Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu) TV Show • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 2, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Starting season 2 now!!!!

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

This show is fucking insane. First episode was great and just as intense as the first season.

3. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

shout out to June for hacking that tag off her ear when she could probably have waited to have a medically trained professional remove it.

sophos34 and SpyKi like this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Kate Bush!

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Holy fuck first episode is totally insane

Matt Chylak likes this.
  6. Not sure I’m readt to be depressed again. heh.

7. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

Both new eps were great. The opening to the first was insane.

Jason Tate and SpyKi like this.
  8. sophos34 Apr 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 30, 2018)
    sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

The Arca track at the beginning of episode two made that whole scene sooooo unsettling. So well done and so awesome to see an experimental queer artists music being used on this platform.

mercury and SpyKi like this.
  9. My goddddddddd. These are so good and so hard to watch.

sophos34 and SpyKi like this.
  10. Chax

I had to wait until Sunday to watch it because Canada has a different premiere date. It sucks that I have to wait after everyone's positive responses.
    So many cringe-worthy scenes, but I can't stop watching!

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Renewed!

Jason Tate, Joe, swboyd and 1 other person like this.
  12. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

First two episodes of the new season were awesome and so hard to watch (in a good way)...I'm glad Hulu releases the episodes weekly as opposed to releasing the season all at once. It makes this show so much more digestible because each episode fucks me up so much. There's no way I could binge this anyway just because of how brutal it is.

13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

This third episode is brutal dude

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Alright after that ending I can't watch this any more

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Loved this episode. This show is just too insane. The level of detail in the writing / set design / cinematography is just out of this world. Not to mention Elizabeth Moss’ killer performance all throughout. One of the best shows out rn imo.

16. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Joe likes this.
  17. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I definitely agree with a lot of that. The new season has definitely enhanced its showcasing of actual violence on screen, and the way the last episode ends completely broke my heart and made me realize how far from over this is. I don't know- I'm going to stick it out. I also remember reading that Atwood had a role in the writing process of season 2, so I have high hopes.

kaylasananjou likes this.
  18. Chax

Thanks for sharing, I have to agree with the article as well. There has been amplified violence in the first few episodes with more yet to come. From the comments above and what I felt, the show makes viewers feel like they're in the character shoes. It is important to open and continue these conversations about violence against females and what we could do because there are females suffering in similar situations.

kaylasananjou likes this.
  19. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I think where male show runners and writers go wrong is they assume we have to see it played out in gory detail, or we can’t empathize. For women, it’s traumatic to see, and sometimes it’s something we have loved. For men, it can almost have the reverse effect because then it becomes a signaling point- “it’s not as bad as that handmaid stuff, it could be soooo much worse!” Or worse, they find it arousing on some level.

I think it’s a lose-lose to add more violence to a show that did a very good job of putting a psychological dread in people. Which is what the book did too! I made the huge mistake of reading it the day after the election and had my worst week ever dealing with my anxiety. Effective writing can get the point across and leave something to the imagination. I hope that I’m wrong and it pivots back with Atwood’s guidance in the writing room.

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

21. What an emotional journey today's ep was. Not even counting the 2 most morbid weddings I've seen on tv recently ha.

22. Oh shiiiiiiiit

23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Last couple episodes have been great. This last one restored some hope.

24. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

Just watched the First Blood episode last night. What a great episode! I’m surprised this thread isn’t more active!

OotyPa likes this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I hope people haven’t written off the show since the second season. I think it does get gruesome at times but there is a prevailing sense of optimism that shines throughout. Obviously I am hoping for June’s salvation and seeing her get knocked down over and over again is hard, but I feel there’s a point all these baby steps are leading to.

I personally think this is the best show out rn

bachna84 likes this.