Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 467

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m sure whatever he does will be great, I think the themes of this are something he can do really powerful work with, I just want Todd to be playing the role. Lol. It’s also tough because a really wonderful remake can be so special but I also just want Peele to be doing his own thing forever instead of reworking previous ideas.

Cory likes this.
  2. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

This is exactly what it boils down to for me. As soon as we start placing constraints on Peele, like who he has to cast, we’re limiting his vision which is what most often times ruins movies. Let’s love Todd for creating one of the best horror villains of the nineties, but also trust a successful remake is at least possible without him.

3. MrDaveH

Regular

Hellraiser Judgement was weird.
    The Auditor was a nice addition, but the story was trash and Pinhead didn't do much except sit around and look bored.
    The actor being a step up from Revelations isn't saying much.

The remakes that have been good and made money have all had respect for the originals and/or the original creators involved in some capacity. (IT, Halloween, Evil Dead...)

I'm sure Peele will do right by the franchise and include Tony Todd in some form or another.

Cory likes this.
  4. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

I remember the uproar of not bringing back Tim Curry as Pennywise, no one else could ever be the dancing clown. I also remember people bemoaning Bruce Campbell’s Ash being replaced with a female lead by Jane Levy (before people saw it and it turned out to be a kind of sequel). But those films turned out amazing.

Masked killers have the benefit of not having a true face, so they’re more interchangeable. But the subtleties the actors bring to the characters are often overlooked.

I do think Tony Todd will end up in the film in some fashion. Peele is too much of a horror nut to pass it up. All I’m saying is I think the franchise is in great hands and could be something special, and I felt like Todd was giving it the cold shoulder simply because he didn’t know if he was going to be a part of it. That rubbed me the wrong way is all.

5. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

This discussion has made my day haha. You guys are the best!

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

In a podcast interview Bruce said it was common for hardcore Evil Dead fans to ask if he was mad they did a reboot and his response was always, “umm... I was a producer of that movie”

Cory, MrDaveH and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That’s amazing.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  8. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

Haha. That level of blind fandom always makes me laugh. Exactly why I’m loving this discussion, everyone knows what they’re talking about, has a grounded opinion. No torch waving

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

If we were talking about a Candyman remake in general I would be in full torch mode. But Peele deserves so much trust that I can’t.

It is definitely a fair comparison. I’m obsessed with the book and I love the miniseries even with its major, major faults, but I was still ok with the remake once I heard that they were staying much truer to the source and trying to fix some of those earlier mistakes. Candyman has that potential, it will just hurt if he isn’t involved. Some of those shots and line deliveries still mess me up and haunt me.

Cory likes this.
  10. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Isn’t Peele just a producer on the Candyman remake?

Edit: He’s writing it too, so never mind.

11. currytheword

Trusted

Just got around to watching the trailer for Velvet Buzzsaw. 300% yes.

jkauf likes this.
  12. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

doesn't look like my thing

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m so so so excited for that.

jkauf likes this.
  14. Yeah, that looks crazy and fun.

jkauf likes this.
  15. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

chewbacca110 and currytheword like this.
  16. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

Haven’t heard of it. That movie poster is wild tho

yung_ting likes this.
  17. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

might eat an edible and watch the new Suspiria today

Rowan5215 and Kuri44 like this.
  18. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

You're in for a treat and maybe horrific nightmares watching that flick while high.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  19. Night Channels

Trusted

Did anyone watch The Passage?

20. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I'm going to but I'm getting Dark Tower flashbacks.

21. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

shit man, this was so good.

22. GBlades

Trusted

I watched it, they've changed a lot but it was pretty enjoyable. Excited to see where it goes.

23. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I couldn’t really get into Annihilation. And it’s the kind of movie that’s usually right up my alley

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Lovvved Annihilation. It’s what the new Alien movies should have felt like.

25. xkaylinh Jan 17, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 17, 2019)
    :-/

On another note, yes, Annihilation is great. I was more drawn in by its sci-fi and action elements, though; didn't really think of it as a horror film, even though it is indeed quite scary at some parts. It didn't really haunt me the same way Hereditary still does. Come to think of it, I may actually prefer things like that. Tag (the Japanese movie), for example, has horror elements, but it's not super scary. I was more intrigued by, uh, everything else about it. It kind of sounds counter-intuitive because that's what horror is supposed to do, but I kind of hate Hereditary for being too effective at scaring the shit out of me. I guess I'm just going to blame Hereditary for me recently not wanting to watch anything that I think would scare me too much or else I wouldn't have chickened out on It Follows.

BackyardHero11 likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.