Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Apr 10, 2016.

1. SVXDan83

Regular

Their arguably lower budget albums did their music more of a service than higher budget and access to "better" studios and producers

Sal Paradise likes this.
  2. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Somehow missed that those reissues from a couple years back were all remastered until I saw the comment on the previous page. It’s been a long time since I listened to Stay Positive, but the remastered version seems to sound a lot better. Are the others worth listening to? Can’t imagine Separation Sunday sounding any better than it already did.

3. SVXDan83

Regular

I think Almost Killed Me sounded a little better. I know its probably blasphemous to say, but I never got into AKM as much as other THS records. So, its tough for me to make a definitive statement on that one. FWIW, the "deluxe" editions on Streaming services are the remastered ones. So you can check them out there and see for yourself.

I think Stay Positive was the one that was most strikingly better. But I think it was also the one that needed it the most!

4. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

AKM is a classic record where i think it’s less good but when i listen to it it’s incredible

DaydreamNation likes this.
  5. Happy 15th birthday to Separation Sunday today!

radiodead and Importer/Exporter like this.
  6. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Ok yeah their most recent album rules. Never gave it a shot cause I haven't really liked anything since Stay Positive (other than Weekenders) but goddamn.

dadbolt likes this.
  7. radiodead May 12, 2020
    (Last edited: May 12, 2020)
    radiodead

Trusted

1. Boys & Girls in America
    2. Separation Sunday
    3. Stay Positive
    4. Almost Killed Me
    5. Thrashing Through the Passion
    6. Heaven is Whenever
    7. Teeth Dreams

The first 4 are all incredible and you could make a case for any of them being the best THS record. Thrashing Through the Passion is so good and underrated, seems like a lot of the indie world has moved on, bar rock just isn’t the thing right now unfortunately. Heaven is Whenever has quite a few gems (Most would agree “The Weekenders” is among their very best songs), and a couple clunkers. Teeth Dreams is pretty safe, it’s fine but it’s the one that washes over me.

Top 10 The Hold Steady songs

1. Stuck Between Stations
    2. Constructive Summer
    3. Stevie Nix
    4. How a Resurrection Really Feels
    5. Massive Nights
    6. Positive Jam
    7. The Weekenders
    8. Banging Camp
    9. First Night
    10. Killer Parties

Wow. What a great fucking band. That was hard. 20 would be hard! Also one of the absolute all time best Side 1 Track 1 bands.

Positive Jam, Stuck Between Stations and Constructive Summer are 3 of the greatest album opening tracks ever. And imo “Me and my friends are like/ the drums on ‘Lust for Life’” is the greatest opening lyric ever. Yes, ever.

Edit: I’ll take my own bait. 11-20

11. Girls Like Status
    12. Certain Songs
    13. Party Pit
    14. Multitude of Casualties
    15. Southtown Girls
    16. Sequestered in Memphis
    17. Slapped Actress
    18. Lord, I’m Discouraged
    19. The Sweet Part of the City
    20. Blackout Sam

Great ballad band as well! The only review I ever wrote was actually at AP.net for Boy and Girls. I wonder if it’s archived somewhere. That record meant the world to me in college.

abw123 and the rural juror like this.
  8. Importer/Exporter

Sep
    Boys & Girls
    Passion
    Killed Me
    Stay Positive
    Heaven
    Teeth Dreams

radiodead likes this.
  9. radiodead

Trusted

I might even be underrating Thrashing. Listening as I edit my post. It’s real good.

10. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I do think having several of the tracks released for up to a year in advance deflated the hype for Thrashing but that collection of songs is some of their best in years.

Confusion in the Marketplace hits harder with each passing month.

“searching for a purpose or just something we can celebrate” I mean c’mon

radiodead and Importer/Exporter like this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

avoided hearing most to all of the those tracks ahead of time for just that reason

12. Importer/Exporter

Yeah, definitely the release strategy was odd but also cool because it probably made them some more $$$ to do things how they did. Those songs ripped when I saw them this past Fall.

radiodead likes this.
  13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah that too. when i saw em in cambridge they went lights out

14. radiodead

Trusted

Still one of the best live bands. Absolute pros.

saw them on the Boys and Girls tour and there were vendors walking around the crowd with a case of bud heavy selling cans like it was a damn ball game. Amazing.

15. abw123

Trusted

New album kicks ass. Great band.

16. BackwardsWalker

Regular

I just recently got Thrashing Thru the Passion on vinyl. It sounds like shit! Super disappointing

I have liked the album since it came out, but man, this quality is embarrassing

radiodead likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

DaydreamNation likes this.
  18. I think I'm in the minority in really liking that album, and I'm super excited to hear the bonus tracks and demos with Franz.

Barcara and Importer/Exporter like this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

love hiw

20. Importer/Exporter

It’s got a few top tier THS tracks.

Barcara likes this.
  21. extremely underrated record, like it as much as stay positive some days

22. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

(My second favorite Hold Steady record.)

troyplaysbass and DaydreamNation like this.
  23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

that's funny, cause there's periodic days where i like stay positive more than separation sunday

24. cherrywaves

Trusted

I think with Franz it would be every bit as good as the three records that preceded it. I quite enjoy it though

25. Barcara

Regular

Here's a sentence I didn't expect to write today:

Gimme those liner notes