Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 375

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. GBlades

Trusted

Great choices.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh god give me time. Obvi Scream. The Faculty, Idle Hands, From Dusk Til Dawn

3. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Idle Hands!!!! That movie is criminally underrated.

OhTheWater likes this.
  4. Cory Aug 18, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 18, 2018)
    Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

Heavily disagree with this. We’ve been in a new golden age of horror thanks to a surge of indie horror out there. A24, Blumhouse, and others have been putting out amazing stuff. Sure there is still plenty of the generic money makers out there from the major publishers, but that was almost exclusively what we dealt with in the 90’s and 2000’s. The Slasher fad gave way to the found footage fad and we didn’t have much diversion.

5. marsupial jones Aug 18, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 18, 2018)
    marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

A Quiet Place

maybe a long review will go in the movie specific thread, but for now some bullet points.

- movie proves why kids are the absolute fucking worst

- i dislike when smart movies have moments that don't really make any sense in the greater context of things when the kids are making a fuck ton of noise in the silo, they would have been dead in a heartbeat. why did only the creature from the house show up? why not others? they hear the gunshot at the end, but not them in the silo? why didn't any come when John screamed? how far can they hear? a creature hears the picture frame break in the fucking basement? how close are they and why do they seemingly live on the roof or something. are the creatures like bats and use sonar? how can they move about a house and not bump into shit yet only know where people are by noises? why are the creatures not always by a river? do they get used to the sound and realize nothing is there? why don't people live by the rivers so they don't have to be as quiet?
    the opening scene was fantastic except for a handful of dumb fucking decisions. the youngest kid has lived in this environment for 89 fucking days and yet he STILL grabs the batteries and puts them in the toy? and why do they have the YOUNGEST kid - FOUR YEARS OLD - walk LAST when you have to be quiet? shouldn't it go: parent, middle son, daughter, youngest son, parent? don't get me the wrong, the scene served a huge purpose to show how serious this world is and how badass those creatures are, but man. illogical parenting at best. and my biggest pet peeve of movies is kids doing dumb shit in them. i get it, that would totally happen in real life, but that doesn't mean i want to see it happen in a movie. aggravating.

- wonderfully directed and acted. John has some serious, serious talent and skill.

- can these things fly? i feel like for the old man and the youngest son these things were flying around yet other times they're speed crab walking around.
    - too many jump scares (unnecessary imo)

- LOVE the creature design. looks like someone was a big Venom fan which is perfectly cool with me!

GBlades likes this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

New Puppet Master was a ton of fun. SUPER campy. Every time I thought it couldn't get crazier, it topped itself. The acting was really good. Was surprised and excited about some of the casting.

OhTheWater and Cory like this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Nu-horror is cool but gimmie a new goddamn gory slasher franchise pleaseeeeee

chewbacca110 likes this.
  8. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Horror as a genre is the strongest it’s been since the 80’s right now. The cost of filmmaking has dropped a ton in recent years so we’re currently in a new age of creativity and exploration in the genre. Like I could take something like Hereditary and I could easily stack that against any horror film since the 90’s against it.

9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Horror hasn’t been as “strong” as it was in the 80s ever, imo

10. DarkHotline

Firmly disagree, the indie and foreign markets currently are putting plenty of titles that could compete with the best of the 80’s in my opinion. Plus, the advent of streaming is practically the new grindhouse with horror too.

11. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

I love love love 80’s horror, but let’s be real here and acknowledge that it was great because of the 70’s. Halloween. TCM. Exorcist. Alien. Black Christmas. The slasher genre was born. Directors like Romero started infusing more political commentary than had been seen in the genre. Wes Craven was finding his stride with Last House in the Left and Hills Have Eyes. Dario Argento was mastering his craft. If we aren’t living in the best era for horror now, then I’d say it has to be 70’s.

12. DarkHotline

A fair point

13. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah the movie was good but had plot holes and stupid decisions. We don't even live in a world with those creatures and I'd still never have my four year old nephew walk behind me like that and idk anyone who would. It was such a stupid thing just meant to serve the purpose of the kid dying. It was too illogical and unbelievable.

14. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Also The Faculty >>>>

15. I own the DVD, but we caught a midnight showing of Killer Klowns From Outer Space for our upcoming horror pod last night. Such a blast.

16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

fun movie

17. mad

I was right. Prestigious

The current “era” of horror is definitely my favourite

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. MrDaveH

Regular

Like?
    Seriously. I've been rewatching a lot of the classic slasher franchises and they're pretty tame by today's standards.

19. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

Reviews for Rondo have me intrigued. Sounds like it’ll be a solid film.

20. Re: a quiet place - I felt the ending should have been the beginning of the third act and let it get real Edgar Wright-y. Still a super fun watch.

21. DarkHotline

I really hope that sequel for it never happens

bradsonemanband likes this.
  22. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

You’re dreaming haha. The writers have said they have ideas to make a whole universe out of it. They’re going to ride that money train til it breaks down haha

Aaron Mook and bradsonemanband like this.
  23. BackyardHero11

Trusted

oh sweet, I'll have to check out The Visit

Aaron Mook and bradsonemanband like this.
  24. DarkHotline

This isn’t how I wanted to start my day.

Aaron Mook and currytheword like this.
  25. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

haha. I’m sorry buddy. If it’s any consultation, I couldn’t find the interview. So maybe I made it up

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.