Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Apr 10, 2016.

1. kpatrickwood May 5, 2016
    (Last edited: May 5, 2016)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

From the e-mail just sent out by the band...

So stoked for this even though it just sounds like just a few shows. Finally repressing Almost Killed Me and Separation Sunday is also a huge fucking deal.

2. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Came in here to post "still waiting for a Separation Sunday repress" and was both shocked and surprised to see that email. I'm damn excited!

kpatrickwood likes this.
  3. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

It's certainly not on the same level as their first four records for me, but I still think it's a killer fucking rock album. Definitely give it some more time. Have you checked out the b-sides from it? There were definitely some scraps that I like a lot more than some of the album songs.

Exhibit A

4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Teeth Dreams has some weak spots but like 75% of it is brilliant.

5. Ready and willing to take time off work and school, drop the money, and hit the road to catch one of these BAGIA shows with Franz. Will not miss that if at all possible.

Craig Manning likes this.
  6. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

If it's sometime during my summer break, I will definitely consider making the trip too. Hoping for at least one Southeast show, although I know it's a long shot.

7. cherrywaves

Trusted

Honestly the one time I saw them live pre-Teeth Dreams, they were amazing, but the lack of keys was super noticeable

8. mouood

ever seen a guy say goodbye to a shoe? Prestigious

Teeth Dreams has some really good songs (Spinners, Oaks), but the production ruins it a bit for me.

9. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Sometimes I forget about "Oaks", but definitely one of their better songs.

Now that I think about it, they always have great album closers.

10. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

If a 10-year Boys and Girls tour comes to Australia I will let out the strangest happy noises. And I only think that's their second best record (Separation Sunday is an all timer)!

kpatrickwood likes this.
  11. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

And in terms of good songs post-Franz. 95% of their work up to Heaven Is Whenever is flawless. Ask Her For Adderall is one of the best B sides of all time.
    From their past two (post-Franz albums) here is my one great album:
    1. "The Sweet Part of the City"
    2. "The Weekenders"
    3. "Rock Problems" (Finn, Kubler, John Reis)
    4. "We Can Get Together"
    5. "I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You" (Finn, Kubler)
    6. "Spinners" (Finn, Kubler)
    7. "The Only Thing"
    8. "The Ambassador"
    9. "On with the Business"
    10. "Oaks" (Finn, Kubler)
    Of those The Weekenders is my favourite song, followed by Oaks. If I was being harsh and cut it to an EP, I'd choose:
    1. "The Sweet Part of the City"
    2. "The Weekenders"
    3. "We Can Get Together"
    4. "I Hope This Whole Thing Didn't Frighten You" (Finn, Kubler)
    5. "The Only Thing"
    6. "The Ambassador"
    7. "Oaks" (Finn, Kubler)

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  12. derekjd

Slow down, Quentin Supporter

I really dig Boys and Girls in America. Specifically the first track on there -- that more straight forward rock sound. Where should I go next in their stuff?

13. mouood

"Stay Positive" kind of continues the BAGIA sound, but "Separation Sunday" is better than both of them, imo.

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  14. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I agree that's their best song. Others to check out which are pretty straightforward include Your Little Hoodrat Friend, Sequestered in Memphis and The Weekenders.
    That said most of their work from Boys and Girls onward is reasonably structured rock. And not as lyrically dense as their earlier work. But still brilliant of course.

15. f00te

tell it like a comeback story Prestigious

I was recently thinking about the chronological order of the songs about the characters Craig writes about and i found someone already put together a decent order.

Sharing for anyone who is interested

Hold Steady Plot Chronology | The Unified Scene

Steeeve Perry and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  16. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

thats very cool

I've always enjoyed the storytelling of this band, even the weaker albums still feel important because of the story threads and world building.

17. SteveLikesMusic Aug 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 10, 2016)
    SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Franz was just livetweeting a BAGIA listen which inspired me to listen along. So fucking good.

Edit: he also told me that he has an early version of Hurricane J with his piano parts. Wish we could hear that!

18. Serh Oct 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 3, 2016)
    Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

BAGIA released 10 years ago today

19. hoodrat

Regular

10 ;-)

Downloaded BAGIA because a random user on the AP.net "Friday Recommendations" news post said it was pretty good. I had never heard of them but thought their name was pretty cool. Turned into my favorite band of all time. Thank you whoever that was!!

Serh likes this.
  20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, obvious typo. Lemme fix that

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Got a piece about that album coming tomorrow.

Serh likes this.
  22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Nice man

23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

f00te likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

25. mouood

Anyone else go to any of the Boys and Girls 10th anniversary shows? Made it down for the 4th night. So much fun. And LIFTER PULLER!!

kpatrickwood likes this.