Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino, 2015) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I haven't heard anything. Wasn't there rumors about him being done or something at one point? Maybe that didn't happen.

2. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

He's said multiple times in the past that he was only going to make 10 movies and then be done. He reiterated that a few months ago so that may be what you're referring to. We've still got 2 more from him if he sticks to that promise.

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hoping he moves away from the Western genre. I loved Django and this (even Kill Bill Vol 2 can fall into the spaghetti western category), but I have less a desire to rewatch those 2 than the rest of his filmography (excluding Death Proof).

3. Davjs

Trusted

This is playing on Showtime now (or some movie channel) and caught it again and I think it held up pretty well despite it's length. It's all classic Tarantino, surprised this didn't get the love his other films get.

I agree though that I'd love to see him move away from Westerns, but I'll see whatever he does.

domotime2 and coleslawed like this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is probably his worst film

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. Morrissey

Trusted

The problem for Tarantino is that his racial politics have not gotten any better since the early 90's (why did he need to be in a small role using racial slurs at the end of the movie?). That long interlude between Jackson and the Confederate General is just weird, and it has nothing to do with the main story of the lawmen versus the gang.

CarpetElf and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I actually re watched this recently, and enjoyed it a lot more. Though this, and Django are my least fav Tarantino pictures.

7. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Haven't seen this since the theater. I remember liking it but feeling like he didn't bring anything new to the table.

Davjs likes this.
  8. Dodge725

Trusted

I really enjoyed this, but I think it would have been better as a stage play. I also wish there was more of a mystery element that the audience could actually have guessed/been a part of instead of presenting it like that showing a few clues and then making it something impossible to figure out.

domotime2 and Davjs like this.
  9. Davjs

Trusted

Not that its a slam on this movie at all, but yeah its not a top tier film from him. That's just because his movies are so good.

I mean, you're not wrong that its not part of the main story but it was cool, funny and was a character moment for our main that added background/context/development to him. Isn't almost every movie filled with scenes like that to flesh the characters out?

I think you are right, and maybe why people who loved Django weren't as high on this.

10. I've caught this 2 or 3 times since it's been on Showtime and I still really like it. It's not one of his best, but it's not a bad movie by any stretch.

domotime2 and Davjs like this.
  11. RonandTammy

Regular

My only complaint is that this is his third movie in a row not taking place in present times. His best movies are when he's in the gangster realm, present time.

That said, I loved Hateful Eight. I've seen it three times and I've liked it better with each viewing. Maybe it's me, but I love the long stretches of dialogue and especially the Mannix character. Goggins choice to use slight flamboyancy in his performance just worked, for whatever reason.

If I had to complain about the movie itself, I'd say I wish it took place in a secluded town, rather than just one single building.

I do agree though, the racism in every flick is getting a bit tiresome.

Davjs likes this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

I agree. I know the racism is realistic per the time his last two movies took place, but I want him to get out of this time period so its no longer a reason/excuse to use it.

13. RonandTammy

Regular

But it existed in Pulp Fiction as well, and he was the one with the most racist dialogue in the entire flick! haha. I don't know, he isn't racist, obviously, but he tends to like using slurs and creating situations with racist characters.

14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This is a movie about racism and hate. That's why there's racism in it.

I've been a defender of the film for awhile but I need to give it another watch. It does have issues.

15. RonandTammy

Regular

Well it's a movie about a high-value bounty transferred during a blizzard, in Wyoming. The cast of characters could have included literally anyone. Like maybe some of the Native Americans that took part in a war in Wyoming just after the Civil War. As far as I remember, there was no mention of Native Americans, right?

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tarantino addressing race in such a clumsy way is what's tiresome. As Tetra said, he shows up in Django and PF for like 2 meaningless minutes to spot offensive shit. It's just weird, and I think the last two films are showing even more cracks in terms of how tone deaf he is to writing about race. They simply weren't very thought provoking films. He's not saying anything. Entertaining, sure

Joe4th likes this.
  17. Nathan

The bounty stuff is what the movie is about on a plot level. Thematically, it's about racism, sexism, bigotry, and hate. It's in the title. Samuel L. Jackson's character could not have been played by anyone. The Lincoln letter/his speeches to the Confederate members of the eight/the way literally every other character treats him come from race.

18. Nathan

All fair critiques except I'd argue he's absolutely saying something. Or at least trying to. I think I argued this earlier in the thread, but the only time the white men and Samuel L. Jackson get along is when it's to hate on Jennifer Jason Leigh, a woman. Everyone in this movie dies, largely because of their racism/sexism. Even when Sam Jackson and Walter Goggins hang Jennifer Jason Leigh, and are actually getting along, their victory rings hollow because they're literally dying. Calling the movie clumsy as a whole, sure. Not thinking it lands/Tarantino has very obtrusive issues when he tackles race, absolutely. I feel that in this and Django, even if I give Hateful Eight more credit than most.

The repeatedly casting himself as characters who use the n-word is a distracting pattern. In Django and this I think it can be read into, often when a director casts themselves it adds a meta layer that adds to the thematic message, particularly in terms of accountability, it's often them accepting their role in whatever they're talking about. Racism permeates everything, Tarantino casting himself as the dumbest, most cartoonishly racist characters could be read as an acknowledgement that it's in him, too. Or maybe he just likes to say the n-word onscreen. Either way, I think that reading of the authorial voice as the most stumbling/racist exists, though that doesn't excuse or take away the weirdness of the pattern over his career.

coleslawed likes this.
  19. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This is basically what I was trying to say but I'm dumb.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Saying anything new* I suppose. To view the film as watching the destruction of hateful men due to their ignorance, racism and misogyny is an interesting take. I just think he has too much fun with the themes, if that makes sense. My theater laughed far too hard at the abuse of JJL, which caught me off guard, but Tarantino definitely meant for some of it to create laughs. Like, no one was sitting there in the theater being like "oh man these men destroyed themselves due to racism! Makes ya think!"
    He just has a weird history of culture jocking and being unapologetic when people of color call him out on being uncomfortable with his comfortability using the n-word.

Nathan likes this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And that's to say nothing of it being overlong, convoluted and not really having a decent payoff for my liking. I felt like the Tim Roth, Madsen and "Bob" characters were absolutely meaningless to the entire story. I don't remember a distinct character trait from any of them. Bob was Mexican, or something? I feel like that was a punchline. Goggins shined and I appreciate Tarantino to give him a bigger platform than Justified, but overall this was a miss IMO.

22. RonandTammy

Regular

At least Tim Roth had some meaningful dialogue with people. Poor old Madsen was just kind of there. He poisoned the coffee, so what, he was just background fodder for 99% of the movie.

I really wish Russell would have toned down the John Wayne act just a little bit. His performance in Bone Tomahawk was far better than this.

23. Davjs

Trusted

I know its not a new thing. That's why I want to see him move away from it. You're right, I wouldn't think he's racist. He's even marched with black lives matter and all actors seem to love him.

Yeah but he had the coolest death in the movie. Maybe he just wanted to be the dude who got blown up and those 3 characters would naturally talk that way?

Well said sir.

24. Nathan

I'm not totally convinced he was entirely playing the violence against JJL for laughs, though much of my theater laughed at it as well. Or I think if it was played for comedy initially, the further the film goes the higher the stakes/the more humanized JJL's character was, until her hanging was shot pretty brutally. I don't think anyone in my theater laughed at that. I think he was aware how a lot of people would react. And even if people laugh, I wouldn't want an artist to dumb their work down because it'll be read the wrong way by people.

He's absolutely deserving of heavy critique for his handling of race, even when he appears to be coming from a well-intentioned place. Seeing him onscreen saying the n-word, even if it's supposed to be purposefully uncomfortable, isn't necessary anymore.

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

lol I guess, bit of a stretch