W

I've just never got around to trying them, I want to. Watched 2 episodes of freak show and that was enough, it put me off of the others for a while lol

6. Freak Show was the worrrrst hahaha

Jake W likes this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I used to do a yearly rewatch of AHS before a new season, but I hated Roanoke and Cult so much that I just stopped that entirely.

Agree that Hill House was outstanding and Chanel Zero is incredibly underrated.

I still need to watch Dark, but I’ve been assuming that’s more surreal and sci fi than horror? Either way it’s high on my list.

8. Jake W

It felt like such a misstep after the first 3 seasons(yes I liked coven). I gave up when I read that it actually gets worse as it goes on lol

9. There are tense and suspenseful sequences, but ya I wouldn't really call any of it horror. It's one of my favorite shows though, so get to it ASAP and throw your thoughts into the thread!

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Roanoke best season of AHS.

BirdPerson and Contender like this.
  11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I watched two eps of Roanoke and wasn't into the reenactment thing they were doing
    watched part of the first episode of Hotel and turned it off when Max Greenfield's character gets raped by that thing with a screw dick

12. Having not seen Hotel or Cult, Roanoke was definitely my favorite since Asylum. AHS is always too self-indulgent and ridiculous for me to ever fully love it, but I'm glad it exists. They consistently have interesting premises.

13. Murder House through Freak Show is good, Hotel is bad, Roanoke and Cult are good, Apocalypse was bad

14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

my ahs take is that the first season was the only true great one. asylum was almost great but the alien subplot was one too many. coven was mediocre.
    I haven’t been able to finish a season after those three. freak show was a mess

Matt and currytheword like this.
  15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I’ve only seen the first season when it aired and feel like trying to binge watch them all at this point is an effort, especially hearing about up and down seasons.

16. Eh, it's mostly worthwhile, trashy fun imo, I really just felt like nothing happened last season

17. currytheword

Trusted

I haven’t watched yet but I’ve heard some positive things about Typewriter from a friend. Been meaning to give it a shot.

18. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

American Psycho tonight. Been too long

Kuri44 and currytheword like this.
  19. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    Raw
    Carnival of Souls
    Mandy
    Hereditary
    The Witch
    House

20. currytheword Sep 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2019)
    currytheword

Trusted

I just got out of an IT: Chapter Two matinee. Honestly don’t think it was nearly as good as the first, but it has some great moments. This is all my opinion of course and I will spoiler tag for those that haven’t caught it yet.

The good:
    -Bill Hader. Absolutely steals the movie for me.
    -Humor is relatively very good and made me laugh at times I didn’t expect to.
    -I cringed at some of the more graphic moments, as in they are effective.
    -The choices for the adult actors to resemble the kids were spot on.
    -I think the part of having Eddie dying in a big heroic moment was well done.
    -There is a 1st time cameo I won’t dive into that I totally did not expect.

The bad:
    -The homophobic comments are one too many for me. Like, I don’t need to hear the F word 5 times in a horror movie, especially when it holds no weight and is constantly from shallow-written side characters. The graphic opening scene holds no weight to the rest of the movie and could’ve been done much more tastefully.
    -Too much CGI this time. First movie felt much more focused and less Hollywood, and it’s glaringly noticeable on the kid’s who hit puberty but needed to look younger.
    -I feel like there is maybe only 1-3 scenes where Bill is Pennywise without any CGI. And for a 3 hour movie, he feels next to non-existent.
    -The background story of Pennywise doesn’t feel fleshed out at all, or not nearly enough.
    -Quite a few scenes felt very predictable.
    -WHERE ARE THE POLICE? And if you see this, you’ll know what I mean.
    -Certain characters receive wounds that are quite seemingly brushed off and it makes 0 sense.

EASheartsVinyl and angrycandy like this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The Adrian Mellon scene was definitely one of the truest to the book, but you’re absolutely right that it didn’t end up holding any weight. It would have been so much more meaningful if they had actually held Derry accountable for their own atrocities instead of just letting everything slide.

And I know I sound like a broken record, but you should read the book! Almost all of your criticisms are covered, although there are definitely some super uncomfortable moments too.

22. currytheword

Trusted

I’m a big King fan and have read a lot of his books including IT. I know that it happens in the book, but the graphic sounds, the overabundance of punches and slurs, ETC ETC was just really overblown to me. Also the fact that it was supposed to be representative of a real life crime, it seems nearly dishonorable in a way.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh gotcha, I assumed you hadn’t because of calling Eddie’s honorable death a twist. I’m definitely with you that within this adaptation it was mishandled.

24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I have to go return some video tapes

25. currytheword

Trusted

Ah, no I see your point and I worded it badly. Simply the way they made him the hero of the scene and building it up as they did I loved. Hader’s response is buyable and believable.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.