Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Horrible Crowes – Elsie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Brian Fallon didn’t NEED to make Elsie. By the time this album arrived – the one and only record Fallon made with the side project he dubbed The Horrible Crowes – Fallon was already well on his way to rock star status…or, at least, it seemed that way at the time. His full-time band, The Gaslight Anthem, had released three albums and an EP in the space of three years and about two weeks – a remarkable run that saw the band gaining ground with each release. By the time Elsie arrived in September 2011, there was already buzz brewing about Gaslight Anthem LP4, and about how that album had the potential to launch Fallon and company into a whole new stratosphere. Just about anyone else would have taken a well-deserved break. Based on the exhaustion that would eventually crash The Gaslight Anthem, maybe Fallon should have. Instead, he teamed up with his guitar tech, Ian Perkins, and made one of the great left-turn albums in 21st century rock ‘n’ roll. Some days, I think it might just be his masterpiece.

Elsie was the first Brian Fallon album I ever loved right away. The ’59 Sound and American Slang are albums I have come to adore in every respect, but they were slow burns for me. I came to The ’59 Sound right at the same time I was falling into the world of Bruce Springsteen, and at the time, listening to it mostly just made me want to go listen to Born to Run or Darkness on the Edge of Town. I fell in love with The ’59 Sound in the years that followed, to the point where I was highly anticipating 2010’s American Slang. But that album scanned to me, at first, as thrilling but slight. Its fleet 10-song tracklist and no-frills production style are what I view today as two of the top draws of the album, but they left me at the time with a distinct “Is this it?” feeling.

But Elsie was different. Elsie was like diving into the dark heart of a dream. From the first time I heard it, it felt like an immersive, experiential epic. I was obsessed, at the time, with the idea of a songwriter stripping things back and getting “serious.” Rock ‘n’ roll anthems were great, but I firmly believed that an artist’s greatest works were waiting to be found when they turned down the amps, scaled back the production, and bared their souls. Elsie felt like that kind of album: the Nebraska, maybe, or the Blood on the Tracks. The album where the larger-than-life rock ‘n’ roll persona cracks and you get to see the fragile, blemished humanity behind the curtain.

Looking back, I’m not sure how I ever thought Elsie was a glimpse behind the curtain. In reality, this album is an enigma, a maze, a house of mirrors. Fact and fiction always have a tendency to blur in Fallon’s music, but here, everything gets so blurry that it’s sometimes hard to even tell which way is up and which way is down. The album sounds like the story of one sleepless, otherworldly night, where your own exhaustion eventually puts your mind into a state where it’s playing tricks on you. It’s a night fraught with haunted memories and cheating lovers, with crime and with loneliness. “If I drove straight off this bridge/Only God and my baby would know,” Brian sings in “Cherry Blossoms.” In “Ladykiller,” he equates heaven with simply being able to sleep through the night. In “Blood Loss,” his first love isn’t just a heartbreaker, but an arsonist, or maybe even a murderer. And in “I Believe Jesus Brought Us Together,” Brian is the killer, unlikely to get into heaven for all the bad things he’s done. “I age by years at the mention of your name,” he sings in “Behold the Hurricane,” the closest the album gets to sounding like The Gaslight Anthem. By the end of the record, you feel like years may have passed in the narrator’s mind—even if everything that’s happened has just been that one long, confused, hallucination trip of a night.

The stark lyrical images in these songs are like fever dreams, trading all the blaring hope of the Gaslight records for something dark and bloody and tinged with nagging doubt. It’s a bold flex for Fallon, who by this point had shared the stage with Springsteen and seemingly been anointed the next in a long line of rock ‘n’ roll royalty. We already knew he could command a crowd, but here, he was showing how much of a poet he could be. The bridge of “Black Betty & The Moon”; the first verse of “Blood Loss”; the creepy menacing whole of “Cherry Blossoms.” These songs carry some of Fallon’s most vivid and evocative writing ever. Freed, for a moment, from trying to write songs that would go off in a club or an arena, Brian pens a one-of-a-kind Waits-ian collection of stories that you’d expect to hear from a clairvoyant drunk at 2 a.m. at the bar on a Wednesday morning. It’s bizarre, but also inexplicably beautiful.

Fallon would never make another Horrible Crowes record, and frankly, it’s fitting that Elsie stands by itself. Just like the characters in the songs, the album is defined by its crushing, irredeemable solitude. Flickers of the Elsie sound have cropped up here and there on his future records, like on “Underneath the Ground,” a curveball from final Gaslight Anthem album Get Hurt; or on “Hard Feelings,” the haunting penultimate standout from his Fallon’s most recent solo outing, Local Honey. But the albums Fallon made after this have either felt more tied to Fallon’s arena rock aspirations (Handwritten, bits of Get Hurt), his love for Americana songwriting (Local Honey, or the Full Moon Fever-esque anthems of his solo debut Painkillers), or the R&B influence he started embracing on American Slang (2018’s Sleepwalkers). Nothing else Fallon has done has quite recaptured the dark, bloody, broody feel of Elsie. Frankly, there’s really no other record quite like it, by anyone. And that’s kind of cool, because Brian Fallon has spent such a good chunk of his career being compared to big names from the past: to Springsteen, to Petty, to Joe Strummer; it’s somehow fitting that what makes his side project so special is that it is so totally unique to him.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. One of my favorite albums ever.

Quercus and Craig Manning like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think I bought this one on vinyl in a bundle from SideOneDummy that also included The '59 Sound and American Slang. Real good use of $40 there. I have red variants of both of those Gaslight records, but my Elsie is just the standard black.

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Now, that's a damn good order.

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

It was a good day when all of that arrived.

6. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Any conversation about what album is my favorite of all time has to start with Elsie.

7. rbf737

Regular

Such a great record. Ladykiller's one of my favorite tracks of all time.

8. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

This one continues to grow on me. I never loved this from first listen like most gaslight/Fallon fans.

Great review though

Elder Lightning likes this.
  9. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Always loved this album. Great review.

10. Your opening paragraph made me realize: Elsie is the only deviation from Fallon (either with TGA or solo) releasing one new LP exactly every two years since 2008.

With how consistent he's been for nearly a decade, I'd forgotten just how prolific he was back in '07-'12.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Outside of Gaslight Anthem.....this is Brian's second best work. Sleepwalkers is his best ;)

12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve love Sleepwalkers and Elsie for very different reasons. When you look at Brian’s collective works, I find every release has some of his “best” songs. There are also a lot of “bests” in this guys discography. So impressive.

Behold The Hurricane, Last Rites and Ladykiller are probably my favourite on here amongst so many string songs. Elsie really highlighted his talent and musical diversity we all knew was there, but to do it so well on his first Crowes album was impressive. I’d also credit Ian and Brian working with Ted Hutt. Considering they did records together before, to be able to capture a new side with a familiar artist is impressive.

13. brothemighty Sep 8, 2021
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2021)
    brothemighty

Trusted

It's good, but as groanworthy and wrongheaded at times as everything else he's made. Definitely a few very skippable songs

I loved it so much at the time though. Can't believe that was ten fucking years ago

I found my old review lol. If you're reading this now and you're 19 take comfort that you can write better than this