Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 44

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. anyone here use the NUX Solid Studio?

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Sold my first thing on Reverb and someone wants a refund, because the pedal apparently "just squeals". Pedal was only lightly used and I tested it before shipping out. Can't help but think there's something suspect there.

3. But you’re “MrCon”!

4. MrCon

Ahaha. I don't use that as a username anywhere that I'm trying to sell stuff. It's far too obvious!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. what kind of pedal is it?

i used to have a delay pedal that would scream when i activated it, depending on where i put it in my chain. it was the worst. but when it was in a good spot, it worked fine. maybe the fellow is having a similar situation.

6. MrCon

It's a Tone City Model B. I know it can oscillate if the controls are set crazy, but it just shrieking all the time seems a bit weird.

He says he's happy enough to take the postal info and try claiming compensation from them. Fingers crossed, they pay out and it ceases to be my issue.

7. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

Finally got around to picking up a Les Paul: got one of the Epiphones with a Koa top. It was used and came with Duncan invaders which are far to metal for me, so I picked up a blk/tri CRONE for the bridge and a Dimarzio Dp190 for the neck. Thing sustains for days and hopefully new pups will give me the dynamics I'm looking for.

Also snagged a deadbeat wet dreams chorus during their sale. I think it's my new favorite chorus sound. So easy to get a warm modulation without just aping a small clone or whatever.

fluxyjoe likes this.
  8. I just set up this semi-hollow that I bought for $140. The quality is amazing; all it needed was to be set up to my liking. I'm looking to upgrade it with some pickups but I have no idea where and how to start researching. These sound incredible, but I don't know if they're worth the money or even compatible with the guitar. Any suggestions or good reference material? Thanks!

9. MrCon

Argh. Spotted a limited edition red Blues Junior for £270. So very tempted.

10. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Anyone have any advice for drilling new holes for strap buttons? The original hole near the neck is basically shot as a the screw ripped out.

Also in the market for a new nut, tuners, and strap locks for my Epi Les Paul if anyone has any recs

11. jorbjorb

7 rings

do the toothpick trick.
    can confirm it works.

12. MrCon

Try putting some of the TUSQ/Graphtech stuff on. I replaced the nut and saddles on a Mexican strat and the difference in playability was unreal. What sort of LP is it? I thought the tuners on the Epiphones were often Grovers?

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  13. MexicanGuitars Dec 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 30, 2018)
    MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Apparently it’s a Japanese-made LP standard from the early 1990s. They’re pretty cheap so don’t think they’re Grovers lol

Edit: Only now for the first time looked it up with the serial code. 1989 made in Korea

14. MrCon

Interesting. Hopefully they used fairly standard measurements on those, otherwise after-market parts might be a bitch to find. I'd still say that nut and saddle upgrades are what you'll feel the most. With it being an old guitar, have a look at getting a fret polishing kit too. I did that on some of my older guitars and it's quite a good way to improve things, without spending much money.

I've not replaced any tuners on a 3 a-side guitar, but the big chrome grovers on my LP classic are nice. Higher gear ratios and locking mechanisms are nice additions, but tbh, I think tuners are one of those upgrades where you don't get a lot of value.

15. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

Been lowkey trying to learn the solo section to Welcome Home by Coheed. Got the first part and the outro done, now down to the rest.

MrCon likes this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

bradsonemanband and musicfan9795 like this.
  17. MrCon

This is cool and the guy has clearly thought about how to make the whole thing work, but I'd be really surprised if it doesn't sound fairly crappy. I'd also expect that it might be a bit fragile.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  18. Dog with a Blog

It actually sounds surprisingly decent.

Starts playing about 8 minutes into the video

19. MrCon

I watched the video to check that out. The soundclip was a bit hard to believe. He seems to show him playing through a tiny little practice amp, but it sounds way better than it would seem possible through that. Helps that the dude plays really nicely.

20. Crazy!

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I've been doing this as well! This youtube lesson helped quite a bit:

I just finished up memorizing all the parts, now I just need to work up my speed and accuracy.

MrCon likes this.
  22. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I haven't played guitar in a good 8 years and don't own one anymore, and I'm currently very tempted to buy one and pick it back up. I had so much fun with it and I need better hobbies haha.

23. MrCon

Sounds like you need a NGD!

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  24. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I think I'm gonna sell my studio monitors that are just taking up space at the moment, and use the money to go towards a G&L ASAT or something

25. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Love the ASAT. Sucker for that tele-style though.