Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy (February 19, 2021) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Really digging this so far. I never really clicked with Thrashing, though I should probably give it another chance. This album kind of strikes me as what Heaven and Teeth Dreams (both albums that I really actually love, despite their general reputation) could have been with Franz still in the band and better production.

Steeeve Perry and kpatrickwood like this.
    DaydreamNation and kpatrickwood like this.
  3. Hanover Camera is a great closing track!

Craig discusses Parade Days and its inclusion as a bonus track in my Apple Music TBT

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  4. Jim

Trusted Supporter

weird, none of my go to stores got this in today. I cant find the indie variant online in stock any where either.

5. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Nice work- this was a fun read. I was wondering about the whole Me & Magdalena thing- it's wild how something can burrow into your subconscious like that and pop up unexpectedly at random. Now there's two great songs called Me & Magdalena ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

6. radiodead

Trusted

“Blackout Sam” and “Confusion in the Marketplace” are the ones from that record for me. Total classics

kpatrickwood likes this.
  7. it sold out quickly - only 500 made

8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'll echo everyone else praising Unpleasant Breakfast, might be my early favorite off of this.

9. I might have two copies of the indie variant showing up within the week so if anyone wants one for cost lemme know

10. abw123

Trusted

agree but also add Entitlement Crew

11. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I think the snowstorms delayed just about all
    packages for at least a day or two , my local shop said as much anyway

12. SteadyGlen

XXXX

My local store had their supply cut quite bad (they found out just this week) and aren't expecting any in at all for another few weeks - I was lucky and found a store in Edinburgh that had the indie exclusive copy.

13. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This rips. Lanyards and Me and Magdalena are my favorites after a few listens. A lot of this feels like amped-up arrangements of Finn’s solo stuff, which is not a complaint at all.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  14. BackwardsWalker

Regular

I find The Prior Procedure to be fairly bland but the rest of the album is great. Tracks 3-6 is an A+ run of songs too.

15. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

They’re all good, Prior Procedure is kinda a paint-by-numbers THS track but i do like it

16. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

obsessed with this album

Jim likes this.
  17. faccavitti3

Leading Man

I expected to love it, and I do. Someone I met at their Philadelphia shows in 2018 mentioned on twitter that The Feelers has a reference to someone being another man's wife, and it is one of few, if not the only, mention of marriage in THS discography.

I'm sure that'll be in the notes when the good folks at clicksandhisses.com catch up to the new record.

18. Jim

Trusted Supporter

This is so good

19. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I went ice skating last night and did BAGIA and Thrashing with my AirPods, was a A+ experience

20. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Really liking this so far. Not as sold on Lanyards as everyone else seems to be. The guitars lack punch in that track no? Or is that the point I'm missing?

21. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Also, is pitchfork just not going to review this?

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

kpatrickwood likes this.
  23. abw123

Trusted

I'm not ready to give full thoughts on the album yet, other than:

1) First 2-3 songs definitely have that CFinn solo album feel (which I do NOT prefer), before the rest of it feels more like THS to me

2) Unpleasant Breakfast is a cool little song but MAN do I hate those "whoo" backup vocals..........anyone else with me?

3) Love the horns on this.

24. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Love solo CF so i think the synthesis works. Love the “whooos” and love the horns.

BackwardsWalker likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The woos rock