Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 429

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I enjoyed The Boy surprisingly more than expected. It's not amazing or anything, but by the low standards of wide release PG-13 horror, it's not bad

BKO5950505 likes this.
  2. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

3. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Despite some questionable elements, Sleepaway Camp 2 is a great slab of 80’s horror cheese

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Have you seen part 3? Pamela Springsteen is so menacing, she’s Patrick Bateman before Patrick Bateman.

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

In the last few weeks I have watched The Witch, Raw, and Black Christmas for the first time along with some of the classics I normally watch this time of year. I really enjoyed The Witch and Black Christmas. Raw was a really different style of horror movie than I was used to, but I think it was good.

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I love black Christmas. Jess is my underrated horror queen :heart:

airik625, ChaseTx and Michael Schmidt like this.
  7. Michael Schmidt

She is great! Her character and the movie was ahead of its time from that standpoint. I’m also convinced John Hughes and Wes Craven were influenced by Black Christmas when creating Halloween and Scream.

8. Halloween was definitely influenced by Black Christmas (I think you meant Carpenter tho)

currytheword and Michael Schmidt like this.
  9. ChaseTx

I wanna see John Hughes' Halloween

10. Watched Candyman, Coppola's Dracula, Escape From Tommorow, and Creepshow 2 over the past week.

- Candyman is SO good, enjoyed it much more than I did as a kid. The score is excellent. Gonna have to try the sequels.

- All of the best and worst moments of Coppola's Dracula couldn't save it from being a truly uninteresting slog of a film.

- Escape From Tomorrow was about as insane as I remembered it being, although I enjoyed it a bit more now considering I used to hate surrealist films. Still not sure that it's a great film, per se, but it's certainly interesting and the one I'm most curious about hearing others' thoughts itt.

- Creepshow 2 was fun in a nostalgic sense (I just love the lighting and color of those films), but also incredibly dated and not nearly as tight as the first film.

currytheword likes this.
  11. Michael Schmidt

Haha me too. Was thinking one thing and typed another. I’m just gonna leave that post as is for everyone to enjoy.

ChaseTx likes this.
  12. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

Don’t hold your breath about the Candyman sequels lol

Aaron Mook and currytheword like this.
  13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I gotta tell you all - it is so much fun watching horror movies I've seen with my girlfriend, who has seen hardly nothing. We were even joking about have a podcast about it where we have the vet (me) and her, the horror virgin, discuss our takes on a particular movie.

We watched the original TCM last night and the up close shots of Leatherface licking his teeth and the whole ending dinner scene were too much for her. Grandpa sucking her bloody finger ellicted the most visceral reaction and she was squirming on the couch. It's good to know these horror movies still have the power to upset and shock folks.

zigbigwig likes this.
  14. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Halloween is so good, especially after watching the original a few days ago.

Laurie doing the disappearing act on Myers, and performing other serial killer parlor tricks made me laugh so hard. That was such a refreshing take and I love it.

currytheword and chewbacca110 like this.
  15. currytheword

Trusted

Since the beginning of October i've watched (in no particular order):

Halloween (1978)
    Halloween II
    Halloween (2018)
    Halloween: Resurrection (Trick or Treat, motherfucker)
    The Nun
    Hereditary
    The Haunting Of Hill House
    Pet Sematary
    The Babadook
    It Follows
    The Shining
    Hellraiser (This movie does not hold up for me)
    Scream 2

I didn't dive too far into classics. My newer co-workers and gf hadn't seen quite a few of these so I made viewings happen. My 3 friends from work who are all women watched Babadook with me last night and were freaking out. Was quite funny. I then proceeded to shut the power off to the top floor and mess with them.

16. ChaseTx

My month so far:

Halloween
    The Fog
    A Wrinkle in Time (whatever, I watched it and I'm counting it)
    The House With A Clock In Its Walls
    Deadtime Stories
    Halloween II
    Child's Play
    Prevenge
    House of 1000 Corpses
    Apostle
    Halloween 4
    Hell House LLC
    Creep 2
    The Fly
    Predator 2
    The Birds
    Terrifier
    Halloween 5
    Son of Frankenstein
    Goosebumps 2
    The Invisible Man
    Unmasked Part 25

17. currytheword

Trusted

What did you think of this? I have read mixed opinions and haven't made the attempt to catch it yet. Initial reactions seemed great, later ones not so much.

18. ChaseTx

It blew my expectations out of the water. It feels like a classic kids Halloween/spooky movie. Highly recommend

Aaron Mook, jkauf and currytheword like this.
  19. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

is Resurrection any good? I like campy horror but I’m worried it might be just boring and not campy at all.

currytheword likes this.
  20. currytheword

Trusted

I mean...if you can put aside a desire for a solid storyline similar to the original, you can enjoy this cause you won't get that. Completely unintentionally campy, but fun. I know most of the time rappers attempting to act usually isn't good at all, but I enjoy Busta Rhymes too much in this. Similarly to P. Diddy in that Jonah Hill movie.

But I cannot confidently call this movie "good." Entertaining, but not good.

zigbigwig and Aaron Mook like this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Since October 1:
    Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
    Tourist Trap
    Halloween
    Tales of Halloween
    The Babysitter
    The Beyond
    Hocus Pocus
    Cabin in the Woods
    Child's Play 3
    Raw
    Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
    Street Trash
    Friday the 13th: Jason Lives
    Murder Party
    Nightmare Before Christmas
    A Quiet Place

I'm currently watching the original TCM with my film class. Might watch The Final Girls or Behind the Mask with them too before Halloween.

22. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

halloween
    halloween II
    halloween (new one)
    a nightmare on elm st
    terrified
    the texas chainsaw massacre
    the texas chainsaw massacre II
    the house of the devil
    blood and black lace
    jacob's ladder
    the birds
    sleepaway camp II
    sorority babes in the slimeball bowl o rama
    blood feast
    opera
    the cabinet of dr caligari
    castle freak
    the reef
    night of the demons
    the host
    night of the living dead

i was steadily chipping away at my hooptober list but i am now out of all titles available for streaming so im gonna have to start renting

23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

Was this a good time? I've always wanted to watch it

24. currytheword

Trusted

Night of the Living Dead is still the best zombie movie ever. Never gets old, I think I may try to watch that tonight.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.