Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 374

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Kiana Aug 17, 2018
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2018)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Oh my God this is just getting worse why is this a movie

Edit : OK I finished it and like this entire concept could've been done without the cheap gross weird sexual stuff

2. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I was considering watching that with my wife. Perhaps not now

4. VC88

Shutter island hand

Most horror movies today are terrible. I find myself watching mostly 90’s - early 2000s horror flicks because today’s films, blood that looks like Kool-Aid jammer, making too much crying noises, and a screaming white chick falling is in every one of them.

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The ending half was okay once that stopped but there were like... Sexual things in front of kids which was too much for me and imo completely unnecessary and where I draw a line. Like I don't want the tension of a movie to be like.... Are these kids going to be sexually assaulted? It was trash imo. Idk if this post is a spoiler but I feel like it's a warning more than anything!

ChaseTx likes this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I personally think there have been some fantastic horror movies as of late.

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The Invitation, Get Out, The Wailing, The Ritual, It Follows, IT, You’re Next, Raw, The Conjuring etc.

We’ve been spoiled

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Not related to horror at all, but I watched the Full Monty last night and I spent like half the movie screaming at everyone because there’s a young kid in every scene involving the dudes stripping and it was so weird. CPS gets involved at one point and it’s painted like this horrible, unfair thing. Just super strange.

Also I agree that horror in the past 5 or 6 years has been way better overall than the era before that and some true classics have been coming out regularly.

oncenowagain likes this.
  9. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

The Witch, Insidious, Don’t Breathe, The Visit (I liked it, at least), The Babadook, The Loved Ones, Cabin in the Woods, Hereditary. Spoiled is putting it somewhat mildly imo.

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah The Babadook, and The Vist were great too. I actually think The Visit, and Split are good horror movies. He’s turned it around now imo

ChaseTx and oncenowagain like this.
  11. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

The Visit is seriously underrated. The fear of old people, the fear of aging, the fear of dying. Real shit.

ChaseTx, Aaron Mook, jkauf and 2 others like this.
  12. MrDaveH

Regular

Really? The 90's-2000s didn't have lazy effects, too many crying noises and a glut of screaming white chicks falling down in every one of them?
    *Insert a thousand jpgs of the Scream-styled cast covers here.*

If you need recommendations for great post 2005 horror there's been several posted just below your comment and I'm sure I can post plenty more.

Aaron Mook and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  13. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

if you think modern horror films don’t stack up to those of the 90’s then it’s really just a case of you not watching the right films

ChaseTx, Aaron Mook and Vivatoto like this.
  14. GBlades

Trusted

I've seen my fair share of horror and some of them are some of the best pieces of cinematography that i have ever seen. I used to think horror of the 90s was fantastic but now I can't even bare to watch some of the sloppy effects. They were good at the time and nostalgia is there but that's about it.

You can't really compare the two. Two different style of horror from different eras but you also can't say they are terrible. You're either watching the wrong movies or going in with a blanket "this is shit" attitude before even watching it.

15. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Different styles for sure, but I think the horror scene is stronger now than it’s been since the mid-80s, with a particular low point being the mid to late 90s.

ChaseTx, Cameron and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  16. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

definitely feel like horror is more accepted these days and there's more variety to it which makes it ten fucking trillion times better than it used to be. looking back, i feel like the 90's as being nothing but mostly shit sequels to the same 4 franchises over and over again and something that wasn't taken seriously or looked at as something that could be done in a smart / interesting fashion. nowadays there is so much more variety and skill in horror movies and it's treated as it should be - like a "real" genre, nothing something that has an asterisk next to it or something (i.e. award shows, casting and acting in particular)

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

90s horror gets shit on too much

18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t know, there were some reeeeeeal stinkers that came out in that era.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh absolutely but the same for each decade

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Hadno idea there was a new Puppet Master movie. Gonna have to check it out.

21. mad

I was right. Prestigious

watched the babadook for the second time and it made me cry so damn much

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  22. TedSchmosby

Trusted

What are your favourites from the 90s?

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It will always be much more of a drama about grief than a horror movie to me and I can only watch it when I want to lose it instead of being scared.

mad likes this.
  24. GBlades

Trusted

Poltergeist was so scary for me. The little girl looked liked my sister and I hated them both after watching it

25. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

triple threat lined up for tonight:

Strangers: Prey at Night
    The Conjuring
    A Quiet Place

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.