Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy (February 19, 2021) • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Dec 1, 2020.

1. SteadyGlen

XXXX

Me too. This song is surely about an older Holly.

2. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

It'll be interesting to see if they ever go back to a more traditional touring structure given the sort of rebirth they've experienced over the last couple of years. I think their current model is great too, but I'd probably feel differently if I didn't live in one of the cities they still hit semi-frequently.

3. Jim

Trusted Supporter

im going to buy the shit out of this record friday

radiodead likes this.
  4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

same, if I can...I asked my local store if they’ll have it and they said they are concerned about snow-related delivery delays haha

5. Sal Paradise

Trusted

oh shit, I somehow didn’t make that connection!

SteadyGlen likes this.
  6. Their best record in more than a decade. Probably getting 2021 Weekender tickets soon!

7. radiodead

Trusted

I wish they would do a tour. I’m sure they probably have day jobs as welll though, but that’s my guess. Might be more financially viable for them to just do the 3-4 night stands a couple times a year.

8. BackwardsWalker

Regular

kpatrickwood and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  9. Magic Rat

Hmm, only had one listen but it reminds me of Craig's solo stuff. Which is fine, just not really hearing all this classic hold steady talk. But I haven't fully taken in the lyrics yet and that could change things a bit.

10. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Goddamn this is incredible. It’s like a perfect synthesis of solo Craig and Stay Positive.

kpatrickwood and Jim like this.
  11. Importer/Exporter

So many ideas that they would have tried but failed at in previous iterations of the band, which they stick the landing on here.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

5C7C0347-4F0D-4D19-AAD9-44B72A1DB7E7.jpeg

13. SteadyGlen

XXXX

A couple listens through now and I can dig it!

There's definitely a few songs on here that could fit into Craigs solo catalogue easily for sure. I think the closest comparison for me is TTTP (probs coz lineup), but this is pretty unique compared to anything else previous - lots of little stylistic surprises with some real nice unexpected details. Getting Spoon vibes in Unpleasant Breakfast and the second verse of Me & Magdalena reminds me of Wolf Parade a lot. Prior Procedure is my fave other than the singles so far.

Seems like there's lots to unpack, excited to go pick up my copy today!

14. radiodead

Trusted

Starting this now. I still just love how “Spices” just flips a switch halfway through. Great tune.

15. radiodead

Trusted

Leo You Have My Attention Gif

SteadyGlen likes this.
  16. radiodead Feb 19, 2021
    (Last edited: Feb 19, 2021)
    radiodead

Trusted

“Lanyards” makes me miss live music.

“Unpleasant Breakfast” is unlike anything I’ve heard them do. It workkkkkkks.

right into “Heavy Covenant”, just an amazing run of songs right.

I mean unless this thing nosedives this is NO QUESTION better than Stay Positive. What a first 6 songs. Back half let’s go.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  17. radiodead

Trusted

Pretty big Elvis Costello vibes on “Hanover Camera”

what a great album. Can’t believe they’ve come back like this (TTTP is great, but never quite felt like an ALBUM)

“Parade Days” is sooo good too. I’d just drop that Bonus Track designator. It’s honestly one of my favorite things here.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  18. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Love waking up on new Hold Steady day.

SO. MUCH. JOY.

19. Staypositive83

Regular Supporter

Three songs in and I am already so into it. Glad I didn’t listen to the singles.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  20. eagles1139

Regular

Unpleasant Breakfast wtf this is awesome

21. Importer/Exporter

That track blew me away when i first heard it.

22. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Really liked it the first time through. Like they said, it's more of an album than the last one.

23. Loving this so far. Most of the lyrics aren't up on Genius yet, but this line in "Me and Magdalena" jumped out at me: “At dawn she said, ‘I’m free’ under yesterday’s marquee. He blew a kiss and got back on the bus.” That's a great image.

24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

The album is so great but I feel like it really goes out with a couple duds (including parade days). A stronger closing track and it would really be a 10/10.

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Absolutely in love with unpleasant breakfast

kpatrickwood likes this.