Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hardcore Thread Genre • Page 369

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DarkHotline, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Chicago straight edge

2. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Members of Blood Sermon and Speedway. FFO Ekulu, Cro Mags, Merauder, Integrity

williek311, riotspray and ghostxvapor like this.
  3. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

"A mythical conquest in sonic excess brought to form by Scheme, featuring 12 exclusive joints from 7 REAL hardcore bands."

REAL hardcore bands homies.

Jokes aside, this is good.

4. cherrywaves

Trusted

Burning Lord and Echo Chamber are sick

riotspray and swboyd like this.
  5. swboyd

If anyone has a lead on where I can get a copy of either Burning Lord demo on tape, please let me know and thank you.

6. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Yoooo

Contender, swboyd and OneWing like this.
  7. swboyd

Really need to give the Scarab demo a good listen because the one preview track I saw was promising. I can always get down with crusty metallic hardcore.

Meghin and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

NJHC

9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

cherrywaves likes this.
  10. cherrywaves

Trusted

Scarab demo rules, love the blasty parts

also idk if someone posted that Grimoire demo but it’s cool shit in the vein of Iron Age

swboyd, riotspray and ghostxvapor like this.
  11. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

12. swboyd

Kind of a boomer ass take tbh. Hardcore is definitely a cool ass experience in a live environment, but there are certain people who don't have the same ability to experience it live whether it be because of disability, finances, life circumstances, or location. I consider myself a pretty big fan of hardcore, but I can't make it to shows often if at all because of money and two young kids at the moment. If that doesn't make me hardcore anymore, then so be it. Lol.

13. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It is kind of a meta take. Going to shows is the obvious answer but supporting labels, buying merch and repping bands through social media, etc is just as important.

Anthony_Soprano and ghostxvapor like this.
  14. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Like I’m semi-retired from shows, I don’t like dealing with crowds and I get crazy anxious at them so I don’t go unless it’s worth going to. Plus, like @swboyd said, I got a kid and other priorities so that also ties into. Also, tons of hardcore tours skip STL all the time so it’s also not for lack of trying

swboyd and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  15. cherrywaves

Trusted

I mean playing live is the lifesblood of hardcore and punk so I kinda get it. I also think he seems like a reasonable guy so obviously if you live in west bumfuck six hours away it’s not gonna be held against you.

16. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

School of Rock said it best. You’re not hardcore unless you live hardcore and the legend of the tent was way hardcore. At that Sunami show ace asked if this was people’s first show and there were a lot of yeahs/woos. It was definitely a very younger leaning crowd. And people traveling up from the beach/Raleigh

17. Weird LiBrary

Regular

18. Weird LiBrary

Regular

williek311 likes this.
  19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

20. Meghin

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Supporter

My brother was at the Sunami show (and I had a LOT of fomo) and he alluded to it being a different sort of scene than he's used to seeing in RVA. I think both he and Ace said that there were 600 people at the Warehouse? That's wild to me.

21. swboyd

got this 7" in the mail last week finally. so damn good.

22. swboyd

Thank you for mentioning the Grimoire demo and the FFO Iron Age rec, because this is the past demo I've heard this year. Damn.

cherrywaves and riotspray like this.
  23. michael_gatto

Trusted

I definitely haven't been to as many shows since having a kid, but I do agree the best way to experience hardcore most of the time is seeing it live.

24. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I think there maybe needed to be a piece at the end where he told the new people at the show to make sure they continue to go to shows and participate. I don’t think he was talking to the old heads and lifers other than to welcome the new attendees. That was my take more at least

cherrywaves and Contender like this.
  25. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Yeah felt in more in line for the “culture vultures”. Those who put in the work weren’t the ones he was talking to.