Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Highwomen - The Highwomen (September 6, 2019) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 13, 2019.

1. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

huh, seems like this whole album is amazing

Brother Beck likes this.
  2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

both maren morris tracks are better than anything on girl it's weird

3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

also i was thinking about how gorgeous this record sounds, and turns out it was done by dave cobb, who produced ashley monroe's sparrow

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

(And just about every other country/Americana/roots record from the past five years.)

5. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

lol i was like "should i also mention every jason isbell record" but i hadn't even scratched the surface. he did the guitar song! i didn't know! another amazing-sounding record

6. Excited to check this out, but I've heard "Reinventing" a few times and really really didn't like it unfortunately

7. Craig Manning

Ha, the Isbell records, the Shires records, the Stapleton records, the Lori McKenna records, the first two Sturgill records, the Colter Wall records, the last Brandi Carlile record...a bunch of other great albums. Dude has had maybe the busiest decade of anyone in the music industry.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I've listened to this a bunch more times and I think I was underselling it when I said it was really, really good. This is a phenomenal album.

ChaseTx and unbornwhiskey like this.
  9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

yep!!!!

Brother Beck likes this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Don't forget Wheeler Walker Jr. :crylaugh:

unbornwhiskey and Craig Manning like this.
  11. Craig Manning

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Ian Noe, Chris Shiflett, Brett Dennen, Houndmouth, Lake Street Dive, Anderson East

Craig Manning likes this.
  13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

My daughter is 3 1/2 and my dad is still alive, and Amanda Shires singing "you've always been your daddy's girl, nothing's gonna change that now" on Cocktail And A Song' hit me like a punch in the gut on my first listen. Had me full on teared up immediately and I was driving down the road.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

this album is definitely better than what they led with

15. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Just went and bought Maren Morris' album Girl and Natalie Hemby's Puxico.

16. Craig Manning

Puxico is one of my favorite records from the past few years. A unique kind of magic to that one, imo. Sounds like youthful summertime.

17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I just listened to it for the first time yesterday and really liked it

Craig Manning likes this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Puxico is a super underappreciated record

19. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah this is really good, although I don't care for Redesigning Women and Don't Call Me.

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Don't Call Me is really fun. I don't hate Redesigning Women and the Highwaymen cover/sequel is alright, but if those two weren't on it this would be great all the way through

Which is funny because this is going to probably end up in my top five, maybe even AOTY, but I feel like when I recommend it I need to tell people to skip the first two tracks

21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I love the Highwaymen sequel / opener. And Redesigning Women gets stuck in my head. I find myself singing it all the time. I didn't really care for it when it was realeased, but it has grown on me.

22. Craig Manning

I think the opener is really great. I didn't listen to that one until the album came out. I think it underlines the themes of the album in an effective way, and the Yola feature is great. "Redesigning Women" I like fine, I just think one person (Natalie) should be singing it instead of the whole group. It sounds hokier to have them all on it for some reason.

23. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I think the album is great but "Redesigning Women" is my least favorite but its in my head constantly.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Amanda and Natalie did If She Ever Leaves Me and Redesigning Women at the Brandi show tonight and Mavis sang the title track with them

25. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

“If She Ever Leaves Me” deserves to be a country canon song.

@@ron likes this.