Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horror Thread [Archived] Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

The official horror movie thread.

2. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Anyone here from Dallas or plan to be here at the end of April? I'm going to Texas Frightmare Weekend, and so far I'm going alone. Might take my daughter to see some of it, but I'll need to ditch her if I want to check out any movies

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

I have a habit of watching mediocre/straight shitty horror movies while doing homework. most recently was Orphan, which honestly could have been okay if it weren't predicated on such an absurd twist and devoid of any semblance of subtlety (my favorite might be the hammer scene where all caution is thrown out the window in favor of general plot advancement)

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

5. Threads

Regular Prestigious

Oh hey a thread for me. Horror is easily my favorite film and game genre so I consume quite a bit. I even give the trashy/really bad stuff a go at times because I love suffering. :verysad:

I look forward to seeing more posts in here.

6. Nice! Been meaning to watch Creep, The House October Built and Extraterrestrial on Netflix sometime soon. Also planning on revisiting Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake.

Speaking of remakes, anyone see Poltergeist?

7. I also finally saw They Live! for the first time with my screenwriting professor.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Definitely watch Creep. That's a top ten horror movie for last year. Don't know about the others.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. Nice. I'm read really great things.

10. Threads

Regular Prestigious

Just watched this one tonight and it wasn't so hot. I haven't even seen the original so I can imagine it might be worse if you have things to compare it to.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

I have, wasn't very pleased with it. It tried so hard to be like the original but just didn't match the same charm. The CGI wasn't too great, the story could honestly of been lifted from nine other Poltergeist clones, and the whole recession theme kinda stunk. That and the cast, as much as I love Sam Rockwell, was no were near as good as the OG Poltergeist.

12. DarkHotline

Kinda ticked at Hulu right now, they had some great Fulci and cannibal exploitation gems in their selection and they just took them off recently to my dismay.

13. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Lights Out looks really good and I definitely want to go see it.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. ChaseTx

Definitely looks like a Wan movie. I'm sure I'll see it.

15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

OhTheWater and ChaseTx like this.
  16. DarkHotline

It should honestly be cancelled, fuck Victor Salva.

17. ChaseTx

The first one wasn't even good imo

18. DarkHotline

I get why people like those movies but it's just not worth letting that man make another movie after what he's done. I straight up refuse to watch them after I found out about him, I just can't support the art of a horrible person like him.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I enjoyed the second one, but fuck that guy. How did he get any work after that?

20. DarkHotline

New Line and Disney can be to blame since they both gave him opportunities after he was convicted and served his sentence. Pretty sure Disney was in hot water for Powder after it came out as to what he did. Overall though, I'd really blame the public honestly just not caring. People like to rattle their sabers about stuff like that but when it comes to actually not supporting an artist based on his or her awful actions, people tend to look the other way. Hell, look at Roman Polanksi and Woody Allen, the latter had people defending him and dismissing Dylan Farrow when the accusations came to light.

21. ChaseTx

It still blows my mind how Polanski isn't behind bars

22. DarkHotline Mar 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Mar 28, 2016)
    DarkHotline

He should be but now, it's futile to do so. It would purely be symbolic if he was jailed for what he did at this point, he basically got away with it in the end. How his legacy will be viewed after he dies and people reflect on that crime, that remains to be seen.

23. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Polanski is a lot harder for me to grapple with because his art is consistently so good. that doesn't negate the awful crimes he committed but i'm more tempted to separate the man from the art as a result. whether or not i should, i don't know, because I do the same for Salva. but it's easier to say fuck Salva's art because it's pretty much all, you know, not worth a ton. so I guess I'm consistent and I do separate the two, but i feel guiltier for Polanski.

ChaseTx likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

25. DarkHotline

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.