Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 59

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Randall Mentzos May 10, 2020
    (Last edited: May 10, 2020)
    Randall Mentzos

Listen to my EP: terrainofficial .bandcamp.com Prestigious

Eh I think it's kind of implied, they just don't actually put it in the tab. No one is a robot who can warp their hand in 0.00 seconds to the next chord haha, there's always gonna be that little split second of time it takes to switch chords if the chords aren't super close together. If you listen closely on any album, fast-strummed parts always have that little open string transition between chords. It's just the natural way to do it, trying to hop immediately from chord to chord and keep it clean is impossible and would sound forced and robotic if you tried to be that rigid.

I don't think it sounds unclean to "shift gears" between fast chords so to speak, as long as you're rhythmic about it it just sounds like an intentional scratch-strum. The distortion & drums typically cover that up and it never sounds "off" in the studio. I'm very particular about every note being played with the right intensity and volume, and it never bothers me.

oncenowagain likes this.
  2. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

What is everyone’s opinion on buying new guitars with relicing

I’ve seen some heated conversations on Instagram posts from builders and distributors posting pics of their guitars/basses with light to heavy relicing

3. Randall Mentzos

I don't agree with it personally but I don't see why anyone would get HEATED about it haha

I just feel like you can either have a company sell you the image of being a seasoned musician with worn gear... or you can just go do it haha. I don't see why you'd want that "image" if you're not actually a regular touring musician and you're more of a hobbyist. Why would it matter then if people perceive wear and tear on your rig?

I'd figure a hobbyist wants a SWANKY guitar not one that's intentionally worn out & aged, especially since relic guitars also cost more than they should.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  4. oncenowagain May 12, 2020
    (Last edited: May 12, 2020)
    oncenowagain

Yeah there are people downright outraged by it. I’m just kind eh about it. Some builders pull it off really well when they put some light aging (thinking of Fano guitars), and I can see some aesthetic appeal in them, but there’s this whole “if you want you guitar to look like it’s been played then play it!” crowd.

It is crazy how it’s seemingly becoming more and more common now and that it’s something that builders are charging wild premiums to do. But, I guess it wouldn’t be offered if there weren’t a pretty good market for it.

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.
  5. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

pretty much agree 100%. the relic look is pretty cool imo but if i wanted to pay money for that id just go buy an old used/vintage guitar. otherwise im just gonna keep playing what i got and however they age over time is what it is ha. nothing wrong w a new looking guitar either.

Randall Mentzos likes this.
  6. Randall Mentzos

Yeah, it's just a trend I don't get. I could maybe see the appeal if it was to deliberately improve the sound of the guitar rather than simply cosmetic.

However, people can buy whatever kind of guitars they want lol who cares. If a person wants to get ripped off for purposely scuffed wood that they could easily have scuffed themselves if they wanted to fabricate that image, thats their prerogative lol.

7. I don’t particularly like the look of a new relic guitar, but I also really want a Nash Telecaster, and I think they all have relic finishes.

8. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

i think some of the appeal might be getting the aesthetic but w/o the potential maintenance needs that could pop up w an old guitar thats seen a lot of wear and tear. i mean i get it but for me personally its not worth paying for.

oncenowagain likes this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

some of the best guitar brands out there (Novo, nash, fender CS) do relic jobs on their best guitars. couldn't imagine wanting a worse guitar just bc it looks mint.

10. Randall Mentzos

You’re not limited to buying the relic version of whatever guitar it is though.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

never owned any but being outraged over reliced stuff is extremely dumb

12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

it’s like when you see those forum posts that ask “how do I sound like my favorite band” and then you open it up and everyone’s like “why would you want to sound like anybody but yourself derppp”

maybe because they want to play a song on their guitar?? Lol guitar culture attracts way too many weird idiots - maybe it’s a gen x or boomer thing yet again

13. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d buy a reliced tele body for a partscaster if I could ever find cool and cheap one

14. phaynes12

1000%

15. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I'm not a fan of relics, just because it seems a bit disingenuous as an aesthetic to me. That being said though, there are plenty of other cosmetic options on guitars I don't like and I don't care if people buy those either. If you want to pretend your guitar is old, spend your money on that. Makes no odds to me. :shrug:

16. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

^ever bought a piece of distressed furniture, or ripped jeans, or a used vehicle, etc?

17. MrCon

On distressed furniture or ripped jeans, no. Buying something used which is genuinely worn isn't the same. I'm not adverse to owning things which have aged. It's not like I sell my guitars just because they're starting to look worn in. :crylaugh:

18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

sometimes you can’t tell when something is genuinely worn or not ha

19. phaynes12

why are we still talking about this lol

a_cuppa_joe likes this.
  20. MrCon

Apparently it is a big deal after all. :crylaugh:

21. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

to you lol

you said the words ‘disingenuous’ and ‘pretend‘ in a conversation about guitars

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  22. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

i get it. and for folks with a poly finished guitar natural aging isn't likely to happen over a reasonable amount of time.

personally, i'd rather put in mods that i'll never use and then tear it down in a few months to try something else rather than mess with the finish/appearance

23. MrCon

I mean, I also pretty clearly said it doesn't bother me if other people want to choose that route, so whatever man. Not sure why you're getting chippy over it. :shrug:

24. oncenowagain

skogsraet likes this.
  25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Got my hands on an old beat up Tom Delonge squier body and decided to bring it back to my life, but with my own touch. Finished up the paint job and just letting it cure for a bit before clear coating/sanding/polishing. I'll be putting on a custom TD style white with black beveled edge pickguard and going with a vintage style 8 screw hole placement for it. I'll be throwing on some chrome hardware and a zebra invader for fun. I was shocked how well this came out! I have an old CBS strat neck sitting around I'll throw on it too.

IMG_2587.jpeg

MrCon, bradsonemanband and skogsraet like this.