Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Han Solo Film Loses Its Directors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have left as directors for the Han Solo movie:

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the style and vision of Lord and Miller clashed with that of Lawrence Kasdan, the legendary screenwriter behind the classics Empire Strikes Back and ‪Raiders of the Lost Ark, who also wrote, with his son, Jon Kasdan, the script for the Han Solo stand-alone set (for now) to be released in 2018.

This sucks.

2. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

This is insane.

3. defmytones

Regular

I'd be absolutely amazed if it still comes out in 2018. Such a blow to the excitement I had going for this.

4. Between the madness that is Colin Trevorrow on IX and this news, I'm extremely worried for all future Star Wars films past Rian Johnson's VIII.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Been worried since 2011.

coleslawed likes this.
  6. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I would be much happier if they just cancelled this movie. It is unnecessary.

emeryk3 and fenway89 like this.
  7. ZeoVGM

Regular

Any new Star Wars movie was "unnecessary" but as long as they're good, does it really matter? There's a lot of story potential in Han Solo's past. The cast and original choice of directors were fantastic.

And it's almost done shooting, so they're clearly not going to cancel it.

This news is absolutely bizarre and worrying but I'll wait until the movie is out to judge it. Disney is two for two so far and they'll be three for three after December.

8. Jakob Allen

Trusted

I just havent had any faith in this project since it was announced. There are other stories that could be told, dont really need a Han Solo standalone. We shall see how it all turns out

9. ZeoVGM

Regular

It stood out as strange to me at first but the choice of directors and the cast was so damn good, I had to have faith. So it's worrying that Lord and Miller were fired but they also completed most of their work.

10. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Sounds like they don't want to get tranked.

11. All reports are that they may re-shoot a bunch and they're not gonna give the duo credit on the movie. If it really was almost done shooting, and they're gonna use that footage, and they don't give them credit? That's fuuuuucked up.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I mean, they very well might not get directing credit, but I imagine union rules are gonna mandate that they get something (probably screenwriting/story or producing.) At this point, I think the only thing that would prevent them from getting any sort of credit at all would be if they actually petition to remove their name from the project.

Read an article that said Ron Howard is in the running for replacement director, which is like.... ssssuuuuuuurrrrreeee....

13. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

For those wondering about credit, etc. the DGA is not like the WGA, which has really specific rules about credit. The DGA simply makes a final decision and that's it. There is no set criteria, other than the DGA's preference for a film to have only one director. In fact, directing duo's need an explicitly waiver to get dual credit. Thus, it is a truly arbitrary process, unlike the WGA's. It looks like there will need to be a lot of negotiating behind the scenes to figure out a lot of this.

Hollywood Reporter has a good write up about the issues and potential outcome.

GEM37 likes this.
  14. GEM37

She haunts the roads