Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hate U Give (George Tillman, Jr., October 19, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 24, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

The novel was great - heartbreaking/heartwarming and powerful all the way through .

Can't wait for this one.

Garrett L. likes this.
  3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Retweet the above post.

4. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow, gonna check this out

5. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I've heard amazing things about hte book and have meant to read it. amazing and impressed that it became a movie so fast

6. Garrett

I want to say the movie went into production before the book even hit shelves

7. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

whoa really

8. Garrett

Yeah. They *knew* it would be a surefire hit in print and movie. Her agent also reps the author of the Love, Simon book. He’s on fire right now.

supernovagirl likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

supernovagirl and Garrett L. like this.
  10. StevenW92

Regular

Cineworld did a secret unlimited screening tonight and it was this. I was initially desperately disappointed that we weren’t seeing Halloween but once this got going it was very good. Very tense and emotional throughout, with some lighter moments mainly revolving around Starrs boyfriend meeting her family. I was very impressed with performance of Anthony Mackie and Russell Hornsby in particular. Stenberg is wonderful and her performance is a real tear jerker at times.

This is a film I was half interested in seeing so I’m glad this ended up being the secret screening. Interesting to see Love, Simon mentioned above as that has previously been a secret screening as well.

Serh likes this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, this was very good. A couple of things seemed a little on-the-nose at times, but that probably won't bother the teenage viewers. The one scene I knew was coming because I saw the trailer still got me, for one. And Amandla Stenberg... Jesus. I'm looking for what's ahead

12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This was quite good. I agree that some of if felt a little off or "made for Tv-ish" but this movie still had me tearing up multiple times. And as said before, Stenberg was on fire.

13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Damn, this was wonderful. Really lived up to the book, for me. Great performances from top to bottom.

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Amandla was great
    the movie did a great job showing Starr's life and how it impacted her experience, all the scenes with her family were great
    I thought keeping it timely generally worked even though it took me out a bit when a Tumblr post was a huge dramatic element
    Common in a police uniform was jarring and I wish they did more with his character, I would have loved to have seen the conversations between him and his Black Panther framed Malcolm X picture brother in law at Thanksgiving
    Archiekins was distracting especially when he was talking about burgers and milkshakes, at least Issa didn't distract me and I thought she did a great job

15. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was a heavy one for sure, but really well done. I agree at times it felt a little lifetime movie-ish, but never enough to take away from the story. I was pretty emotionally exhausted by the end of it. Very good movie.

Serh likes this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think my favorite scene was him and Starr's conversation about what he would do when pulling over a white person. The close-up shots of Common's face added so much tension and you can really see the moment he realizes how messed up what he saying is.

17. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

This is my favorite movie of 2018 so far.

aoftbsten likes this.
  18. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

One of my favorite movies of the year. I would love to check out the book.

19. ALT/MSC/FAN

Go check out the screenwriter’s credits, it’s super funny. She also wrote George of the Jungle (1997), A Dog’s Purpose, and The Game Plan.

20. Garrett

Amandla is incredible.

21. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Finally watched it tonight. Such a solid adaptation of the novel and Amandla gives a stellar performance.

Craig Manning likes this.
  22. ALT/MSC/FAN

I'm honestly shocked this basically getting ignored this awards season.

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Can't say I'm too shocked, this is a great film but nothing here screams Oscars. Though I definitely wish a film like this or especially Blindspotting took the place of shit like Green Book

johnnyferris likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I thought Russell Hornsby should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor nod.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  25. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Caught this on HBO. Amandla was so powerful.