Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

One of those records I pull out every year around this time when the weather starts to warm up. Something about "Stuck Between Stations" just sounds like summer to me.

2. Hell yeah

zmtr likes this.
  3. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Teeth Dreams is bad but that’s the producer’s fault

4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Do you guys have a top 5 songs? I can’t rank them but these are unquestionably mine:

Constructive Summer
    How a Resurrection Really Feels
    Slapped Actress
    Stevie Nix
    Stuck Between Stations

radiodead likes this.
  5. Sal Paradise

Trusted

Haven’t put a ton of thought into it, but I’d have to say (in no order):

Killer Parties
    Stevie Nix
    First Night
    You Can Make Them Like You
    Magazines

There’s probably another five that I could swap in though depending on my mood

6. Stuck Between Stations
    Your Little Hoodrat Friend
    First Night
    Constructive Summer
    The Swish

8. abw123

Trusted

Slapped Actress
    Stay Positive
    How a Resurrection
    Southtown Girls
    Constructive Summer

Honorable Mention - Two Handed Handshake

9. Importer/Exporter

Stevie Nixxx
    Weekenders
    The Swish
    Slapped Actress
    Banging Camp

but almost every song of theirs is enjoyable to great.

10. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Man, only 5 is so hard. Off the top of my head:

The Swish
    Slapped Actress
    Stevie Nix
    Constructive Summer
    Stuck Between Stations

Lot of S’s haha

11. zmtr

Trusted

Their newest record is amazing

radiodead, DaydreamNation and dadbolt like this.
  12. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

zmtr likes this.
  13. Importer/Exporter

Their newest is great I’ll always wonder what it would’ve been like had they not released the majority of it ahead of time lol

14. abw123

Trusted

Franz’s return made such a huge positive impact. Cannot be understated. The joy in their songs is back with this album.

15. SVXDan83

Regular

Any love for "Oaks", though? That solo section at the end blows me away every time!

jordalsh likes this.
  16. I still kinda love Teeth Dreams. I mean I wish it didn't sound like that but a lot of these songs...man

17. SVXDan83

Regular

What was the major complaint with its sound? Honestly, from a production standpoint, Stay Positive is the worst sounding record in their catalog. Everything is insanely dull and compressed. But, like Bruce Springsteen's Magic, the songs are so good its completely worth overlooking. The 3xLP reissue / remaster fixed this quite a bit, but its still not ideal.

I never felt that way about Teeth Dreams. So, just wondering what people didn't like about it?

18. to me it sounds like it was recorded in a train tunnel and then polished to hell. everything is simultaneously like so clean sounding and also so far away it all kind of melds together. it's got a kind of radio rock sound I don't think works at all with the songs

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

I don't like how Craig's vocals are mixed on Teeth Dreams. Even the new stuff sounds a bit "off" from a production/mixing standpoint.

20. SVXDan83

Regular

I'm probably due to revisit their whole catalog. I'll have to pay attention to it. It didn't stick out to me on this album, but I agree with @cherrywaves that things sound "off" on the newer stuff... and his solo stuff to a lesser extent.

I think it is all probably an artifact of trying to take a great live band and capture / reproduce that live bar-band feel in the studio. It seems that regardless of the budget, it never works the way it is intended. (Bruce Springsteen's The River, for example... great record, but everything just sounds thin.) And its probably why Stay Positive sounds so loud and flat and other later records sound "off".

21. I like all the songs on Stay Positive but I have never really felt like it holds together particularly well as an album

22. SVXDan83

Regular

I think one or two songs could have been left off, the track listing ordered slightly differently and Ask Her For Adderall absolutely should have been included! They play it at like every show! How did that not make the record but a song like, Navy Sheets for example, did!?

23. cherrywaves

Trusted

"Ask Her for Adderall" is one of their best songs. I've never been a particularly big fan of "One for the Cutters"

24. SVXDan83

Regular

One For The Cutters is super-strange. It definitely doesn't belong so early on the album, if at all.

cherrywaves likes this.
  25. BackwardsWalker

Regular

this is how I feel about the production on “heaven is whenever”. Some really good songs in there I just don’t like the way it sounds so rarely revisit it