Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 70

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. DR Tite-Fit 10 for guitar, DR High Beam 45 for bass. Can't remember what I have on my acoustic right now because I haven't changed the strings in an embarrassingly long time.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ernie ball cobalt 11s since i was like 14 lol

i don’t change my acoustic strings. as dead as possible please

3. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

been using ernie balls since forever too. ive tried a few others but im just so used to the feel and life cycle of the ernie balls i cant be bothered to want to change. 10s on anything w 25.5 scale length, 11s on anything 24.75

4. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Earnie ball skinny tops heavy bottoms on my jazzmaster. Elixirs I forget which on my acoustic

5. bwh0005

[]

I mostly play in Drop C, sometimes D Standard. D’addiro NYXL 11-56 are my fav.

6. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

D'Addario XTs for me. Use a mixture of acoustic (tried both bronze compounds) and a mix of 10-46 and 11-49 for the electrics. Find that having coated strings means that I can get about 3 good months out of a set, which really helps if you've got a few guitars and you want to get chance to play them all before the strings go dull.

7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

that’s pretty much me too. Recently I’ve been playing 9-46’s (Hybrid Slinky) on 25.5 and I’m loving it.

8. Ernie Ball power slinky 11s for me. I play pretty hard and rarely break those bad boys.

9. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Ernie Ball 10s on my tele but I think I'm going to try 11s on the jazzmaster when I get it set up.

On my acoustic I've always used martin medium gauge which are 13s maybe? Like 2 or 3 years ago I put on a set of the all nickel 'vintage' kind and they sounded so so terrible...til a month later when they finally broke in and sound amazing and I haven't broken or changed a string since.

dylan likes this.
  10. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

I'm constantly using different strings for both electric and acoustic. Got some erine ball super slinkys on my Ltd right now that I like

11. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Ernie Ball 10's for me. Have since I was like 11 haha. I think I need to explore options because I know there are ton out there. Just never felt the need...

12. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

i fucking broke a string yesterday

aspeedomodel likes this.
  13. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

Got a EarthQuaker Device Data Corrupter and a Boss ODB-3 coming my way this week. Im quite excited to screw around with the EQD pedal.

Surfwax and aspeedomodel like this.
  14. aspeedomodel

I have a Red Panda Tensor coming tomorrow. Really excited to dive into it.

Also got an Angry Driver pedal and it is awesome. Sounds sooo goood.

oncenowagain, Surfwax and Texas Flood like this.
  15. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

52FF370F-D2AC-425C-BEF8-2981AC8A5488.jpeg
    got this bad boy on layaway rn and only about $400 shy of it being mine :’)

MrCon, oncenowagain, Surfwax and 2 others like this.
  16. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Got a tensor about year ago and could not take the time to fully understand it back then, so I’ve kind of goofed on it here and there.

Hoping to really experiment with it some more when I’ve got time this summer.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  17. aspeedomodel

I've been really curious in it for awhile, but there were a few videos that REALLY showed the potential to me that made me go for it.

oncenowagain likes this.
  18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I don't know why The Hard Times had to expose me like this

19. AlwaysEvolving21 May 28, 2021
    (Last edited: May 28, 2021)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Anyone ever purchase an Allen Eden Strat body for a build? They’re on reverb and eBay. Based in CA, but manufactured in China. They sell alder bodies unfinished or with nitro or poly finishes.

I went on whim and purchased two hardtail Strat bodies from them. A vintage spec and modern spec. Vintage spec is a nitro relic with satin poly on top and a black poly finish.

Surprisingly, they both look pretty rad and my Fender American parts fit right in with no issues. I only have to drill a hole for the grounding wire near the bridge, but for a $180 relic 3TB body and $110 poly body....I’m super happy with this discovery haha.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

2224A961-6BE2-4EA7-90FA-04EA2FE5941E.jpeg D2856092-8DA5-4D30-B4B0-C31710F7C6D1.jpeg
    Fender Vintage hardtail bridge will go on this one.

aspeedomodel and hermanthehermit like this.
  21. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Random little Gibson rant today. Although, maybe it's a rant at the guitar buying public.

There's a UK Gibson selling/trades Facebook group, which I mainly love watching for the aggro (although some really cool stuff shows up too).

Today I saw someone post something I thought was a con. They posted a 2019 LP Standard, 50s Goldtop with P90s. I looked at it and thought it looked exactly the the same as the previous year's 2018 LP Classic and thought maybe they were being a bit cheeky and had just changed the truss rod cover.

I did a little digging and there are two distinct models and the only spec difference I can see between the two is that the Classic has a slim taper (60s) neck and big chrome Grover tuners. The 50s standard P90 has a 50s neck (duh) and Gibson Deluxe tuners. So far as I can see though, everything else is the same; mahogany/maple sandwich, bound body, rosewood board, ABR1 bridge, same pickups. Oh, the other main difference is what is written on the truss rod cover, along with the ~£400 list price difference. I cannot get my head around how easily people are parted from their money for the word 'Standard'.

Since it's a goldtop, it doesn't even look like a standard anyway! No flame top or burst or anything. Crazy stuff.

In other news, I've got an opportunity to buy an '88 Burny RLG60 and I'm so very tempted...

22. breanntisien Jun 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2021)
    breanntisien

You haven’t changed strings - it is not a big deal. I’ve lost my acoustic guitar when I moved to a new place. I have absolutely no idea how it is possible. An acoustic guitar is not that small to be lost like that. I suspect it was stolen by the guys from the moving company I hired. The most frustrating part is that before that, I’ve found some country guitar books. They tell about different playing techniques, which I wanted to practice, then I’ve realized that my guitar was gone.

23. aspeedomodel

I bought a Boss DD-7 for $30 the other day, it was marked as for parts/repair because the guy said it suddenly stopped working.

Took it home and it works perfectly, no issues. Maybe he had wrong power supply or didn't understand the tap-tempo I dunno, but SCORE!

mr_november, Texas Flood and MrCon like this.
  24. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

D14058B1-3E84-4AE8-B70F-8B284D745AF1.jpeg
    added this bad boy to the collection today and thought I’d post it in here. late 60s Harmony H-165 that’s been totally renovated, X-braced, and it plays and sounds astounding. I’d take it over any modern acoustic I have ever played, easily.

anyway, I took a quick little iPhone video of me playing an original on it, if anyone is interested!

25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

New Jazzmaster build is complete!
    -3 tone traditional burst on Alder hardtail body
    -Fender American Professional Jazzmaster neck
    -Black Fender locking tuners
    -Black American standard hardtail bridge
    -Duncan Custom SH-5 Humbucker with black chrome cover
    -Custom cut pickguard
    -Black string ferrules and black neck plate
    -Has a battery box on the back incase I want an active pickup in there. I might try one at some point.

A59B07BC-AAF1-47F5-89B6-017F475725B2.jpeg 5EB80DE0-CFFF-42FA-B5CD-75ED5CA45D91.jpeg