Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 54

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

The Plumes looks interesting. Definitely could swap my TS9 out for this.

Also debating about an Ebow, since I still don't own one.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i don't love the bit commander haha. it's a super fun pedal but i don't find it super usable other than wonking around

3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

what do you like/want?

ehx, boss, and tc have a bunch of great stuff thats not very expensive

4. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

that's true for a lot of EQD pedals haha (and i mean that in a good way). my cousin techs for bands and he told me one of the guys he worked for had a rainbow machine on his board that he literally only used to generate noise at the end of the set and for nothing else.

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Depends what I already had.

Having a browse through GC (just new stuff, I haven't looked at the 3000+ second hand pedals they have), standouts to me would be:

Ibanez Tube Screamer (or the mini version)
    Boss Blues Driver
    Crybaby Mini (I have one of these and it's a fun little pedal, could go for the big one if you have huge feet)
    Loads of Big Muff variants available at that price
    EHX Memory Toy

They're all pretty boring and obvious though. There was loads of stuff which would be worth a look.

If you've already got a load of pedals, then you could look at more utility stuff (like a line selector, noise suppressor or compressor).

You must be pretty close to being able to get a TC Flashback 2 or HoF 2, particularly second hand.

6. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Right now my chain is a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster/Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro ->Boss TU3 -> EHX Freeze -> Ibanez TS9 -> EHX Holy Grail -> Fender Frontman 25R

Been looking at some TC stuff and the Big Muff line, and both have piqued my interest.

7. MrCon

Would advise trying out a few of the Big Muffs and preferably into an SS amp too. They can sound wildly different. I've had 3 different ones and found two of them to be pretty much unusable for me.

Sounds like a wah, delay or some modulation would fit into your rig nicely? Happy hunting!

8. MrCon

Speaking of pedals, anyone else intrigued by the new Boss 200 series stuff? The MD200 (modulation) one has got my interest piqued. I sold my BF3 and CE5 years back and never replaced them, so modulation is something my board is badly missing. I'm kind of broke at the moment, but there's a very real possibility that my board might get a revamp later this year if the MD200 is any good.

9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

those zoom cdr multistomps kill it

MrCon likes this.
  10. phaynes12

did my own arrangement for this, pretty much the first time i've kinda did one that's entirely my own and not going off someone else's version

Your Milkshake likes this.
  11. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

What’s the verdict on Ernie Ball basses?

12. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Anybody here use Amplitube? I downloaded last night and was struggling to get a sound I want with the free sims. Wondering if anyone has used any of the paid effects and if they’re worth it

13. phaynes12

driving myself crazy looking at Novos

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

15. phaynes12

hell yeah. that rules. saw a j mascis jazzy with a mastery on reverb i might grab

also, trying to be ambitious and post a riff a day on IG, if anyone’s interested:
    http://instagram.com/_patrickhaynes

16. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Love going to replace my tuners after having been sitting on it for like a year only to have them be the wrong fit

17. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

>Installed new pickups in Explorer
    >Bridge pickup works perfectly
    >Neck pickup produces very low output even at maximum volume (think the sound of a pickup with the volume rolled down to like, 1 or 2, if that, even)
    >desoldered and resoldered pickup wires to bridge pot and desoldered and resoldered both points on the neck pot terminal
    >spritzed a bit of electronics cleaner in the toggle switch wiring and pots (this worked for a different guitar with a similar issue a while back)
    >still produces low output
    >what do

(Pickups are brand new for the record)

18. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

Depending on the pickups you can adjust the height of the pole pieces

19. MrCon

Have you tried putting the original neck pickup (or another pickup you know works) in? Maybe you got a dud.

20. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Oops, forgot to mention, yeah I tried that. Same result.

21. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

This is a Lace pickup, so it’s just like a solid bar, no exposed pole pieces. I feel like it’s definitely an issue with the wiring at some solder point somewhere in the guitar, since swapping in a different pickup gives me the same result. Plus, the sound of it is so thin and weak that you can tell it’s not just a height/pole piece/etc issue. If only it were that simple a fix haha

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I once played a guitar that had two different pickups, one much higher output than the other. Big volume issues switching between the two.

probably not your issue but ya know

23. MrCon

That sounds like a switch issue to me. You got a spare one around? Is it a type which you could wire backwards to see if the problem moves to the bridge instead?

The only time I've had a similar problem to that it was a switch problem. It was solved by using some switch contact cleaner, which you've already done.

Other possibility is that you've used a component with too high a resistance somewhere? I'm not sure from your original description whether you've changed any other parts and if it was all working prior to the pickup swap.

24. phaynes12

local dealer is having a big anniversary sale, they have a lot of higher end PRS, Fender CS, Collings and Novo stuff. might have to go take a peak bc they have great financing too.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  25. MrCon

Dangerous game. Send pictures. :devil: