Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) TV Show • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 2, 2016.

1. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I stopped watching it weekly after she gets caught and brought back. I'll just binge it when the season's finished and hopefully there'll be some significant progress by the end of the season.

2. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I’m all caught up!

This season has been great so far.

3. bachna84

Really enjoyed the most recent episode! The Canada scenes were great. I didn’t expect to see interactions between Luke and Waterford and also Luke and Nick but it was great. Excited to see how the next four episodes go.

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

That last episode really struck me. Both me and my girlfriend cried when June met with her daughter, and had to pause it when they were separated bc of how close it resembles what literally is occurring currently in our nation. The level of historical relevancy this series is taking is at an all-time high.

bachna84 likes this.
  5. Well that episode just secured Elisabeth Moss her 2nd Emmy, right?

bachna84 and stars143 like this.
  6. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

This show is so stressful to watch. I’m finally all caught up, it’s going to be hard waiting normal amounts of time for the last two episodes

bachna84 likes this.
  7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Oh really? The week wait is justified in this case because literally every shot of each episode is seeping with tension. This is the kind of show I’d never be able to binge tbh.

bachna84, Kellan and stars143 like this.
  8. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

From the promo for next week...Bradley Whitford as a commander, amazing.

bachna84 likes this.
  9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

bachna84 and OotyPa like this.
  10. Kuri44

Was not expecting the latest episode to play out the way it did, wow. Season Finale looks like it could be intense, can’t wait.

bachna84 likes this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am starting this. Hello.

Goodbye

bachna84 likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I definitely found this season harder to watch, it being more visceral and violent and also all the whispering, why did they whisper so much
    the whole Eden thing was also hard for me
    Serena's storyline was good though, showing how even women who benefit from the patriarchy are still hurt by it

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I did not like the finale. I hate when characters do something they would never actually do for the sake of extending the show another season. I felt that’s what happened with june.

bachna84 and SpyKi like this.
  14. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

It makes sense she would want to rescue her daughter but it makes zero fucking sense she would escape from the Waterfords and decide to stay with seemingly no way of surviving in Gilead.

bachna84 and sophos34 like this.
  15. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I understand why she would want to stay and save her daughter but realistically the chances of her being able to save her daughter are near zero especially now that she has absolutely nowhere to go. I feel like it’d be easier for her to save her daughter by going to Canada reuniting with Luke and waiting for the inevitable war and liberation of Gilead

SpyKi, bachna84 and Gnarly Charlie like this.
  16. eight30

Regular

My friends that I watched with had the same thought. Save her from the outside rather than stay and who knows what is going to happen to her now. It did feel like they kept her for the sake of keeping the show going. I don't know how many more times I can watch her almost escape and then something fucks it up before I am burned out on this show.

bachna84 and sophos34 like this.
  17. You don't think that if it was possible to get someone saved from the outside that Luke or Moira wouldn't have done it already?

bachna84 likes this.
  18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I’m not saying they themselves would singlehandedly save her. But I think it’d be smarter to wait for Gilead to be liberated by the Canadian/what remains of the US and other allies in a war than stick around risking her life, even more so now that she’s gone rogue. If she gets caught she’s dead.

It’s heavily implied several times in season 2 tensions are rising (well we see it first hand in Canada) between Gilead and other nations. A war and liberation seems inevitable. I think it’d make more sense for June to reunite with her husband and best friend and put their heads together and either wait it out or get involved with whatever organizations in canada are helping the resistance efforts in Gilead.

Idk. The last scene of June deciding to stay in Gilead does not come off as what she would actually do in that situaction. She had no problem trying to get out before. Sure she saw Hannah and maybe that affected her, but what good is a dead June going to be to her daughter? I think the chances of June winding up dead are just too high to justify staying in Gilead. Obviously, given she’s the main character, she probably won’t die, but realistically if you put aside the necessities of writing a tv show I don’t see how she makes it out alive in this situation.

SpyKi likes this.
  19. bachna84

My wife and I wrapped up season two last night. I thought it was a good season overall, but I'll echo what most of you are saying in that I think the ending was a bit of a letdown, because I don't think that's how most people would have reacted in that situation.

I was hoping that she would flee to Canada, reunite with Luke and Moira, and go from there. It would have been interesting to see the media attention that an escaped handmaid got in Canada and that could have made an impact on furthering the efforts against Gilead. Anyway, I don't see a scenario where she can just return to the Waterford residence and act like nothing happened. Maybe if she brought the baby back...but that ship has sailed.

I'll still watch season 3, but I am a bit disappointed in the season 2 ending.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

How bout that "This Woman's Work" scene, huh?

21. xthricex

Regular

I think the struggle people are having in understanding June's and sometimes others decisions lack the perspective of that the handmaids are a walking trauma victims with a significant psychological strain that colors their motivations and decision making. I think you cannot judge their decisions based solely on what makes sense for them to do. June is motivated as a mother who is committed to her child's safety despite any peril that puts her in. That is not always a reasonable mentality given the brutal reality of Gilead, but she is essentially acting in an ongoing fight/flight mode and reacting from the trauma she has continued to be subjected to.

OotyPa likes this.
  22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I'm with you on that one. Also, as a man, I had trouble understanding June's final decision. It wasn't until my girlfriend put it into that context, that she is sacrificing her safety for Hannah's (especially after that awful reunion scene in which Hannah felt betrayed by her mother), that it made sense to me. Sure, it might make logical sense that it's safer to rescue Hannah after escaping herself, but June has endured so much--even witnessed the murder of two children--that she must have felt there was no time to waste.

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Finally finished season 2 and I loved most of the second half. Hated that ending though.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

First he plays a dick on Pose now this, really gonna test my love

25. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Joe and Dave Diddy like this.