Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 81

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

i really feel like you dont have to spend alot on a Strat to get something great. the Fender Vinteras look good.

always wanted a Ricky. id try to get one with the older toaster style pickups.

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah i’ve been looking at eastman and also heritage as options

3. phaynes12

this is kinda where i’m leaning. you can get really good strats for kinda cheap. if i find the right 335/ricky/gretsch, i’ll probably go this route. or maybe even MIM strat, eastman 335, a tele.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  4. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I want to like Heritage, but those headstocks are just not doing it for me at that price. They remind me of the Aria Pro stuff.

Also, on Stratty things, G&L might be an alternative, although I don't recall whether they do a true strat copy. I think they use unusual pickups? Their American made stuff is so damn pretty.

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

if you go Fender with the Strat then youre gonna have all of the options for mods. you never know with other brands if parts will fit and work.

I have heard that brands like Nash and Suhr can be super nice though $$

6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Anyone here have the MXR Dookie Drive? If so, how is it?

Thinking I want one. I know they say the MXR FOD is pretty much he same thing, but I hear some differences between them on YouTube demos.

7. dallasc

Trusted

Just finished my first non-kit pedal, a clone of the Keeley Katana clean boost circuit using a pcb from pedalpcb.com
    Thing sounds awesome I’m definitely hooked.
    Next project is getting some custom PCBs made for a dual stage OD pedal with a TS10 circuit and a katana boost together with an order switching toggle, gonna be rad

42C67FF9-3E90-422B-A99A-51B20A468D49.jpeg C7E5E738-CF65-46CD-9B1A-9F1C29E6DF47.jpeg

jorbjorb, MrCon, aspeedomodel and 3 others like this.
  8. phaynes12

if you ever sell any ill try them out

dallasc likes this.
  9. dallasc

Trusted

Right on yeah I’m looking into a small run of custom UV printed enclosures, gonna build a prototype and if it sounds good I think I’ll try and sell a few. I’ll let you know!

aspeedomodel and phaynes12 like this.
  10. MrCon

Love the finish on the enclosure. Great job. I got reasonably handy a building them, but I always hated the finishing. :D

dallasc likes this.
  11. dallasc

Trusted

Thanks! Yeah the finishing part has definitely involved a lot of trial and error still made a few mistake on this one but getting better at it.

Definitely going to move to powder coating and UV printing on the next ones, working with a hardware guy to design the PCB for the dual stage drive pedal right now and gonna get to designing an enclosure for it next, gonna be fun to be a little less limited in my finishing options

12. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

[​IMG]

Picked this up over the weekend. In love with it. Plays like a dream.

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Two of my newest builds completed this week. The silver tele deluxe has Bare Knuckle Black Dogs and my goodness do they rule.

8658A393-506E-4F05-A273-B6809ECDAFD1.jpeg 27CCE763-5935-47D2-91D1-5910725338B4.jpeg

jorbjorb, dallasc, phaynes12 and 4 others like this.
  14. dallasc

Trusted

Got in the first batch of custom designed PCBs for the dual stage overdrive concept I’m building, working on tracing out the prototype enclosure and gonna build it up tomorrow very stoked

ABBFC887-7BD1-4274-A3E0-C2CE19B24C31.jpeg

15. phaynes12

hell yeah

dallasc likes this.
  16. dallasc

Trusted

Still doing some tinkering, needs a couple revisions to the pcb design and an adjustment to the Jack placement on the enclosure but here’s Nightingale v1.0, definite work in progress but I’m encouraged for how the final product is gonna turn out. Using all high end components, Switchcraft jacks, super light touch footswitches, alpha potentiometers etc, and putting it in the Gorva Designs S90 enclosure which is really really slick. Gonna look nice with a powder coat and graphics

415ABAD3-88D2-4E59-BDE9-C0FD2AA3CB67.jpeg F4F1B33F-71B5-4AF3-9FBA-74AA22906FAE.jpeg 2EFEADEC-7936-4AF9-AA8D-AD931E7D882F.jpeg 6500E23B-95F3-46E2-AEC6-CE107A9330F2.jpeg

17. MrCon

Slick man. Love the knob choice.

dallasc likes this.
  18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Les Paul fans, which would you reccomend me get? Aside from a Gibson LP Jr, this would be my first more traditional Les Paul style guitar. I’ll likely end up putting in Gibson pickups in the one I end up with, so I’m not too concerned about stock pickups.

Choices:

the Jerry Cantrell LP Custom: Neck profile is artist designed and similar to a real LP custom, has an ebony fretboard, Grover tuners, and a case, weight relieved mahogany body. $829

187A2EAE-C668-4EF2-84C7-ED75E6528B94.jpeg

OR

Limited Edition Les Paul Custom “Tuxedo” with black back. Slim taper neck (60’s style), non-weight relieved mahogany body!, Grover tuners, ebony fretboard, no case. $729

E91C4F5C-D477-4FB1-BDC9-497279F5E233.jpeg

19. MrCon

Are you specifically limiting it to those two? I would want to try that Cantrell one out, largely due to the customised neck profile. I've got 60s necks on both my LPs and always found that a very comfortable shape.Typically I'm happy on Fender C shapes, the LTD thin U and the Gibson 60s. I didn't much like the profile on my SG Special and I tend to find D profile necks a bit awkward, if that's any reference for you!

If you're going to likely bin off the pickups anyway, have you looked at the Sire L7 at all? The Sire line have been getting rave reviews here. What does a secondhand LP studio go for in the US these days? Would that be too pricey?

20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

yeah, I’ve narrowed it down to these two. I’ve played the Black Back “tuxedo” LP already. I liked it. It’s nice and heavy. Feels pretty substantial compared to other LP style guitars. Didn’t care for the pickups/look of the radiator covers. Stayed in tune well. Just would change pickups to something I like. I really like the Black Back edition because Gibson only made 60 of the “tuxedo” LP customs in the 70’s. I’ve always wanted one, but they’re very rare and super expensive. This epiphone is a nod to the Gibson, minus the pickups.

the JC one just seems like such a great and high quality epiphone that’s on the brand’s high end. The weight relief doesn’t really matter much to me, but the neck does. Plus, this one will appreciate in value over time. Bridge pickup sounds good in demo’s. Not a fan of that neck pickup though.

I’ve heard about the Sire guitars. I’m just not attracted to them haha. Same goes for ESP LTDs.

MrCon likes this.
  21. bwh0005

[]

Honestly, just order the JC from guitar center if you have one close by & try it out. Then return it if you’re not a fan. I know you said you weren’t a fan of Sire/ltd but have you looked at Eastman?

MrCon likes this.
  22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

What I've decided to do is sell a guitar and a body I've got laying around and am purchasing the LP Custom Tuxedo since I played it and really enjoyed it. My sweetwater guy told me the JC's are on back order until September, So I'll just put a reserve on the JC since it doesn't cost anything until shipped. I might add-on the plek service! I don't mind paying extra for that. The JC's are pretty much sold out everywhere and already going for like $1k used. Might well reserve one at retail price and add on the plek service, which is freaking fantastic, and shouldn't be a bad extra cost for this guitar since it could probably use it and the value should still increase.

MrCon likes this.
  23. MrCon

I'm sure you'll enjoy it the Tuxedo when it arrives. There's something weirdly satisfying about a non-weight relieved model. Well, unless you're a left shoulder. :crylaugh:

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

yeah I really liked it when I played it. I have super light weight guitars so it’ll be nice to have something else and something with more traditional specs. Plus, it looks awesome with the black back! Not a fan of the open window cover on the pickups though. I’ll immediately take them off until I get some gold covered ones to make it look more in line with the OG tuxedo.

25. MrCon

The toaster tops are such an odd choice. Like they suddenly decided it needed to look more like a Gretsch or a Duesenberg.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.