Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Oct 9, 2018.

1. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

i havent finished the show so im not peaking but that is hands down the largest wall of spoiler text ive ever seen in my life

Raku and Matt Metzler like this.
  2. zigbigwig

Everything in this page is redacted!!!!

Raku, chewbacca110 and Matt Metzler like this.
  3. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

I'm so sorry, I have strong feelings that must be shared! :crylaugh:

zigbigwig likes this.
  4. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

To tack on to this. One of the major themes all through out the show is how trauma/addiction/etc. affects not only you but the people around you. So the fact that the show essentially ends with all 4 of the kids getting to work through their individual problems perfectly and getting a happy ending felt incredible disingenuous. So much time is spent showing the emotional scars events such as suicide can leave on people , then backs away at the very end with a cliched "but it all works out :heart:".

The show also has two conflicting messages in the end where its trying to show how telling the truth will make everything better while also trying to show the comfort that lies can have. It just felt that the writer didnt really know what they wanted the overall message of the show to be.

Matt Metzler likes this.
  5. I'm 5 episodes in and enjoying it quite a bit. I'm having fun finding all the hidden background ghosts.

Raku and jkauf like this.
  6. Syre Dream

Regular

Episode 5 was fantastic holy shit

7. SteveLikesMusic Oct 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 15, 2018)
    SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Episode 4 is so damn sad.

Edit: and so is episode 5! Would ya just look at that!

chewbacca110, Raku and teebs41 like this.
  8. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

#screamingmeemies

9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Raku and Matt Metzler like this.
  10. SteveLikesMusic

The girl who plays Nell (adult) looks sooooooooo familiar but apparently she hasn’t been in anything so wtf

Raku likes this.
  11. SteveLikesMusic

The lack of music in much of this show is a bold and effective choice. So much Horror relies on the score to tell you when to be scared. Even great stuff like Halloween.

Raku, OotyPa and teebs41 like this.
  12. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

She reminds me of Liv Tyler

13. Matt

Hoooo boy episode five just gave me full body chills

Raku likes this.
  14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

holy damn i was about to praise the hell out of this show after episode...lets say 7.... but wow oh wow what a lame ending to the show. Once the 'scares' dwindled, and it became a lame 7th heaven-esque show, it lost me. And the ending...woof. I mean, it's a nice ending, but now what i expected/wanted. Such a shame because i loved the first 75% of this show, but the ending was way way way way way way too soft.

Vivatoto, zigbigwig and matthaber like this.
  15. zigbigwig Oct 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 16, 2018)
    zigbigwig

Yeah, lost me at the last 3 episodes. My thoughts as well. I love the first 6 or so episodes, but that was too much of a clean ending for me. I dislike how much they hyped the evil nature of the house, you'd think they would raise the stakes when they finally got there but aside from Stevie being peeked at by tall man nothing exciting happened and we only got a family reunion. I feel so bad for Nell.

Haunting of Hill House almost had much darker ending

I feel like this would've been a cooler ending. I appreciate what they tried to do and the message they want to send, but it just fell flat and unearned to me.

Vivatoto and marissalg like this.
  16. domotime2 Oct 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 16, 2018)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

i totally agree about the stakes part. I thought the moment the dad got "freaked out" so much that the kids were woken up and he told the older brother not to look....that scene we were anticipating the entire season... i was expecting it to be epic and scary as fuck but it was nothing. At least in terms of scares. Sure the reveal of what the mom tried to do was good, but i was thinking there would be a humongous ghost scare fest that got the father to finally go nuts and run out the house.

and THAT ending is bleak? haha i must have a darker mind then. That alternate ending is much much much better though.

17. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

yeah the ending was very cliche and honestly, that cake scene lol

18. Oh wow I absolutely loved the direction style of Ep 6.

Raku likes this.
  19. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Like, I understand wanting to show an experience of peace or harmony or whatever in today’s climate, but that’s not really how good storytelling works. You don’t set out to tell a gruesome horror story and change your mind about how it all ends at the last second because you feel like the world needs more peace and harmony in it.

Vivatoto, zigbigwig and BirdPerson like this.
  20. Matt

Episode 6 episode of the year

Raku and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I wanna start this. Are the jump scares horrible throughout?

Raku likes this.
  22. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

yes but there are plenty of real scares with actual tension, too

Raku and OhTheWater like this.
  23. Matt

Oh fuck they just mentioned Amherst being on the way to the house. That’s like just north of me...

The house is near me!!

However they pronounced the “h” in Amherst so it took me out of the show lol

Raku and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  24. lostawholeyear

Regular Prestigious

I really hope episode 5 gets an emmy nom

Raku likes this.
  25. Matt

Episode 8

that jump scare in the car fucking got me and I never jump at shows or movies anymore. super intense moment

Raku, supernovagirl, jkauf and 5 others like this.