Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady - Open Door Policy (February 19, 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by kpatrickwood, Dec 1, 2020.

1. kpatrickwood Dec 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 19, 2021)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

New album Open Door Policy out Feb 19, 2021.

The songs on Open Door Policy are about power, wealth, & mental health. They're about technology, occupation, consumerism, freedom, fandom and escape. And although the album was written and recorded in 2019, the themes of this record seem to be underscored and highlighted by this year of virus and quarantine.

Available Now.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 8.52.05 AM.png

1. The Feelers
    2. Spices
    3. Lanyards
    4. Family Farm
    5. Unpleasant Breakfast
    6. Heavy Covenant
    7. The Prior Procedure
    8. Riptown
    9. Me & Magdalena
    10. Hanover Camera
    11. Parade Days (Bonus Track)

2. Always here for new Hold Steady.

3. oh cool

DaydreamNation likes this.
  4. Definitely a Hold Steady tune! And a ripper at that!

kpatrickwood likes this.
  5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Hell yes ! The last one was great.

6. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

I’m also ready for the livestream show Thursday I think

7. Getting some Stay Positive vibes here, can't really tell you why though. The PR description of the record has me pretty amped too. I liked the last record a lot but maybe not as much as some other folks on here. It's a fun, straightforward record but I don't think it rates among their best.

Excited to have an album coming that is less a collection of singles and also from the sound of "Family Farm" maybe has a bit more gloss to it.

8. radiodead

Trusted

Oh my......that’s a tune.

Trashing Thru the Passion was great and so under appreciated. This single sounds HUGE. Like as big as they’ve sounded since “Constructive Summer”, they sound rejuvenated

9. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Agreed. Thrashing was great, but I think the fact that it was only half new songs muted the hype around it a little bit.

But yeah holy shit- they knocked this song out of the park. I'm a total sucker for a loud Franz back up vocal. Also really psyched to hear Craig talk about them making sure this record is more of a cohesive effort than just a collection of songs as well. That plus the sound and lyrical content definitely steer the ship into Stay Positive territory.

10. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Never really came around on the last one, but I'm always game for new Hold Steady.

11. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

do not love the font on the cover

love the single

12. I keep reading it as "THIS OOPS"

13. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Hell yeah

14. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

This is awesome. Probably my favourite song they have done since Oaks.

15. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Holy shit how did I miss this yesterday?!? Thought Thrashing was a return to form so I’m incredibly psyched for this

16. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

the cover art is bad which makes it feel like a throwback to their best records where the cover art is also bad

17. radiodead

Trusted

Great bad cover art band. Like I don’t think they have a single album with good cover art. Stay Positive deluxe edition is probably their best? But emotionally I’m partial to BAGIA because the promo pics with confetti were just perfect.

18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I like the separation Sunday cover

19. all their old records have very great art, an opinion I formed as a teenager and have no desire to alter now

20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Ready for this one.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

radiodead and kpatrickwood like this.
  22. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

23. Anyone watch the show last night? Probably gonna do either tonight's or more likely tomorrow's and I'm curious how it went

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum