Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I think it was intentional to raise the brutality against her as the story progresses to the point of the ending, her covered in blood and brain matter, being very difficult to watch; however, I think the early abuse was timed so as to be the punchline to certain jokes. I believe it was intentional to create that discomfort, I just don't know how well it payed off

2. Davjs

Trusted

3. Morrissey

Trusted

It isn't like Tarantino has been unable to show deference to cultures and ideas outside of his own. Jackie Brown is one of the best roles anyone has ever given to a middle-aged black woman, and he allows her to win despite everyone counting her out because of those three things. Kill Bill is honorific of Japanese culture for the most part without being too cartoonish, except as an homage. Inglourious Basterds is a great film about Jewish revenge that completely ignores any of the stereotypes, so when he goes into these films with trickier racial politics, it is noticeable.

imthesheriff and Davjs like this.
  4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

kyle likes this.
  5. airik625

Exactly what I was thinking ha.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hype as hell for that. Wish the Rob Zombie/Bret Easton Ellis project happened tho

7. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. airik625

Davjs and Turkeylegz like this.
  10. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

So I finally saw this, I actually really enjoyed it? Way more than I was expecting to, I could still do without some of the less pleasant aspects of Tarantino's work (Like violence against Daisy being played for laughs), but this is the most I've enjoyed his work in a long, long while.

11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I said this somewhere else in the thread, but I generally do think this holds up. Yeah the Samuel flashback scene(you know which one), and the violence against Daisy are very unsettling. Though a lot of the mood/atmosphere that is created with the remote setting is great. I really like the scene in the beginning with Lincoln’s letter.

12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Where’s Django I can’t really watch anymore. After Candy dies I lose interest.

13. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

I kind of liked the flashback scene, it's grotesque and incredibly fucked up of course, but given he was trying to antagonize the confederate general dude who knows how much of it was actually true (much like the letter).

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

15. airik625

Oh wow. Need to check that out.

16. Davjs

Trusted

Had no idea this was a thing. So great!

17. Davjs likes this.
  18. dash64

This is my design

Really hope all of the editions get a physical release at some point.

coleslawed and Davjs like this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed and Cameron like this.
  20. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

It's basically a spicy version of The Breakfast Club tbh