Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Highwomen - The Highwomen (September 6, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CAC3

Dog

Give me all the Brandi Carlile.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

3. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I get it, but at the same time there are a ton of supergroup albums that I've really loved in the past decade or so. Middle Brother, fun. if you count them, Glorietta, boygenius, Fiction Family, Monsters of Folk etc.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. irthesteve

The article has a lot of strong points, there are obviously groups that rise above, but overall I think the idea holds ground

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

6. shea

RIP Supporter

Best one yet. Is that Yola on the third verse?

Matthewconte likes this.
  7. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

Yes

shea likes this.
  8. irthesteve

Definitely the best one yet, still kinda cornball but not bad

9. shea

RIP Supporter

this is pretty cool

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Matthewconte likes this.
  11. shea

RIP Supporter

Cocktail and a Song, goddamn..
    :verysad:

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

On first listen, "Loose Change" was my favorite on this.

If I have an issue with it, it's that there's not a super even split on who gets lead vocals from track to track. I heard a lot of Carlile and a lot of Morris. I wanted more of the other two, especially Hemby.

13. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm about halfway through but I've been really digging it since "Loose Change". So far favorites are probably "My Name Can't Be Mama" and "If She Ever Leaves Me"

14. ChaseTx

Yeah I love this

15. Craig Manning

I think each member gets one near-perfect song on this. Maren on “Loose Change,” Brandi on “If She Ever Leaves Me,” Natalie on “My Only Child,” and Amanda on “Cocktail and a Song.” “Old Soul” was wonderful too.

16. ChaseTx

Oh I didn't realize Shires and Isbell wrote "If She Ever Leaves Me"

17. Craig Manning

I was looking forward to that one specifically because I knew they wrote it, but even with that knowledge, it really blew me away.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and ChaseTx like this.
  18. shea

RIP Supporter

The first time they played it live she and Isbell told a funny story about writing it and showing it to Brandi. I’ll see if I can find the video.

Edit:

ChaseTx likes this.
  19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"if she ever leaves me" is phenomenal

god bless amanda shires

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

1-800 go to hell

21. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Ok I didn’t love the singles, but I can dig most of this. My least favorite parts are when they’re all singing in unison, but other than that, I’m pretty into this. I’ve never listened to any of them really besides Brandi, so this is a cool introduction.

22. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

This is really, really good. I love the classic country sound. Lead single was slightly underwhelming, but there are some serious GEMS on this album. The last two songs are fucking instant classics for me. "Cocktail And A Song" in particular just struck me immediately as having this classic vintage feel and sound - I swear it could have been coming out of my grandfather's beat up old taped-together staticky radio while I played in the backyard as a little kid.

ChaseTx likes this.
  23. Craig Manning

Very highly recommend Hero (Maren Morris), Puxico (Natalie Hemby), and To the Sunset (Amanda Shires).

unbornwhiskey and irthesteve like this.
  24. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

agreed. the singles were weird choices but this is pretty great

25. Tomar Re

Regular

I’m loving this. Thought the singles were great too. The opening song making a sequel to the song “Highwayman” could have been pretty corny but I thought it turned out great