Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I definitely don't gig and have never. Sorry. The Princeton seems to be an extremely loud amp though

You might go with a Twin Reverb or the Vibrolux if you're worried about it though. Couple hundy more than the 65' Princeton amounts to only a couple bucks more a month if financed lol

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Bassmans also seem really badass

3. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Yeah I was looking at the vibrolux too. Looks great. So many more options now making it just as difficult haha

4. EngineDown

I would have killed for those in the past when I played heavier, more sludgy stuff. Playing has cleaned up quite a bit/looking for a brighter tone

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Any classical players in here?

6. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I've tried a few things out through them. They're quite good fun, but the overdrive tone is pretty crap to my ears. I never really care for anything more than mild overdrive from a stereotypical Fender amp though. Higher gain always seems to end up sort of fuzzy.

7. EngineDown

Alright I settled on my final two choices being between a Vox AC30 w/Celestion Alcino Blues or one of the Fender Vibrolux Reissues. Halp

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  8. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

No input to give other than I think an AC30 will be something I purchase soon.

9. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Any way for you to play the two in person?

10. EngineDown

Unfortunately no, as neither amp is in stock in the two stores we have here haha

11. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

I am not a classical player at all, but I really like the style. I only dabble in it when teaching fingerpicking and rhythms and things like that.

if you have anything of yours to share, I'd definitely check it out.

12. EngineDown

Got the AC30 w/alcino blues ayyy

13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Cool dude! where'd you get it from?

14. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

EngineDown likes this.
  15. EngineDown

Sweetwater. Had the same deal as GC going on and I've dealt with SW before

Your Milkshake likes this.
  16. EngineDown

fuck man, this approval from sweetwater is taking foreverrrrr, i feel like i'm gonna miss the 0% deal deadline

17. EngineDown

I guess it takes like up to two months for approval. Fuck. There goes getting the AC30

18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

really? mine took like 20 minutes at GC.

19. EngineDown

Did you do it in the store or online?

Anybody know anything about heads + cabs? Is a 30w head + cab going to be the same volume as a 30w combo? Sry for dumb Qs

20. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

In store

21. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

Prefacing this by saying that I am not an expert at all.

That being said, I think it would be the same as long as it's the same kind of amp and speakers. I've seen people take their combos apart and make a head out of it and it seemed to function just like the ones that come as a head.

Also (you may already know this) a good 30w amp is likely good enough to gig with. I've been touring with a Rebel 30 and a 2x12 a few times a year since 2010. Haven't had played a place yet that the 30 wasn't powerful enough for. Rarely have to push it very hard, and it works well in low volume for a practice amp.

Also also, saw you're getting the Alnico's!! Let me know how you like them once you've had a chance to break them in (if you're still getting them).
    Been saving for an Avatar with Alnico's for a while now.

Hope any of that helps at all.

22. EngineDown

Was hoping to get them but it doesn't look like its gonna work out now unfortunately.

But that's all good to know, kinda what I figured. Thanks! I was worried bc my buddy with an AC30 w/greenbacks was complaining and telling me they aren't loud enough but his band runs in more of a house show scene so I would imagine that's why

Robk likes this.
  23. EngineDown

24. EngineDown

Got an AC15. I'll just get an extension cab or upgrade the speakers if it ends up being too quiet

Robk likes this.
  25. Bernie

Been thinking about trying to learn guitar. Any suggestions as far as gear to start? Been thinking something like a Yamaha FG700S for acoustic since it's cheap and people say it doesn't suck.

But electric might be a decent choice as well since I could just use it without an amp and suck quietly instead of loudly sucking with the acoustic. I have no ideas what to get if I would go electric though.