Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Apr 10, 2016.

1. abw123

Trusted

So, seeing the news of the new album has made me go revisit these 9 new tracks they've put out. Like others in this thread have commented, I really didn't give them the usual # of listens because I like to consume new music in album form......and these were all singles.....it just kinda got past me.

Going back and giving these a full listen now........I'm very excited about the new album. No idea about the 5 new songs, but of the 5 already released, I think all except Star 18 are very very good and Star 18 is fine.

I also really like The Last Thing and Snake In The Shower, I'm surprised those didn't make the album. The other 2 left off (Esther and Eureka) are the clear weakest two for me so good choices there.

While I like Teeth Dreams and Heaven is Whenever just fine, they PALE in comparison to the first 4 albums for me.......these new songs seem like a return to form. The return of the keys and horns was so important, and so missed, on those last 2 records. But as much as that, I feel like the cheeky lyrics and the JOY of this band sounds back, if that makes any sense. They're just not the same band without the keys and extra instrumentation.

If anyone hasn't given those 9 new songs a listen, you need to.

Last comment, "Records & Tapes", which was a Teeth Dreams B-Side some may not have heard (?), is a great song that should have made that album......check it out

CoffeeEyes17 and radiodead like this.
  2. Barcara

Regular

Oh man, those two are my faves!

3. radiodead

Trusted

First four albums are as good of an opening four album run in music history. They were phenomenal. Last 2 records are good, but a solid step down. I too enjoy the return of the horns and keys. So excited for a full LP.

CoffeeEyes17 and the rural juror like this.
  4. abw123

Trusted

I guess the new songs got played at the last tour stop, I wonder if they are as good as the latter 5 ?

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I kinda assumed Esther and Eureka might be left off because they were the most played songs out of all the new singles. Like, they are kinda THS canon now whereas the others maybe aren't as much.

6. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

SteveLikesMusic and radiodead like this.
  7. denver haircut is really great

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

got a Denver Haircut on my mind?

9. radiodead

Trusted

Idk if I just never really “listened” to “T Shirt Tux” but wow so good. “Denver Haircut” also great. Prrttttt confident this record is gonna be really good.

10. eagles1139

Regular

Super pumped that all of those one-off songs kinda slipped past my radar lol. Will continue to ignore them! Between this, The National, Springsteen, Menzingers just finishing recording, and Brian Fallon about to record, this is shaping up to be quite the year for music.

11. Barcara Jun 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 19, 2019)
    Barcara

Regular

After hearing Craig reason it out, I'm more okay with the track listing. All the released songs are great anyways.

Tempted to get the LP with the singles artwork print. I dig the style a lot.

12. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

This is the most I've enjoyed a Hold Steady song in a longgggggg time.

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Craig Manning likes this.
  14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Fucking classic

15. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd say so

16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I know what I’m listening to today.

radiodead likes this.
  17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i think i like this band now

Steve_JustAGuy and radiodead like this.
  18. cherrywaves

Trusted

Jesus I totally forgot their record was coming out

19. you vandal

Regular

Does it come out Friday?

20. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

This band is so good!

hairtaylor likes this.
  21. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Separation Sunday
    Boys & Girls
    Stay Positive
    Heaven is Whenever = Almost Killed Me
    [Power Gap]
    Teeth Dreams

22. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

My unpopular opinion is that Heaven Is Whenever is their second best record.

troyplaysbass likes this.
  23. radiodead

Trusted

1. Boys & Girls in America (one of the single most important records in my life, I stanned so hard around these parts for that record when that cycle was starting up, I even reviewed it)
    2. Separation Sunday
    3. Stay Positive
    4. Almost Killed Me
    5. Heaven is Whenever
    6. Teeth Dreams

24. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Basically their first four albums are straight 10s and deserve to go down as classics.

Heaven and Teeth are like..7s. Perfectly fine, with a few choice cuts, but I rarely think about them.

radiodead likes this.
  25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I like(d) HIW more than AKM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Craig Manning likes this.