Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie • Page 209

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Anyone see Don't Be Afraid of the Dark? Rented it based on the Guillermo connection and having heard nothing about it

2. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I saw it at the theater when it came out. Something was botched with the projector that night and everything was way darker than it should have been. As you can imagine, with a movie called Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, the movie was dark enough as is, and so I could literally see nothing during some scenes. I haven't gone back to it since then, but it was a huge bummer. Any tension that would have been created through cinematography and lighting was ruined

Aaron Mook likes this.
  3. BKO5950505

Regular

Yeah...My wife and I "saw it" at the drive in. Super dark.

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

you're welcome, hope ya liked it! and yes, Blanck Mass is fantastic but I won't clog this thread with too large of a Fuck Buttons appreciation post haha

angrycandy likes this.
  5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I liked it a lot, although I doubt I will ever have the desire to watch it again, given how much of a bummer it is.

Joel likes this.
  6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

It's a queasy watch for sure. Very well done but I also don't think I'll be coming back to it

angrycandy likes this.
  7. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Just watched Hounds of Love. I'm glad it wasn't as exploitative or as explicit as the trailer made me feel it would be. I was anticipating The Girl Next Door and I ended up getting something more along the lines of Kalifornia. Of course this thread is a great place to talk about this movie, but I don't think I'd even call it a horror film. Very impressed

angrycandy likes this.
  8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Watched the first half of Raw last night, and if I hadn't have been exhausted I would have finished it. Loving it so far.

angrycandy likes this.
  9. Raw was:ok:. There's some symbolism going on that I'm still trying to work out, but overall I thought it was pretty good.

The reports of people passing out a festival screening of this is suspect. I thought it was tame, at least in terms of French Extreme standards.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  10. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I think all that was fabricated but you have to admit there is some pretty fucked up shit in there and that the movie certainly isn't for the faint of heart. I think it might well cause someone to pass out, but I also think those stories are dubious at best.

something I am very worried about with this wonderful little film is that people are gonna go into it expecting something different from what it is, it is not a gore fest, just a good film.

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, it's not improbable that someone fainted during the film. It likely had nothing to do with the content and maybe the person just felt, y'know, faint but you can't blame the PR team for running with it as it created a lot of buzz

12. Oh for sure, there is definitely some fucked up shit in it. Most of my friends would probably be repulsed ha. I sometimes forget I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who has seen a lot of gory movies.

13. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I paused it to use the washroom, but I'm 40 minutes into a movie called The Triangle and it has the potential to be my favourite of the 140 movies I've watched this year. Don't even know if it's a horror movie yet, but I'm getting Creep (2014) vibes so I figured I'd post

14. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Is that the one with Melissa George on the ship?

15. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Triangle is great / amazing / a good head scratcher.

Not sure what The Triangle is. Amazon has a lot of options, but based on how good most movies are with title of geometric shapes I'll probably put it on the TBW list.

16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Nope, that's Triangle from 2009. Also a fun watch! This one is from 2016

17. Cory

Doing fine. Prestigious

I think one of the worst things to happen to Raw was it getting labeled as French Extremism. I wouldn't classify it as that at all. In my mind, it's the same disservice The Witch received last year by being called the scariest movie of the decade or whatever their marketing said.

18. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Watching Henry for the first time. I wish I had gone with something lighter, or funnier, but I can already tell this one is going to stick with me. The clinical/documentary-like approach is really effective.

20. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

It's a solid movie. Michael Rooker does one of the most under-appreciated performances in the history of the genre, he is bone-chilling in that role. It's also one of the true gems of the 80's.

21. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Just watched Home Movie (2008) after hearing good things about it for years from people I respect. Can't say I agree with their thoughts. One of the more laughable found footage movies, unfortunately

22. Someone mentioned 8mm in this thread which led to me renting it and woof, what a strange one. Nicholas Cage is so, so bad leaving the first half of the film almost unwatchable, but then Peter Stormare (and Joaquin Phoenix to a lesser extent) save the second half and particularly the last 20 minutes when the rage of Cage is unleashed and he goes full John Wick are amazing. What a rollercoaster.

23. Also I bought a copy of Get Out last night and it was even better the second time. Incredible film.

mad, ChaseTx and bradsonemanband like this.
  24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I watched it for the first time a few years ago and it felt so dated. Se7en still holds up, though

DarkHotline and Aaron Mook like this.
  25. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

I saw 8mm in the theater, back when Cage was King lol

DarkHotline likes this.
Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.